Ponder about what seat to buy

4boysmom

We have a 2000 quest and I think I was able to get a three across the back with a compass booster, FlexLoc, FFRadianXT. Then in the second row we have two nautis. I know my days are numbered with the FL (I am thinking 4-6mo tops) plus the practicality of being able to use an infant seat in the back is iffy for us. I know I got the infant seat to fit but I can't recall if I decided the handle position was acceptable (I think it would work in sitting upright out of the car mode (A position???)) So assuming we keep this vehicle for any length of time what should my next purchase be? Radian (65 or xt) or something like one or two Britax boosters with ffing radian in between (won't fit rfing)?
I have a 8yo currently in a Regent but he'd move to a booster unless I did something like radian(3yo) flexloc(infant) radian(5yo) for a short period and moved the regent to the second row. Then 6yo in nauti but probably pretty ready for booster if need be, then 5 yo 40ish pounds in nauti, 3 yo 36 pounder in ffing radian (in only spot without a tether which is why he is ffing, all other available tethers are taken) and baby due in Dec. We also have 2 EFTAs as spares.

to summerize, I hope:
Kids:
8yo 65 pounds
6yo 55 pounds
5yo 40 pounds
3yo 36 pounds
infant

Available seats:
1 Regent
2x nauti
2x efta
1 Radian XT
1 FlexLoc

Seats I am considering:
additional XT or 65
britaxSGs 1 or 2

I don't think I have tried the Nauti as a booster but I don't think it matters as it is too wide and might as well be used harnessed if width is not an issue.

ADS

melniemi

I had my keyfit in the third row for 2 days before I decided it sucked really really bad. I had a booster in the front captain's chair that I would take off, fold down the captain's chair and reach back to put the kf in. Awkward and not cool. And I didn't want my 5 yo in a booster full time and it's the only way it fit.

So I got the modular seats for my van so I can have 3 across the middle row rather than 2 captain's chairs.

So just a thought. Infant seats in the third row really isn't convenient at all - or at least I didn't think so.

4boysmom

I had my keyfit in the third row for 2 days before I decided it sucked really really bad. I had a booster in the front captain's chair that I would take off, fold down the captain's chair and reach back to put the kf in. Awkward and not cool. And I didn't want my 5 yo in a booster full time and it's the only way it fit.

So I got the modular seats for my van so I can have 3 across the middle row rather than 2 captain's chairs.

So just a thought. Infant seats in the third row really isn't convenient at all - or at least I didn't think so.

yeah I was trying to figure out what to buy and skip the infant seat altogether or a set up to get the infant seat in the second row I suppose. I am not sure the 2000 quest has an option for a 3rd row in the second row like I think ford?? does with windstars? If I kept the infant seat I can't even load it in the car I don't think. I think we'd have to load the tiny into the set up seat from the trunk... yuck1 yuck yuck! Unless we figured out another set up for 3 forward seats n the rear and like I said I am not sure if it could/should be booster, radian booster or attempt radian radian booster. Trying to think what is best long term yet still be safe/wise in the current. My 6 yo still has a while in the nauti I think but eventually he will no doubt about it need a booster. I need to get down and see if I can find a place with 2 sgs to attempt a sg, radian, sg...

melniemi

How wide is your third row? Mine is 48ish" and I had a hard time finding seats that mesh. I think you could do radian/marathon/parkway all ffing since they would mesh so well.

swtgi1982

I think I would do two radians and the regent in the rear, with one nautilus in the middle and baby in middle (in your choice of seat) possibly the EFTA.

This would be how I see your kids in seats:
8yo 65 pounds - Regent
6yo 55 pounds - radian
5yo 40 pounds - radian
3yo 36 pounds - nautilus
infant - EFTA

The reason I sugest the 8yr old in the regent is mainly because three across can make it hard for them to buckle the booster, lack of space to put their hand in to buckle the buckle. Also this minimizes the risk of them accidentally unbuckling the neighboring seat while buckling themselves. If regent not fit with two radians I would suggest a radian 80 (or XT)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC