3 across with boosters?

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Is the parkway still the easiest/ narrowest booster when it comes to 3 across? The parents of 3 children that I transport quite frequently just got boosters for their 4 and 5 year olds. They're the same size and the parents are convinced that once the kid is 40 lbs they HAVE to put the kid in a booster even though they have 2 regents. :rolleyes: Before that the kids were in marathons but they were truly outgrowing those. Anyway, long story short, I've told the kids for quite some time that they won't be riding in boosters in *my* car until they are 6 years old. Personally, I think it should be more about age and maturity than about size. But, the middle child will be turning 6 in December then the youngest will turn 6 next December. So, of course like any carseat obsessed person, I am already planning for kids that aren't even mine. ;) Not to mention that I am very close to finishing my foster parent training and the kid I foster will probably be in a booster.

I have two nautiluses and I can use those as boosters obviously but they are so difficult to buckle in 3 across situations. Also, I have a feeling that it won't be too long before I will need 3 boosters.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
3 across with boosters is tricky (3 across with 2 boosters and a 5'7" 13yo is even trickier) and works best if you have different types of boosters usually. Really, the only way to know is to try it.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
3 across with boosters is tricky (3 across with 2 boosters and a 5'7" 13yo is even trickier) and works best if you have different types of boosters usually. Really, the only way to know is to try it.

Thanks. That's no help though because the carseat selection around here really stinks.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Thanks. That's no help though because the carseat selection around here really stinks.

What 3 acrosses have worked for you in the past? Your siggy looks like a GN, a RN and ??? I think another GN is on the far side. Your car must be pretty roomy if that is the case.

The GN does not fit well as a booster on quite a few kids, so I wouldn't just assume those will be in your set up until the kids are the size that they will be when using it as one. TBs are a great fit on most booster riders and I imagine that a couple of TBs outboard with maybe a Monterrey center (in case you get a foster kid that needs a bigger booster) would work in a car that fits 2 GNs and a RN. The wide shoulders of the Monterrey should help to maintain enough space to buckle between the boosters, and flexible LATCH would be a plus if there is a hump in the center that causes a center position booster to be tippy.

IMHO if you need to fit 3 boosters in the back of a sedan, use a RideSafer Travel Vest in the center instead of a booster - since the vest is hardly wider than the child wearing it, buckling is much easier than with 3 boosters squished together. This is how I can fit 3 booster-age kids in a 1997 Honda Civic

[disclaimer: photo was taken right after I got the vest, didn't have it properly tightened down in the pic so the lap belt is riding higher than it would in proper real-life use]
DSCF1422-1.jpg

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
What 3 acrosses have worked for you in the past? Your siggy looks like a GN, a RN and ??? I think another GN is on the far side. Your car must be pretty roomy if that is the case.

I hope I didn't sound snarky before. I really did mean the thanks! :eek: Yes, it is pretty roomy. I am thinking about the monterey as well. :)

IMHO if you need to fit 3 boosters in the back of a sedan, use a RideSafer Travel Vest in the center instead of a booster - since the vest is hardly wider than the child wearing it, buckling is much easier than with 3 boosters squished together. This is how I can fit 3 booster-age kids in a 1997 Honda Civic

That is an excellent idea! Thanks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC