TFP Questions

Valentine

Does the ARB necessitate a 45* recline always? Or is it still possible to get 30-35* for an older child with the ARB?

Are there any crash test videos demonstrating the effectiveness of an ARB? (Or a RF tether?)

Does the TFP usually occupy the same amount of space as a MA (both RF)? Like if the MA fits with a little room to spare, is the TF likely to be an easy fit?

Is BRU the only place that lets you try out seats? My nearest city has a TRU but not BRU.

I'm really tempted by the TFP. I was thinking about trying to sell our Jonah MA to fund the TFP purchase, at least partially. But I can never make up my mind! I keep thinking it's one of the best boy covers and I love it so much and I'll want it for a next baby (we have a second MA). But then I think of all the neat TFP features and I waffle again. One thing I don't want to do is sell the Jonah only to find that I don't like the TFP in use as much as in theory! Scary thought. Any advice?

ETA: Forgot stats, not sure if they matter here. 26 mos, 27 lbs, 34 in, RF only.

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Does the ARB necessitate a 45* recline always? Or is it still possible to get 30-35* for an older child with the ARB?
Definitely easy to get it more upright. No more than 35 is allowed, though.
Are there any crash test videos demonstrating the effectiveness of an ARB? (Or a RF tether?)
I can't think of any videos. There was a study on RF tethering I read a while back, I haven't seen anything on ARBs specifically. There are some statements from manufacturers about the efficiacy floating around.
Does the TFP usually occupy the same amount of space as a MA (both RF)? Like if the MA fits with a little room to spare, is the TF likely to be an easy fit?
Yes, if the MA fits, the TF is likely to. The TF with back on at a 35 degree angle usually takes up about the same or a smidge less room than a Marathon at a 30-35 degree angle.
Is BRU the only place that lets you try out seats? My nearest city has a TRU but not BRU.

Some TRUs do, some don't. Ditto BRU, actually (though most BRUs do, some don't.) Also specialty baby shops often allow it.

I'm really tempted by the TFP. I was thinking about trying to sell our Jonah MA to fund the TFP purchase, at least partially. But I can never make up my mind! I keep thinking it's one of the best boy covers and I love it so much and I'll want it for a next baby (we have a second MA). But then I think of all the neat TFP features and I waffle again. One thing I don't want to do is sell the Jonah only to find that I don't like the TFP in use as much as in theory! Scary thought. Any advice?

If you really love the cover, and are not ready to part with it, don't part with it. See if you can find a TFP to play with (maybe someone on the board in your area has one?) first and then if you fall in love with it, you might be ready to sell the Jonah. It would suck to lose a seat you love and regret it later. Sounds to me like you're not ready for that.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Hmmm, haven't tried, but I think you can get it more upright than 45º, though it may depend a bit on the slope of the backseat as well.

I've seen a rear facing tether video, but I can't find it right now.

Generally, yes. Not certain how much the ARB forces the seat to recline. But at a 45º angle with a small child without the headrest it takes up the same or less space, and then as the child gets bigger and more upright it takes up less space front to back than the Marathon.

Some baby boutiques will as well, but they may or may not have the TFP. BRU and TRU don't have TFs or TFPs in stock.

Any advice?

Maybe buy one from a store with a good return policy, and if you like it sell the MA to help fund it, and if you don't return it and no harm done?

HTH

Wendy

Valentine

Ooh they don't have it? Darn. I'm in an isolated rural area so I doubt I'll get to play with it in person. Only problem with online ordering is possible return shipping. Let me know if you find that RF tether video. Thanks guys.

Spam

You could keep the cover and sell the MA naked or swap covers with your second seat if it's different. I've seen the Jonah, and there is no way I'd want to part with it either.. I might put in a spare car or something, but I :love: that cover and wish I had it. I just ordered a TFP and cannot wait for it to get here!

BananaBoat

I haven't seen the TFP in any B&M shop - online only. There are regular TFs still floating around some BRUs (at least in Mass). The ARB doesn't prevent a more upright install - I have it as close to 35 degrees as possible, since my Subie has a tiny backseat.

As for return shipping, EliteCarSeats has a return shipping insurance thing (you can find it at their site), but their prices are standard. CSNbaby quoted me this about return shipping for that seat:

I would like to confirm that the car seat below weighs approximately 25 lbs. Under our standard return policy, we would generally deduct our outbound shipping cost of approximately $8 - $9. You would be responsible to ship the item back using the carrier of your choice. Rates may vary depending on the carrier, though we do suggest a traceable method be used for confirmation of receipt. I am pleased to say that there is no restocking fee when using CSN Baby.com.

HTH! :thumbsup:

susanx4

i have ( had both) i love my marathon but its crashed now. i have a TFP also, for yes you can get an awesome 35* with the tfp for me tho the tfp does take up more room front to back it was rubbing on the back of my head rest while driving like when i took a turn ( still very tight install) the marathon didn't even touch my headrest ( dodge grand caravan) so i had to move the TFP over a seat so it wasn't touching a headrest. i think it took the same amount of seat room up as the marathon but it is wider so i am not sure it would fit in a really tight 3 across the same as a marathon.. right now i have an impala for a rental car and i can fit 2 HB turbo boosters and the tfp across the back ( it has A HUGE back seat!!!) but i still have to pull the boosters out and buckle the big kids cause they can't get there hands in to buckle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC