Spin-off: Forward in one vehicle and rear-facing in the other...

Did/does your child complain about facing a different direction in one vehicle vs. another?

• No, he/she couldn't care less.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • Yes, he/she hated the ff'ing seat and begged to rf.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yes, he/she complained about rf'ing.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Clicky box for the win

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
For those of you who have a kid who is rf'ing in one vehicle and ff'ing in one or more other vehicles, does your kid seem to mind when he's back in the rf'ing vehicle?

I'm looking at the possibility of having ds ff'ing in our 2nd car in the relatively near future, but one of my biggest concerns is that it would lead to him pitching a fit about rf'ing in our other vehicle... and quite honestly, I'm not going to deal with a screaming 3yr old who would otherwise be happy ff'ing. At the age and weight he is, I care more about sanity. ;)

So what has your experience been? (poll to follow)

ADS

Mae

Not my child, but the 2YO in my care is FF in mom's car (has been since she turned one :rolleyes:) and has been RF in my car... well forever. She hasn't been FF in my car once.

I ask her often,

"H, do you like Mommy's car seat?"
"Yes"
"Do you like Meghan's car seat?"
"Yes"
"Which do you like more, Mommy's car seat or Meghan's car seat?"
"(Looks around confused) Yes"

Granted she's only 26 months, but she never screams or anything in my car. When my new TF arrived (RF of course), she jumped up and down with excitement. "H's new seat! H's new seat!"

So to answer your question, nope, she doesn't mind!

Jan06twinmom

We had to put DS ff in the nanny car at 2 years old. We had a car seat with a 30lb rf limit. He was rf in two other vehicles until he was 2 1/2 years old.

We had to put my DD ff in the nanny car when she was about 3 3/4 years old. We didn't put her ff in our primary vehicle until about 7 months later.

No complaints from other child. The only time I heard a strong preference was when I told dd that she was going to be ff in our primary car during a day trip with grandma and grandpa. We had to put her in the third row with her brother so that there was room for two extra adults. Her response was "But I want to ride backwards!"

Melanie

romanoma

my 3.25 yo doesn't comment about it one way or the other...ever.

(FF in grandmas car once a week, RF all other times in our cars)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have one child who does not care either way (3 1/2 year old) and one who successfully nagged me until I spent $200 so she could rear-face again-- at age 5 1/2-- and hates it when she's FF!

keri1292

Quinn had to be FFing for the occasional three across my 3rd row. After the last one, he cried and fussed about RFing. For about three weeks.

I turned him. He's 5y2m. I hoped to make it to 6, but the MA just isn't for some RFing 5yo's. He complained about the leg room, not necessarily the RFing. He's never complained since I switched him, but he does have trouble figuring out what to do with his legs FFing.

fyrfightermomma

Nope. My kids honestly doesn't know the difference. To them a car seat is a car seat and they haven't once verbalized a preference or even that they noticed a difference.

christineka

Dd did for a little while when she was 3. It didn't last long before I figured out how to rf her in the car too. I hated her kicking my seat. She didn't have a problem with ffing in one and rfing in the other. Now she's ffed for a few weeks in the van and then I've turned her rfing again. She mentions how she wants to ff again, but she's not very vocal about it, so I don't mind.

kidzndogz

Nope. Dean has been FFing in his parents van since he was 15 months but he is still RFing in my car. He doesn't fuss one way or the other. I think he actually likes it because as soon as I get there he runs to the door, "Sheesha's bwue car? Go ride? Dean's cow seat? Otay!" Maybe it's like an amusement park ride? lol. I don't know what he'd do if I flipped him FFing...not sure if his excitement is over riding backwards in my car or just going places with me.

Calideedle

DD has been FFing in Grandpas Truck & Dads Car since she was almost 3 years-old. She never minded until the last week when she asked to be turned (but she hasn't be in Grandpas truck or Dads car in months & was in them maybe once a month before then).

Mommy2Marcus

Marcus rides FF in my DH's car & my MIL's car. He rides with my MIL maybe 1-2 times month while they run errands. He rides with my DH around 1-2 times a week, mostly for the short ride home from my MIL's or from work. He then is RF in my car. He never has a problem with RF in my car. He sometimes says he does want to ride that way, but he does once I say he has to sit down. However he rides in my car pretty much 95% of the time, so he rides RF more times then not. He has also been FF in my car. He could really car less. I actually in all honesty think he likes RF better b/c he has nowhere for his legs/feet to go when FF.

Fiona is super mad right now cause she is ffing in both cars, and she prefirs rear facing, but her sister got 14 stitches in her ankle and 5 in her knee and cant crawl under rear facing seats right now, so I had to ff her... so Julianna could walk.. she is so mad... she rides ffing in dh's car in her frontier these days, and rfing in mine in a radian, but not at the moment. we switched, (well she is ffing in a marathon actually in my car.

munchkin

My brother/SIL turned E in their cars at 1 year old. He remains RF in mine and my sister's cars. He doesn't care. He knows what seat is his and just hops in and gets situated.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My boys ride rf'ing in my burb, which is 99% of what they travel in. They FF when with the social worker or their mom...and also in dh's extra cab truck. All 3 of the FF rides occur VERY rarely...maybe 2x a month between all 3!

DahliaRW

My ds2 could care less as far as I can tell. Though what he's really interested in is big brother's booster. When ds1 is at preschool and I put ds2 in the van he always climbs in it "buckle buckle" and since he's only 2 and 32lbs I say NO WAY! LOL! But that's the only carseat conflict we have with him.

Wife&MomX3

DD1 is 3 now, and acts like she doesnt even notice there is a difference. She's RF almost all the time, and when she occasionally FF's, the only thing that is different is it's harder for her to fall asleep.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have dck who are all FFing in their parents' cars, but I have a couple of ERF kids in mine (2.5 and 3.5 years.) They don't seem to mind the switching at all. The only fit my 3.5yo ERFer has ever had was yesterday, and that's because she wanted to ride in either a HBB or my pink Nauti, which was adjusted to the highest position lol. I think she was just in a mood.

Because I have a variety of kids and times and seats, and requirements (like a quick load for school pickup,) they don't each have their same seat all of the time... I do a lot of car seat switching and therefore even my ERF kids don't always RF. (I have 4 kids who *can* RF -- only two have to -- and just 3 RF seats.) They don't seem to be bothered; when I call them to get in the car I say "you'll be sitting in x seat today," and that's what they crawl into.

That said, I know some kids would have an issue -- I did have one boy who would have melted if I tried to switch him from this seat to that, FF to RF and back. He always rode in his same seat all of the time, because I knew that's how his personality was. OTOH, my 2.5 year old -- who was FFing in his parents' car at 10mos (ped told them it was ok,) and FFing in my car at 12mos,) went back RFing at 27mos. At the end of the summer, I went ahead and turned him back FFing, as he was nearing weight limits, but he started asking to "ride backwards." Turns out he has a love affair with the MR pillow! LOL!

emars002

I did it for about 2 months with my youngest since I had a 33lb MA in my car and the 35lb in DH's truck - she didn't seem to care either way - She did thouroughly enjoy kicking my seat though the first week she was FF - thank goodness it got old for her, it made me nuts!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC