Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Ponder about what seat to buy

We have a 2000 quest and I think I was able to get a three across the back with a compass booster, FlexLoc, FFRadianXT. Then in the second row we have two nautis. I know my days are numbered with the FL (I am thinking 4-6mo tops) plus the practicality of being able to use an infant seat in the back is iffy for us. I know I got the infant seat to fit but I can't recall if I decided the handle position was acceptable (I think it would work in sitting upright out of the car mode (A position???)) So assuming we keep this vehicle for any length of time what should my next purchase be? Radian (65 or xt) or something like one or two Britax boosters with ffing radian in between (won't fit rfing)?
    I have a 8yo currently in a Regent but he'd move to a booster unless I did something like radian(3yo) flexloc(infant) radian(5yo) for a short period and moved the regent to the second row. Then 6yo in nauti but probably pretty ready for booster if need be, then 5 yo 40ish pounds in nauti, 3 yo 36 pounder in ffing radian (in only spot without a tether which is why he is ffing, all other available tethers are taken) and baby due in Dec. We also have 2 EFTAs as spares.

to summerize, I hope:
    Kids:
    8yo 65 pounds
    6yo 55 pounds
    5yo 40 pounds
    3yo 36 pounds
    infant

Available seats:
    1 Regent
    2x nauti
    2x efta
    1 Radian XT
    1 FlexLoc

Seats I am considering:
    additional XT or 65
    britaxSGs 1 or 2

I don't think I have tried the Nauti as a booster but I don't think it matters as it is too wide and might as well be used harnessed if width is not an issue.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member melniemi's Avatar

Re: Ponder about what seat to buy

I had my keyfit in the third row for 2 days before I decided it sucked really really bad. I had a booster in the front captain's chair that I would take off, fold down the captain's chair and reach back to put the kf in. Awkward and not cool. And I didn't want my 5 yo in a booster full time and it's the only way it fit.

So I got the modular seats for my van so I can have 3 across the middle row rather than 2 captain's chairs.

So just a thought. Infant seats in the third row really isn't convenient at all - or at least I didn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by melniemi View Post
    I had my keyfit in the third row for 2 days before I decided it sucked really really bad. I had a booster in the front captain's chair that I would take off, fold down the captain's chair and reach back to put the kf in. Awkward and not cool. And I didn't want my 5 yo in a booster full time and it's the only way it fit.

So I got the modular seats for my van so I can have 3 across the middle row rather than 2 captain's chairs.

So just a thought. Infant seats in the third row really isn't convenient at all - or at least I didn't think so.
    yeah I was trying to figure out what to buy and skip the infant seat altogether or a set up to get the infant seat in the second row I suppose. I am not sure the 2000 quest has an option for a 3rd row in the second row like I think ford?? does with windstars? If I kept the infant seat I can't even load it in the car I don't think. I think we'd have to load the tiny into the set up seat from the trunk... yuck1 yuck yuck! Unless we figured out another set up for 3 forward seats n the rear and like I said I am not sure if it could/should be booster, radian booster or attempt radian radian booster. Trying to think what is best long term yet still be safe/wise in the current. My 6 yo still has a while in the nauti I think but eventually he will no doubt about it need a booster. I need to get down and see if I can find a place with 2 sgs to attempt a sg, radian, sg...

Senior Community Member melniemi's Avatar

How wide is your third row? Mine is 48ish" and I had a hard time finding seats that mesh. I think you could do radian/marathon/parkway all ffing since they would mesh so well.

I think I would do two radians and the regent in the rear, with one nautilus in the middle and baby in middle (in your choice of seat) possibly the EFTA.

This would be how I see your kids in seats:
    8yo 65 pounds - Regent
    6yo 55 pounds - radian
    5yo 40 pounds - radian
    3yo 36 pounds - nautilus
    infant - EFTA

The reason I sugest the 8yr old in the regent is mainly because three across can make it hard for them to buckle the booster, lack of space to put their hand in to buckle the buckle. Also this minimizes the risk of them accidentally unbuckling the neighboring seat while buckling themselves. If regent not fit with two radians I would suggest a radian 80 (or XT)
    10.5yr old Topside Booster, 9yr old Topside, 6yr old Topside, 4yr old RXT RF, 2yr old RXT RF

Combi Coccorro waiting