Finding a Good Rear-Facing Tether Point for Honda Odyssey's 2005-2011

lovinwaves

Re: Finding a Good Rear-Facing Tether Point for Honda Odyssey's 2005-Newer

I could wrap the versa tether around the drivers seat area (see pictures). Let me know if you have any ideas.

I believe you and I have spoke on the phone a few times :)

If you read the other posts in this thread you will see a picture of the Versa-tether installed to a bar located underneath the Driver's side seat (her particular photo shows the passenger side, but they are the same on both sides).

To be able to tether to the driver's side you will need to remove the plastic piece under the seat. It is a large plastic piece extending from foot to foot. I have found it easier if you first remove any carpeted mats, or rubber mats. Once you have "popped" that piece off you will see a bar. Wrap your Versa Tether around it. The issue with this install is that you may not move the seat after this is completed, and of course cannot reattach the plastic piece.

If you don't want to remove that plastic piece you can just wrap your versa tether around the plastic piece. If you feel behind the plastic you will feel the bar that I am referring to.

Last edited:
ADS
S

sullivan710

Hi, I have been trying for the last two days to securly put my daughter's Roundabout rear facing in our 2006 Odyssey. I have tethered the restraint to the tray table as instructed above. I still don't feel great about it though. My questions are:

1) How do we know that the tray table is bolted seperatly to the floor and not just to the seat? I can't tell by looking at it.

2). When I push down on the top of the carseat (ie. where the child's head would be) toward the floor, the carseat moves a few inches because of the cushion in the seat. Should I tighten the tether even more? I think she will go beyond 45 degrees if I do.

Thanks for any information!!

lovinwaves

Hi, I have been trying for the last two days to securly put my daughter's Roundabout rear facing in our 2006 Odyssey. I have tethered the restraint to the tray table as instructed above. I still don't feel great about it though. My questions are:

1) How do we know that the tray table is bolted seperatly to the floor and not just to the seat? I can't tell by looking at it.

2). When I push down on the top of the carseat (ie. where the child's head would be) toward the floor, the carseat moves a few inches because of the cushion in the seat. Should I tighten the tether even more? I think she will go beyond 45 degrees if I do.

Thanks for any information!!

1) The tether may be connected to any solid part of the vehicle. The Tray is just that. When the seat moves the tray table does not, therefore they are not connected. There is no other place in the Odyssey to tether to, so the tray table is it.

2) A frontal car crash involves several forces working with the carseat. The first force is "downward rotation" in which the back(where the child's head is) of the child restraint moves forward toward the front of the vehicle or down towards the floor. This is why Britax allows "bracing" against the front seat. The Tether performs no function in this movement. Then as the seat "rebounds" toward the rear of the vehicle the tether helps reduce movement. This is where the tether comes into play and prevents the seat from "cocooning" toward the back of the vehicle's seat that the carseat is placed on.

The tether should be tight, but not super tight like your seatbelt or Latch install. Just pull the strap enough to take the slack out. Put your hand on the back of the carseat and try to move it up towards the rear of the vehicle. If you can't then the tether is tight enough.

The seat can be anywhere from 45 degrees to 30 degrees in angle. No more, no less. If you are finding your child's seat is going past the 45 degrees after tightening the tether then you may need to reinstall it.....Undo all latch/seatbelt and tether, then place the base of the seat a bit away from the seatbite(the crack of the seat where the LATCH system is). As you tighten the carseat down it will begin to become more upright. Then attach your tether to get your desired recline angle. Remember a 45 degree angle is not always needed after the child is hold enough to hold their head up...

A

adtake

What I do is tether my Britax under the seat of the Captain's Chair. This is NO LONGER RECOMMENDED by Britax, but I do at my own discretion.

So you DO have yours there? We just bought the BV and that is where we put it till I came on here..... Have you called Honda to ask them where they reccommend??

I had no idea that little drawer was there, how fun! Yes, we have an EX-L. I was so jazzed when I found the coin holder -- any other little storage nooks?!

Coin holder??? WHERE??? Thought I knew where all the little drawers were!

lovinwaves

So you DO have yours there? We just bought the BV and that is where we put it till I came on here..... Have you called Honda to ask them where they reccommend??

I'm sorry for the delay...

No, mine is no longer tethered there. I have it tethered to the welded bar underneath the driver's seat.

If you called Honda you would get this response "HUH? What's a rear-facing tether?" Don't even bother ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC