My Ride harness adjuster ever impossible to use?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I haven't heard anyone complain about this...so when a mom called me at work the other day to say she could NOT pull the harness tight with the seat installed and child in it, I was pretty surprised :eek: She said it works fine when she takes the kid out, but doesn't tighten at all when the kiddo's in it. Any ideas? She'll probably return it for a new EFTA, but I just wanted to know if she's doing something 'wrong' or what?
Thanks for any opinions!
:)

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
DH and I have never had a problem with it, though we're admittedly not "loosen/tighten every time" kind of people. :twocents:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
hhmmm..I'd probably troubleshoot whether or not she can't reach the adjuster, or she can reach it, but it simply son't "pull". Did she specifiy?

I know that on one of my old seats (comfortsport maybe?) There was a very specific time when it wouldn't "pull tight" because the splitter plate was right at this "turn" in the shell, right where the bottom versus the back of the shell meet, and my seats were very poofy in our van, such that when installed itghtly rearfacing, and spliter plate was actually underneath the carseat, and SMOOSHED uinto the poofy vehicle seats, such taht it didn't move easily..and then, if you loosened it, such taht eh splitter plate got pulled up, out form under the seat, and up the backside of the shell, and then tried to re-tighten it, you COULD NOT, because that would have meant pulling the splitter plate back UNDERNEATH the shell, which you could not do, because once you pulled it out, the seat poofed back up, and you couldn't get it back under there without uninstalling the seat.
so, I learned not to loosen it so much that the splitter plate got pulled out from under the seat, it had to stay underneath the seat. Does that make sense? i'm sorry..I coudl show you in like 20 seconds un person, but i'm really bad at describing stuff in words.
I've never installed a MR IRL, so i don't know how the path for the aplitter works or if that is even a remote possibility, but I did have a seat you "couldn't tighten" before.

2BunniesMommy

With mine, it was never impossible, but it did feel like the strap tails were catching at times and made it difficult to tighten. It also worked easier if empty. Not sure if that might be the same thing, but maybe something to check into.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah, I bet you're on to something... it might be the splitter plate getting hooked on the turn. I could even get that to happen on the uninstalled floor model CS, it was so bad :eek:
I need to start making appointments with people to see what their issues are, but it's amazing the weird complaints people make in a 2 minute phone conversation or visit to the carseat aisle... at least on the boards there are 20 other people with the same seat who can jump in with the solution :love: (hah, we need a forum dedicated to 'immediate help while standing in a store' questions and a computer in every store, don't we? :D)

Brycen'sMommy

I think I mentioned it in a post before but we had a terrible time with our MR adjuster. It was extremely difficult to adjust both RF and FF with a child in it but it was fine when empty. It was so bad that we returned it and now we have a TF that we love.

Maedze

Did she recently switch from an infant seat to the MR? I've noticed parents who are used to the smooth pull of an infant seat (usually done in the house, not at an angle), object to the difficulty of a convertible, done in the car at an angle, not quite as smooth.

I don't find that the MR is difficult to tighten. It's easier than some harnesses...for example, the Radian or BV in the RF position :twocents:

Raegansmom4

I've never had that problem w/ mine - have had it since the first of August. Does she have the harness hooked on the splitter plate on the correct loop? There are 3 loops on the back of the harness, and you have to use a specific one depending on which harness slot you are using. Does that make sense? If, for instance, she has it on the farthest-out loop for a bottom slot, you wouldn't get it close to tight enough. Does that make sense?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I just installed a MR last night and when we put DS in it we had a hard time tightening it. It had come with one of the straps threaded through the buckles wrong, and once you pull the splitter plate out through the back it's hard to stuff the long "tails" down in the back of the seat. I didn't do it at first, and they got hung up at the back, preventing the straps from tightening.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC