Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Narrow High back boosters?

Are there any narrow boosters that work well for 3 across? (not 3 boosters but 2 radians and a booster.)
    I've started doing daycare again and the Regent is taking up too much space in the van, so I either have to get DD a different seat for the van or turn DS FF so I can put a younger child RF in the middle row.

So it would be for DD (4 years 11 mos, 41 lbs) for around town driving.
    CPST & Stay at home Cake-decorating/Scrapbooking/Photo Mom to
    Kyrie-10 in Harmony NBB & 5 stepping
    Trey-7 in Monterrey/parkway HBB
    Carter 12/2012 RF in Foonf & Rhett 10/2014 in ClickConnect 40

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy Thanksgiving_Twins_Mom's Avatar

Re: Narrow High back boosters?

the new Britax Parkway SG is supposed to be pretty narrow, but you might also want to consider a RideSafer Travel Vest esp. since your DD is a bit on the smaller end of the booster-riding age/weight range.
    Or what about getting another Radian for your DD? with 3 across, harnessed seats are much easier to buckle than boosters b/c you're not scrunching your hand down between the seats to buckle them.
    Last edited by safeinthecar; 09-10-2011 at 12:27 AM.
    Elaine
    Mom to Lydia & Deborah (both 5-stepped and almost as tall as mom) 15YO
    and comfy chair to Lily Cat (no car seats but will use a kitty harness for walks)

The start is narrow. If you can find one.

5. Thank You from:

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I thanked that post, but I don't exactly think the Start is narrow Especially those shoulderwings that are wide where the Radian is wide, and the fact that it's high up and harder to reach around to get to the buckle

Parkway SG or Oobr seem to be pretty narrow, but you may not be able to LATCH the Oobr, it might have to be slid out a bit to be able to reach the buckle easier (it doesn't NEED to be LATCHed, so that's ok).

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    The start is narrow. If you can find one.

Call Recaro. Trust me, if you want a Start, call Recaro. (but first PM me)

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    I thanked that post, but I don't exactly think the Start is narrow Especially those shoulderwings that are wide where the Radian is wide, and the fact that it's high up and harder to reach around to get to the buckle

Parkway SG or Oobr seem to be pretty narrow, but you may not be able to LATCH the Oobr, it might have to be slid out a bit to be able to reach the buckle easier (it doesn't NEED to be LATCHed, so that's ok).

The Start is pretty narrow, IMO. Especially next to a RN. They puzzle perfectly for buckling. I've had the Start, the Regent, and a ffing RN in a Lincoln Continental. (TB was impossible in same spot) ***Geez, Judi's pic wasn't showing up for me before I posted this, so YA THAT to Judi's pic, in a Continental***

That being said, the Oobr is pretty nice too, but I'm on a mission to get people to buy Starts so that Recaro changes their mind about discontinuing them. Now that I own one, I would gladly go back in time and pay the high price point they were charging (let me repeat, PM me! if you are wanting to buy a Start) when my kids first started using HHBs because they are so totally worth it.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

CPS Fanatic

I have a very narrow backseat it is horrible for 3-across(short base kia sedona).
    I have a fisher price safe voyage(and it fits smaller boosters well). It is the only booster that fits in my 3-across. I have an older style parkway but it does not puzzle well with my carseats.

Fair enough, I never did try my Starts next to a Radian (they just ate up the Escape's back seat, and there was just barely enough room for a boosterless/vested kid in the Ody third row between them...) (but they are such a pain to buckle even next to nothing... too many tears about accidentally locked lockoffs for me to be really sad that they are stopping selling them )
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

The turbobooster is narrow at 16 inches wide. I have one next to a radian now and have used them next to the radian before too.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

If you're looking at Starts and Oobrs (are they even available in Canada?), which are costly, might it not make more sense to get a third harnessed seat? IMO/IME, harnessed seats are so much easier to deal with in three-across situations.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Quote Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
    If you're looking at Starts and Oobrs (are they even available in Canada?), which are costly, might it not make more sense to get a third harnessed seat? IMO/IME, harnessed seats are so much easier to deal with in three-across situations.
    I'm not in Canada so I don't have to worry about THAT but...

Yeah, I would LOVE an oober but it's NOT in the budget... so a start definitely isn't either. Maybe later when DD is in a booster full time I'll go for the oober but yeah, if I was going to spend that much, I'd get another radian because she'll fit in it for about another year I think.

I might check out a turbo - I was hoping for something under $100 so that would be nice.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

(Sorry! I think I conflated threads.)
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

PW SG was only $101 online somewhere last week...
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    PW SG was only $101 online somewhere last week...
    I found it at amazon for $111 and some odd cents - that's not too bad.

Anyone know how the width compares with the tb?

The parkway is 17 inches wide. When it had no armrests it was easier to buckle. Not sure how it compares with the arm rests.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

I just measured my PW... 16 at the widest points, where the side wings and front of the seat are, and only about 14 where the hip belt guides are. The armrests do make it a bit wider, but they are less bulky than the Turbo...http://carseatblog.com/?p=2996
    Julie

Carseat Crazy

Isn't the Recaro Vivo about the same width as the PWSG? Those are the ones we're looking at for narrow, though I am having a hard time finding a new DOM Vivo - all the ones I see are either older ones or out of stock...

The vivo is 18 inches wide overall, but 17 at the bottom. In some places it is easier to buckle than the turbo due to the angled sides and others it just doesn't.
    Christine *mom* to

this will go in the 3rd row of a 2000 Ford Windstar van if that makes any difference!