Baby bucket outboard or toddler FF?

mslancast

So we decided to try turning our DD2 back to RF for a while. She is 29 mo, 36" tall and 33lb. She seemed fine with facing backwards (now she can see big sister, who is FF on the opposite side of the van.) The kids are three across currently in the minivan - Radian (RF), baby bucket seat (RF), Regent (FF). They don't want to be split up, and I like having the extra room in the back, so I would like to keep them three across, if possible.

DD2, who just turned back to RF is in a Radian XT, and it just doesn't seem to fit well in the outboard position. The passenger seat is almost all the way forward. It feels uncomfortable, and possibly unsafe, because of how close a passenger would be to the air bag. If I keep DD2 RF in the Radian, I will have to move it to the center position, which means the baby bucket seat would have to be in the outboard position. :eek: Is this safe? It doesn't seem like it, but maybe that's just my gut reaction?

Thanks for your input.

ADS

Mommy0608

Yes, that's safe. Keeping her RF longer and putting the RF baby outboard is safer than turning your DD2 FF just to keep the baby in the middle. Rear-facing is very, very safe, even when outboard. :)

Great job turning your 29 month old back RF!! :thumbsup:

(Technically, the safest set-up would be to put the FF child in the middle, if that's possible. If not, don't lose sleep over it though! Generally, the rule of thumb is to put the least-protected child in the most-protected spot, which would mean putting the RF kids outboard.)

Maedze

It's very, very safe! Good instincts. The best place for the rear facing Radian is often the middle seat because of how tall it is. :)

Mommy0608

I do agree with Maedze. If it doesn't fit safely outboard (both safely for the child in the Radian AND for the person in the front seat), then it should go in the middle. This trumps having the FF child in the middle, because leaving the front passenger too far forward is not safe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC