Would you, could you booster in the driver's seat?

Wiggles

I've been thinking of this more and more lately, as I read things about 'proper belt fit' and so on.

I know that there are many adults in many cars that the seat belt simply doesn't fit--I'm one of them. I'm okay in back seats a lot of the time, but if a seat has a longer rigid belt stalk (like the front seats on a lot of cars I ride in/drive) or if the shoulder belt doesn't sit right (like in 90% of cars I ride in, front or back, regardless of if the shoulder belt adjusts up and down), seat belts do not fit me right and I expend a great deal of energy, sometimes while driving, into trying to keep my lap belt low and my shoulder belt on my shoulder. Which makes me think that, in all likelihood, I should probably be in a booster (wouldn't surprise me--I've got a cub in the cubpack that I lead that's only a couple inches shorter than me and outweighs me and he's TEN! My clothes, which are too big for me, are the right size, bordering on too small for him. Long story as to why he ended up wearing my clothes.).

So I'm wondering if a) it is possible to use a booster in a driver's seat without having to adapt the pedals or any other bits and bobs in any way; b) is it SAFE to use a booster in the driver's seat; c) are there any boosters on the market that could accommodate a 5'4 (64 inch), 100-114 lb person and d) would YOU consider doing it, for yourself?

Kind of an odd question, maybe. *shrug* Just interested. I think that belts don't fit me properly because I'm very thin, maybe?

ADS

HKP1042

I am 5'4 and like you seatbelts don't fit me right either. But I am pretty sure I am way to heavy for a booster...LOL

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
This actually would be wonderful, if there was a comfy one that would fit me (I broke my tailbone giving birth to my first so hard seats and I don't mix.) I'm 5'5". Currently I usually lock my seatbelt when possible, to keep it positioned where I put it (but some drivers' or even front passengers' belts don't lock.)

Ducky5306

i'm 99% sure they make them for adults! My aunt (Who is under 4'11) always has one in her car.. I'd google Adult driver booster seat and see what you come up with! :) (Hers is a cushiony LBB looking thing)

cookie123

I need one in the Mustang. Actually, a few cars I've ridden in the back seat in, the belt doesn't fit. I'm not sure a booster would have helped. I do think it would do the trick in the mustang though.

I actually saw a cushion thing in the Publisher's clearing house junk the other day and they said for use in the car - I actually thought they meant the child seat at first, but then figured they meant the seat of the car!

Wiggles

I have to wonder how that'd help with belt positioning, though. Cause, in my mum's car, for example, the seat goes up and down, but the seatbelt stalk moves with it. I look at how the kids' boosters work and they seem to have 'spots' or whatever you wanna call it where you feed a belt and it holds it there. I feel like, with just a cushion, I'd end up fighting it to stay in place and it would just be another distraction while I was driving. (I'm a bit wiggly when I sit and I can't help that.)

Pixels

As an adult not needing "artificial hips" I think I would personally get one of those cushions that are specifically made for adults who need a little more height, something like this? http://www.healthyback.com/products...car-cush/543?gclid=CKSixZuzg50CFSENDQod1lLKag It isn't meant to reposition you, but it is 3 inches tall in the back, I bet that would be enough.

I had almost an identical product, and I used it a LOT when I was PG due to problems with my tailbone. It does boost me up so that the lap belt fits better. Not 3 inches, because it's made of foam and it squishes. It's enough to make a difference in belt fit, though.

Yes, it would be safe to use a booster in the driver's seat, as long as you could reach the pedals, etc.

Wiggles

Is such an item crash tested? What about compression issues and stuff? I mean, we tell people not to put cushions and after market positioners in their kids' stuff--should we really use such products for ourselves?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC