Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Community Member seamonkeys's Avatar

What's the highest weight allowed RFing in CAN now?

Sorry, I don't have time to do a search and don't want to forget to ask tomorrow.

A friend on another board mentioned that her seat goes to 35 lbs RFing. Have they bumped it up to that in CAN? I don't usually pay attention to the CAN limits, sorry.

TIA!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: What's the highest weight allowed RFing in CAN now?

I believe the Complete Air, when it gets there, will actually be 40 in Canada. (Is it there yet???)

There are now several seats (Dorel seats manufactured after a certain date, the Radian XT, I think a few others-- ETA after a certain date, maybe? And the True Fit) that go to 35 in Canada.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

4. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

The highest limit RF in Canada is 65lbs. Unfortunately, no seats currently on the market take advantage of that limit.

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    I believe the Complete Air, when it gets there, will actually be 40 in Canada. (Is it there yet???)

There are now several seats (Dorel seats manufactured after a certain date, the Radian XT, I think a few others-- ETA after a certain date, maybe? And the True Fit) that go to 35 in Canada.
    Do the Britax seats go to 35 lbs in CAN too?

ETA: Have you tried ketchup chips??

That one I'm not sure on, and will defer to the Canadians. Last I heard it was 33, but not sure.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by unityco View Post
    The highest limit RF in Canada is 65lbs. Unfortunately, no seats currently on the market take advantage of that limit.
    You know what I meant!

That one I'm not sure on, and will defer to the Canadians. Last I heard it was 33, but not sure.
    Interesting, I just checked on the Britax Canadian page and it says only 30 lbs.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkeys View Post
    Do the Britax seats go to 35 lbs in CAN too?

ETA: Have you tried ketchup chips??
    The Roundabout50 and Advocate by Britax go to 35lbs RF.

And yes, ketchup chips are pretty good! But only the Old Dutch kind (does any other company make them!?)

11. Thank You from:

Just had to chime in and say Ewwwwwww to ketchup chips.
    Selina - Canadian Mom. BC CPST
    James (04/12/02) 84# In a SK Monterey
    Nicholas (09/02/07) 34.5# FF in a Britax FrontierXT and giving me anxiety over the switch forward

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

The Complete Air has been in store for close to a month now. I can't speak for stores across Canada, but we are selling a lot of them - can't keep them in stock. It has a 40lb rf'ing limit.

Most (but not all,) Dorel seats made after Dec 23/08 have a 35lb rf'ing limit. The radian XT, and the True Fit also go to 35lbs rf'ing, as do the Britax RA 50 and Advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkeys View Post
    Interesting, I just checked on the Britax Canadian page and it says only 30 lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by techie View Post
    Yep, with the exception of the RA 50 and the Advocate which both have 35lb rf'ing limit, all the other Britax seats only go to 30lbs rf'ing. Last word from Britax was that they have no intention of raising the rf'ing limits on those seats, but who knows what public pressure may do...

The My Ride is expected to be released in Canada with a 40lb rf'ing limit, but they aren't finished testing yet.

Word also has it that the Radian XT will be released in the fall with a 40lb rf'ing limit - though it will NOT be retroactive the way that the US seats have been.

As for the allowed limit, as Unity said, the only limit imposed by CMVSS 213 standards is 65lbs. Currently the highest rf'ing weight limit we have is 40lbs. Should a manufacturer be able to design a seat that passed standards at a higher weight, then it would be able to be sold in Canada. At the present time, no manufacturer has chosen to do that.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

14. Thank You from:

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Also for quick reference, this is the list of currently available in Canada with their measurements http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=36056
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

16. Thank You from:

And yes, ketchup chips are pretty good! But only the Old Dutch kind (does any other company make them!?)
    I think Lays. I just heard about them and was wondering if ketchupqueen liked them, since, well they have ketchup in them!

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    The Complete Air has been in store for close to a month now. I can't speak for stores across Canada, but we are selling a lot of them - can't keep them in stock.
    According to the news today, it's selling well across the country.

Yes, Lays does make a version as well as Humpty Dumpty.

I've had Lays ketchup chips. They're okay, but not as good as the real thing (Lays dipped in Heinz ketchup as a dip.)

Carseat Crazy

Lena
    Fancy a Sitbag?
    Model: Mathias. Car seat: Britax Multi-Tech

It's true-- the legal harness limit in Canada is 65 lbs. by law, regardless of rear- or forward-facing direction of the seat (has something to do with the definition of a "child" in the regs, I believe), but no companies currently have a 65 lb. rear-facing seat on the Canadian market, though they legally could.

I've had Lays ketchup chips. They're okay, but not as good as the real thing (Lays dipped in Heinz ketchup as a dip.)
    I had a feeling that would be your answer! I've heard the chips don't really taste like ketchup.

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

According to the news today, it's selling well across the country.
    That doesn't surprise me. I think just in our store alone we've sold 24 or so as of the last time I worked - and that's with them being available only for 3.5 wks and being out of stock for pretty much 1 full week of that time if not longer. All the stores in the city here sold out of both colors within 10 days of arrival.

Maybe incentive for Graco to get the My Ride here faster.

Though I think part of the Complete Air popularity is the fact that it's Canadian developed technology, and the amount of advertising Dorel did pre-release. We had people looking to buy the seat before they'd even been shipped to stores.

I looked online last night and one color isn't available for order online right now which I'm guessing means it's out of stock in the warehouse already. I think nobody anticipated just how popular the seat would be... but hey, I think Dorel has it's production method and distribution down well enough that they'll be able to get lots more seats shipped soon.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Unregistered

Just a heads up that at the ABC show in Vegas, Sunshine Kids was showing their new 2010 models and they will go to 45lbs rear facing. Should be on the market in a month or so.

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

I almost deleted that as US content... We're not sure to expect the 45lb RF weight limit here in Canada, although it has been "confirmed" in the US.

-Nicole.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com