Road trip tips?

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
We are taking DD to my parents house this weekend. It is a 6-8 hour drive and we're planning on leaving as soon as DH gets off work on Friday. It might be 4pm it might be 6:30. We've done this a few times, but she has always slept most of the trip, last time she slept for an hour and was then awake for the rest of the ride.

We have a DVD player, but it's not attached to anything so I'm iffy about using it. She is RF'ing in a Marathon. My maxima doesn't have movable headrests in the backseats, they are molded so I don't think we could find any way to secure the DVD player.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for a road trips with a very active toddler?

ADS

xursusmaritimusx

we're kinda the road trip masters around here lol
actually, we're just hours back from a 6 day trip to san francisco, which took us 14 hours each way.

my dd is almost 3 but we've been making the trip since she was born.

lots of snacks will be your friend!
new toys, magna doodle, books that stay IN the car so they are "new" for the ride back as well.
fun kids cd's
frequent stops
have someone sit in the back
lots of singing and silly games
try to wear your child out during the day before you hit the road, usually a guarantee to sleep in the car!

Mommy2Marcus

we're kinda the road trip masters around here lol
actually, we're just hours back from a 6 day trip to san francisco, which took us 14 hours each way.

my dd is almost 3 but we've been making the trip since she was born.

lots of snacks will be your friend!
new toys, magna doodle, books that stay IN the car so they are "new" for the ride back as well.
fun kids cd's
frequent stops
have someone sit in the back
lots of singing and silly games
try to wear your child out during the day before you hit the road, usually a guarantee to sleep in the car!

I agree with this 100%! I have been making 3-4 hour drives with Marcus since he was about 6 weeks old. We also, about 1 month ago, took a LONG 9 hour ride to & from FL. On the way there he slept till about 1 hour before we arrived as we drove overnight. Then on the way back, we left about mid day. He slept for about 2 hours of that way.

What we did was make sure he had his most favorite thing in the world with him, his puppy, which is his lovey. We then took some cars, trucks & a few small other toys. We also took his DVD player. Another thought would be a soft mirror, so she can see herself. I know when Marcus was that age he LOVED mirrors. He would talk to himself for a long time as well as laugh at himself. Toys that make noise are good to. If she likes to color then a coloring book & some crayons would be good. Pretty much anything that is noisey & that she really loves will help!

Good Luck! It is doable, but can be a little crazy!

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the tips! Thats pretty much what I had in mind- just wondering if anyone had any different suggestions. I can't do the mirror. I bet she'd like it, but the headrests on the backseats are molded in the seat, so I have nowhere to fasten it to. I think I tried to do it to a TT anchor but it didn't work.

We'll more than likely be leaving about an hour before her bedtime, so hopefully she will sleep most of the way. Last time she slept for the first hour and was awake for the rest of the trip. Not fun...

ks1978

We made some file folder activities with velcro that DD2 really enjoys. They are easy to make and I just used packing tape to "laminate" them. She will sit still during the older kids soccer games to play with these. FileFolderactivities
more

There are lots of these you can do on your own do also, without the links. I waas thinking it would be fun to do a picture one with family also. Good luck on your trip!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC