Maybe looking for another new seat for ERF reasons

Elizabeths_Daddy

I've convinced my wife of the benefits of ERF and we are thinking about returning our unopened Como and looking at a something that will allow us to RF to 40lbs.

We decided to go to Toys R Us and look at the MR65 and SF-Air. With DD in the MR65 it just looks like she will outgrow the seat very quickly, it looked like a short shell height. Is the shell height short on the MR or was it deceptive looking?

We really liked the look and feel of the Air , DD fit very nicely and looked like she had lots of room to grow, however, we noticed on the box it says "RF only until they reach 40" tall. That really concerns us because it is very likely DD will reach 40" tall before she's 40lbs and likely before she even hits 35lbs. She is 37" tall and weights 27lbs at the moment. What are our other options so we can keep her RF to 40lbs?

ADS

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Safety 1st seems to be somewhat adamant that 40'' is the max height on RF in the CA, however many people are more concerned with torso height and using a seat RF until there is less than 1'' of shell above the child's head, regardless of overall height. I think most seats list some kind of standing height limit for the seats.

If you aren't comfortable going against the height instructions for the CA, I would also recommend looking at the radian. They also have tall shells and I think they don't list a standing height limit for rearfacing. My son is 4y9m and tall and skinny. He will make it to 40lbs RF in the radian, and *might* make it to 45lbs if he were in a new XTSL.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I found the MR too short for my kiddo (she was too tall for it, head within an inch of the top, at about 40.5 inches and 35 pounds, at 3.5)...she still has a few inches above her head in the Radian or Complete Air. I'd personally feel comfortable exceeding the height limit on the Complete Air, because they also say it's ok to use RF till the head is even with the top of the seat shell. That's 27 inches. Did they really think a kid would have 13 inch legs and 27 inches bum-to-top-of-head? :eek::D

Shaunam

At 2 1/2 years and only 27 lbs, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a 40 lb limit. 35 will likely get you at least another year, probably closer to 2.

I would also consider a first years true fit...it has a very tall shell and will also probably last until booster age ff'ing.

How much room did she have above her head in the my ride? Even 3-4" will last a while. Probably not to 40 lbs with a thin kid, but another year or 18 months probably.

armywife12

How much room above her head did she have in the MyRide? When we tried it out in the store, my son didn't seem to have a lot of room but, when we installed it in the van, he had several inches of growing room left. The infant insert will also boost the child up higher than they would without the insert. My son is currently 37.5 inches tall at 25 months old. He is around 31-32lbs right now. He'll probably make it close to 3 yrs old rear facing in the Myride. He is also rear facing in the True Fit with tons of room above his head but it only rear faces to 35lbs so he won't rear face in that much longer. For your child, I think a 35lb seat like the True Fit would be sufficient since she is only 27lbs. It will probably get her well past 3 yrs old rear facing. The Radians have very tall shell and rear face to 40lbs so that will likely fit her rear facing to at least 4 yrs old. The new Radian 80s and XTs will rear face to 45lbs but will be the same shell height as the 40lb rear facing Radians.

Jonah Baby

My son "shrunk" in the MyRide once it was actually installed in the car rear facing.
Toys R Us should let you try it out in your car, Babies R Us does.

I have heard of the Complete Air lasting longer height wise than the MyRide. Technicians measure a child's height growth left in the seat, when the seat is installed, by how many inches left to the top of the shell. No child should be closer than 1" to the top of the shell when rear facing.

Did you strap your child into the Complete Air in the store? Jo looked SO comfy in the seat, but when strapped in, the harness cut into his neck and left marks. Some children do not have this problem.

Elizabeths_Daddy

Wow, great responses, thanks!

We did strap her into the MR and it looked like she had 3 maybe 4 inches to top of shell. We did not strap her into the CA, she only sat in it and looked so comfy. Toys R Us was very busy and not that helpful during our visit.

Based on some the comments above I am thinking about looking at the TF and RD seats if you guys believe a 35lb seat will get us to a safe age for moving to FF.

We will be going to Baby Earth tomorrow afternoon to look at the TF and RD65 seats. My wife would like a seat that is easier to install and easier to get DD in/out of than the Como in her Jeep Liberty. I will be moving the Como to my truck.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Radians now rear-face to 40 lbs. (all Radians manufactured after 9/08.) They are much lower profile and definitely easier to load into than Comos-- also give lots more leg room! The True Fit is pretty easy to load into as well, and gives almost as much leg room.

Mommy2Marcus

If she had 3-4 inches above her head while RF in the MR then she will have probably a year or more RF in it. Also remember that if the infant insert was in that that would add almost an inch to it, so she would have 4-5 inches then. Just something to consider. Also know that the MR is very easy to install! I own one & really love it.

As for the CA, it looks like a nice seat. However also know that some have had issues with an install. They have also had issues with the straps being to close together & rubbing on the childs neck. Just thought I would mention those things, so you can look for them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC