Narrow High back boosters?

Nisha

Are there any narrow boosters that work well for 3 across? (not 3 boosters but 2 radians and a booster.)
I've started doing daycare again and the Regent is taking up too much space in the van, so I either have to get DD a different seat for the van or turn DS FF so I can put a younger child RF in the middle row.

So it would be for DD (4 years 11 mos, 41 lbs) for around town driving.

ADS
the new Britax Parkway SG is supposed to be pretty narrow, but you might also want to consider a RideSafer Travel Vest esp. since your DD is a bit on the smaller end of the booster-riding age/weight range.
Or what about getting another Radian for your DD? with 3 across, harnessed seats are much easier to buckle than boosters b/c you're not scrunching your hand down between the seats to buckle them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The start is narrow. If you can find one.

100_0392Large.jpg

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I thanked that post, but I don't exactly think the Start is narrow :eek: Especially those shoulderwings that are wide where the Radian is wide, and the fact that it's high up and harder to reach around to get to the buckle :twocents:

Parkway SG or Oobr seem to be pretty narrow, but you may not be able to LATCH the Oobr, it might have to be slid out a bit to be able to reach the buckle easier (it doesn't NEED to be LATCHed, so that's ok).

:)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The start is narrow. If you can find one.

100_0392Large.jpg

Call Recaro. Trust me, if you want a Start, call Recaro. (but first PM me)

I thanked that post, but I don't exactly think the Start is narrow :eek: Especially those shoulderwings that are wide where the Radian is wide, and the fact that it's high up and harder to reach around to get to the buckle :twocents:

Parkway SG or Oobr seem to be pretty narrow, but you may not be able to LATCH the Oobr, it might have to be slid out a bit to be able to reach the buckle easier (it doesn't NEED to be LATCHed, so that's ok).

:)
The Start is pretty narrow, IMO. Especially next to a RN. They puzzle perfectly for buckling. I've had the Start, the Regent, and a ffing RN in a Lincoln Continental. (TB was impossible in same spot) ***Geez, Judi's pic wasn't showing up for me before I posted this, so YA THAT to Judi's pic, in a Continental***

That being said, the Oobr is pretty nice too, but I'm on a mission to get people to buy Starts so that Recaro changes their mind about discontinuing them. Now that I own one, I would gladly go back in time and pay the high price point they were charging (let me repeat, PM me! if you are wanting to buy a Start) when my kids first started using HHBs because they are so totally worth it.

I have a very narrow backseat it is horrible for 3-across(short base kia sedona).
I have a fisher price safe voyage(and it fits smaller boosters well). It is the only booster that fits in my 3-across. I have an older style parkway but it does not puzzle well with my carseats.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Fair enough, I never did try my Starts next to a Radian (they just ate up the Escape's back seat, and there was just barely enough room for a boosterless/vested kid in the Ody third row between them...) :thumbsup: (but they are such a pain to buckle even next to nothing... too many tears about accidentally locked lockoffs for me to be really sad that they are stopping selling them :rolleyes:)

christineka

The turbobooster is narrow at 16 inches wide. I have one next to a radian now and have used them next to the radian before too.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If you're looking at Starts and Oobrs (are they even available in Canada?), which are costly, might it not make more sense to get a third harnessed seat? IMO/IME, harnessed seats are so much easier to deal with in three-across situations.

Nisha

If you're looking at Starts and Oobrs (are they even available in Canada?), which are costly, might it not make more sense to get a third harnessed seat? IMO/IME, harnessed seats are so much easier to deal with in three-across situations.

I'm not in Canada so I don't have to worry about THAT but...

Yeah, I would LOVE an oober but it's NOT in the budget... so a start definitely isn't either. Maybe later when DD is in a booster full time I'll go for the oober but yeah, if I was going to spend that much, I'd get another radian because she'll fit in it for about another year I think.

I might check out a turbo - I was hoping for something under $100 so that would be nice.

christineka

The parkway is 17 inches wide. When it had no armrests it was easier to buckle. Not sure how it compares with the arm rests.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I just measured my PW... 16 at the widest points, where the side wings and front of the seat are, and only about 14 where the hip belt guides are. The armrests do make it a bit wider, but they are less bulky than the Turbo...http://carseatblog.com/?p=2996

bigteamug

Isn't the Recaro Vivo about the same width as the PWSG? Those are the ones we're looking at for narrow, though I am having a hard time finding a new DOM Vivo - all the ones I see are either older ones or out of stock...

christineka

The vivo is 18 inches wide overall, but 17 at the bottom. In some places it is easier to buckle than the turbo due to the angled sides and others it just doesn't.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC