Arm cast and GN

mburks26

My dd is going to have surgery on Friday her right arm will be in a cast up to or above her elbow will not know it happens. 3 weeks the case will be on. A soft cast not hard she may be able to bend the arm at the elbow or may not be. We have a GN its normally installed in the middle.

How hard is it going to be to get her in her seat for the next 3 weeks? Her seat is in the middle Ford F150 supercrew truck. Would moving it outboard be better if so any side easier then the other? She just turned 4 in June and can not buy another seat. We do have a Vivo but thats a last resort. (has rode it in 1 time because her GN did not fit in the Jeep commander as we needed another hbb installed in the only spot middle 2nd row that it would fit. It was a longer ride then expected she did great it in though. I know if we had to use it we can just don't want to)

Her surgery is nothing major just removing the nubs on her right hand where her fingers did not develop all the way. Its just tissue no bone but they want her in a cast so it stays clean.

TIA

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
If you have her not totally sit in the seat, and put her right arm in the straps first, it should be easy. Just loosen the straps up.

ginny4

i would tighten & loosen the harness with each trip in/out of car to make it easier. casted arm goes in first

myliljunebugs

DD had a cast on her arm last spring and was riding in the Nauti at the time. The cast was to her elbow and we didn't even loosen the straps. She just sat kinda sideways and put that arm in first. No problems whatsoever! :)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
When my daughter had her arm in a sling she had trouble getting in and out of her Nautilus, but that was due more to the pain of moving the arm than the awkward contortions required. If this surgery is going to be on the hand part, not the shoulder or the elbow, I think she should be okay.

macmomma

Not sure about the GN seat but when my son had surgery on both hands and had bilateral cast all the way above his elbows, I pulled the harness straps all the way out every time I put him in and out of his car seat... gosh that was a looong time ago:eek:

mburks26

thanks I do loosen when she gets in already as I seem to over tighten it but she does not complain once I get the harness tight we have trouble getting her back in lol. I should be able to leave it in the middle and just put her right arm in first and then left arm and when getting out left arm out then right? It wont matter if the arm can or can not bend right.

myliljunebugs

Yeah, either way it should be fine. Her first "cast" was done at the ER and it was above the elbow. It was a little more difficult than the new cast, but it was HUGE also. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC