Has anyone heard any more about ordering new Radian harnesses/Super LATCH?

jrmo

Any confirmation or new info on this? Any word on when it might be available? Has anyone gotten any official confirmation from SKJP that this will make post 9/08 XT's RF to 45? TIA

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
the new SL are supposedly shipping in about 2 weeks, they are available for pre-order now.
Regular XT's and 80's will NOT automatically RF to 45 - they can be retrofitted if you buy a new harness and latch system, but can only be used in cars made after 9/05, and then you might be doing it in contrast to the vehicle manual.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I still don't see how a new harness and LATCH belt has anything to do with the RF weight limit. I know Sunshine Kids said that, but in what context? A big speech in front of a bunch of people? Or off-hand to a couple people?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It makes sense to me, if those were the things they changed that enabled them to pass at a higher limit. The harness may be stiffer. The LATCH connectors are supposed to be stronger. I think they are just making you change the whole thing because that's what they changed from one model to the next, and that's how it was tested.

jrmo

the new SL are supposedly shipping in about 2 weeks, they are available for pre-order now.
Regular XT's and 80's will NOT automatically RF to 45 - they can be retrofitted if you buy a new harness and latch system, but can only be used in cars made after 9/05, and then you might be doing it in contrast to the vehicle manual.

Right. Thank you, that was the information I had received too. It had just been a week or so since that came down. Just checking to see if there had been any official release or anything. I have an email into Russ for confirmation, but hadn't heard back from him yet. Wondered if someone else had.

I personally will stop using LATCH at 45 (even though my car is manf 2007), just because I have no problem doing a FF Radian seatbelt install, but RF is IMPOSSIBLE in my car with a seatbelt.

Can anyone confirm that the only structural change is the harness and LATCH?

babyherder

What about for cars without latch? Can the new radians be installed rf with a seat belt up to 45lbs (assuming a good seat belt install)?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It makes sense to me, if those were the things they changed that enabled them to pass at a higher limit. The harness may be stiffer. The LATCH connectors are supposed to be stronger. I think they are just making you change the whole thing because that's what they changed from one model to the next, and that's how it was tested.

But the Radian's current connectors can hold to at least 48 lbs, so why would that need to change to go to 45 RF? Also, if the harness can hold 80 lbs FF (where the harness really MATTERS), why would it need to be stronger to hold a kid to 45 lbs RF (when the harness really isn't doing the brunt of the work)?

jrmo

But the Radian's current connectors can hold to at least 48 lbs, so why would that need to change to go to 45 RF? Also, if the harness can hold 80 lbs FF (where the harness really MATTERS), why would it need to be stronger to hold a kid to 45 lbs RF (when the harness really isn't doing the brunt of the work)?

Yeah... I'm with you on this. Doesn't really makes sense. The only thing I can figure is that they only tested it to 45 with the new hardware, and so that's what it has to be. They were "considering" making all the post 9/08 XT's retroactive though too, so they must have tested them? This really is confusing....

NannyMom

What about for cars without latch? Can the new radians be installed rf with a seat belt up to 45lbs (assuming a good seat belt install)?

The Radian 80 and XT SL can RF up to 45 pounds with LATCH or seatbelt. The seat can be used with LATCH up to 80 pounds FF if the vehicle was manufactured after Sept 2005 (though we're still not positive all vehicles will allow this- it may be going against the vehicle's manual).

I think the Radian 65SL will still only RF to 40 pounds.

Sunshine Kids says the 9/08 Radians and newer can RF up to 45 pounds with a new harness and LATCH. We don't know why, but that's what they've said so far.

romanoma

None of it makes any sense, which is why I wonder if Russ (or whoever) was talking out of his...seat bight.

:ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO:

Yeah, I agree, it seems crazy that there is a need for a harness or super latch just to RF to 45. Why would they change out the harness unless they did test to 45 RF and it failed somehow? That's the only thing I can think of. For that reason if this all becomes official, I would change out the harness. But really, if I can only latch up to my vehicle limits anyway, why change out my latch? Just doesn't make any sense...
(and I'm probably not going to freak out as my child approaches the 40lb limit on his current seats...)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm thinking they just sell the update as a system whether you need the LATCH or not. It may be lack of testing, it may be that something changed about the harness. I'm willing to bet that a small change in harness stretchiness/strength COULD impact rear-facing test results, I don't understand it all but I know small changes have large effects sometimes.

jrmo

This is what I got back from Russ:

"We have discussed this, but at this point we’re not making the 45 lbs RF/ 80 lbs FF with lower anchors retroactive with SuperLATCH.

We would have to require all three systems (harness, tether, lower anchor) be replaced and there’s no way to guarantee this would be done"

So..... it sounds like, no more? That's a bummer. And he really should have figured it out before he started telling people this at ABC...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This is what I got back from Russ:

"We have discussed this, but at this point we’re not making the 45 lbs RF/ 80 lbs FF with lower anchors retroactive with SuperLATCH.

We would have to require all three systems (harness, tether, lower anchor) be replaced and there’s no way to guarantee this would be done"

So..... it sounds like, no more? That's a bummer. And he really should have figured it out before he started telling people this at ABC...

Well, he has a history of making big claims.

I agree that the change should not be retroactive because they'd be expecting too much from people. I also don't think the 40-lb change should have been retroactive. "Retroactive" just opens up too many cans of worms.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, I emailed.

I am so lost on the super latch thing. Why is that needed for rear facing to 45 lbs, when your normal latch already goes to 48 lbs? I understand for forward facing, but not rear. this question stems from hearing that The other radians can rear face to 45 lbs, IF we buy a new harness AND super latch.

and the response:

Prior to the introduction of SuperLATCH, we did not mention RF NCAP at high-capacities, or higher capacity FF NCAP testing with LATCH.

In both cases it is because our previous attachment system was not strong enough to handle this.

That is why 45 lbs is ONLY for Radian80SL and XTSL seats < with the new SuperLATCH system.

45 lbs RF is NOT the same loading as 45 lbs FF.

If you are looking at the maximum forces on the attachment system and vehicle anchors, loads at 45 lbs RF are not too different than 65 lbs FF << Remember how a RF installation positions < in an angled/cantilevered fashion.

As well, RF crash puts a very different type of loading / stress on a child car seat frame < wants to pull it ‘open’…Kinda makes you want to make a seat using steel, doesn’t it?

We WANT people to understand 40lbs RF and 45 lbs RF are very big loads for a seat to handle.

And more importantly, there are NO performance requirements for doing so.

So it’s not a question of high-capacity, it’s a question of what performance and safety is offered at a high-capacity.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I know I'll get booed, but I support not making it retroactive. Even we, who "know better", are speculating which parts of the proposed retrofit kit we might be able to leave off. I think it's safer to not even introduce the idea.

firemomof3

So wait...can I still get the super latch system for my XT (DOM 4/09) and use it vs having to do a seatbelt install once my child is over 40lbs.?

mommy2jasmine

I'm probably going to sound like a big dumb dumb, but can someone explain this in very simple English. I'm going to blame it on the fact that it's 6 o'clock and still like 90* out, so my brain isn't working well. :dizzy:

Ok, I emailed.

I am so lost on the super latch thing. Why is that needed for rear facing to 45 lbs, when your normal latch already goes to 48 lbs? I understand for forward facing, but not rear. this question stems from hearing that The other radians can rear face to 45 lbs, IF we buy a new harness AND super latch.

and the response:

Prior to the introduction of SuperLATCH, we did not mention RF NCAP at high-capacities, or higher capacity FF NCAP testing with LATCH.

In both cases it is because our previous attachment system was not strong enough to handle this.

That is why 45 lbs is ONLY for Radian80SL and XTSL seats < with the new SuperLATCH system.

45 lbs RF is NOT the same loading as 45 lbs FF.

If you are looking at the maximum forces on the attachment system and vehicle anchors, loads at 45 lbs RF are not too different than 65 lbs FF << Remember how a RF installation positions < in an angled/cantilevered fashion.

As well, RF crash puts a very different type of loading / stress on a child car seat frame < wants to pull it ‘open’…Kinda makes you want to make a seat using steel, doesn’t it?

We WANT people to understand 40lbs RF and 45 lbs RF are very big loads for a seat to handle.

And more importantly, there are NO performance requirements for doing so.

So it’s not a question of high-capacity, it’s a question of what performance and safety is offered at a high-capacity.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC