Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Arm cast and GN

Arm cast and GN

My dd is going to have surgery on Friday her right arm will be in a cast up to or above her elbow will not know it happens. 3 weeks the case will be on. A soft cast not hard she may be able to bend the arm at the elbow or may not be. We have a GN its normally installed in the middle.

How hard is it going to be to get her in her seat for the next 3 weeks? Her seat is in the middle Ford F150 supercrew truck. Would moving it outboard be better if so any side easier then the other? She just turned 4 in June and can not buy another seat. We do have a Vivo but thats a last resort. (has rode it in 1 time because her GN did not fit in the Jeep commander as we needed another hbb installed in the only spot middle 2nd row that it would fit. It was a longer ride then expected she did great it in though. I know if we had to use it we can just don't want to)

Her surgery is nothing major just removing the nubs on her right hand where her fingers did not develop all the way. Its just tissue no bone but they want her in a cast so it stays clean.

TIA
    Halie 6/5/2005 between 1 month and 3 months old
    Hannah 9/14/2012 3 weeks old

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Arm cast and GN

If you have her not totally sit in the seat, and put her right arm in the straps first, it should be easy. Just loosen the straps up.

CPS Fanatic

i would tighten & loosen the harness with each trip in/out of car to make it easier. casted arm goes in first
    Ginny
    Mom to 4!
    DS1 16yo, DS2 15yo, DD 11yo & DS3 9yo

Senior Community Member myliljunebugs's Avatar

DD had a cast on her arm last spring and was riding in the Nauti at the time. The cast was to her elbow and we didn't even loosen the straps. She just sat kinda sideways and put that arm in first. No problems whatsoever!

Connor, 11 years, 5' 112lbs, seatbelt
    Ella, 8 years, 52" 60lb, FR 85, PW

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

When my daughter had her arm in a sling she had trouble getting in and out of her Nautilus, but that was due more to the pain of moving the arm than the awkward contortions required. If this surgery is going to be on the hand part, not the shoulder or the elbow, I think she should be okay.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Not sure about the GN seat but when my son had surgery on both hands and had bilateral cast all the way above his elbows, I pulled the harness straps all the way out every time I put him in and out of his car seat... gosh that was a looong time ago
    Momma to three munchkins! Own a Recaro ProSport, FR85, TF, Blvd70, Scenera, Radian, Britax Chaperone, Evenflo HBB, Evenflo NBB ... cruising around in a 2011 Ford Explorer and 2011 F-150

thanks I do loosen when she gets in already as I seem to over tighten it but she does not complain once I get the harness tight we have trouble getting her back in lol. I should be able to leave it in the middle and just put her right arm in first and then left arm and when getting out left arm out then right? It wont matter if the arm can or can not bend right.
    Halie 6/5/2005 between 1 month and 3 months old
    Hannah 9/14/2012 3 weeks old

Senior Community Member myliljunebugs's Avatar

Yeah, either way it should be fine. Her first "cast" was done at the ER and it was above the elbow. It was a little more difficult than the new cast, but it was HUGE also.

Connor, 11 years, 5' 112lbs, seatbelt
    Ella, 8 years, 52" 60lb, FR 85, PW