Radian XT rio

mommygraham

So, I've been saving every spare dollar (ok, mostly selling things on craigslist, like outgrown cloth diapers and old bridesmaid dresses), and I am $20 shy of being able to buy a Radian XT for DS (YAY!!!). Ok, so my question is on the rio. I REALLY like this color. So much more than the other colors (for a boy). But I've heard some stories on how the mesh snags easily. For those that have felt this material IRL, is it scratchy? Does it seem like it'd be uncomfortable? I'm not so worried about the snags/'fraying' since I'm pretty sure they'd send a replacement, but I'd rather save the hassel and just know all the details before I order it. To be honest, I wish they'd just make a velvet-y cover in red (or green even!!), but since these are my choices, I wanted to ask your opinion. Anyone?

ADS

Blondie87

I haven't had any problems with mine snagging. I've had it for maybe 6 months now. I think the material is fine for 2+ but I wouldn't put my 1 year olds in it...

mommygraham

I haven't had any problems with mine snagging. I've had it for maybe 6 months now.

Is it a soft mesh or a scratchy mesh? Oooh, and I keep forgetting that the main reason I didn't want this one in the first place is ease of cleaning (DS gets car sick easily on long rides). Is it easy to clean/wipe?

Blondie87

Is it a soft mesh or a scratchy mesh? Oooh, and I keep forgetting that the main reason I didn't want this one in the first place is ease of cleaning (DS gets car sick easily on long rides). Is it easy to clean/wipe?

It's probably more scratchy. But I don't think it's uncomfortable.

And I don't think it'd be very easy to clean off...

mommygraham

It's probably more scratchy. But I don't think it's uncomfortable.

And I don't think it'd be very easy to clean off...

That's what I was afraid of. I wish they'd make a more plethora of cover choices. That leaves me with the Naussa (did I spell that right?). Don't get me wrong..I'd rather DS be in a safe seat that will last him a while than to worry about the color of the color. But, DD has a very adorable Malibu and I wish DS could have a fun seat too. Ooh, like camouflauge! Or a pistachio green! hehe

canadiangie

It pills more than snags from what I've seen, and it's not scratchy, but it's not a smooth velour which I think throws people who are used to a super soft cover. It takes forever to air dry after washing, but it hides dirt a little as it's such a deep shade of red.

I'd buy one if I had a boy and needed an XT. A little bit of gently lovedness on a cover (pilling, etc) doesn't bother me, and the whole "scratchy" thing makes no sense to me whatsoever. //shrug.

Go for it, I think it'll be just fine.

Your Touriva... is it an actual Touriva or is it a Scenera?

mommygraham

It pills more than snags from what I've seen, and it's not scratchy, but it's not a smooth velour which I think throws people who are used to a super soft cover. It takes forever to air dry after washing, but it hides dirt a little as it's such a deep shade of red.

I'd buy one if I had a boy and needed an XT. A little bit of gently lovedness on a cover (pilling, etc) doesn't bother me, and the whole "scratchy" thing makes no sense to me whatsoever. //shrug.

Go for it, I think it'll be just fine.

Your Touriva... is it an actual Touriva or is it a Scenera?

Hehe, I know that if I think about mesh shorts, than I think 'soft' and 'silky', but for some reason I can only picture this car seat cover being similar to fish netting. Hahaha! Don't ask. I'm pregnant :rolleyes:. I should see if I can find somewhere in town here that sells them so I can feel one. Do any baby boutiques sell them? Are they really ALL online? Does anyone live in the Dallas area that wants to let me pet their car seat?? Hehe!

DS has an actual Touriva. DOM July 2007. It was given to us from WIC when we lived in Minnesota. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to get something with a little more cushion for DS.

mommy2jasmine

What I did when looking to find a Radian IRL, was go to SKJP.com and there is a link to find locations that sell them. I'm not sure how updated they are, so you could probably google boutiques in your area and call to see if they'd have them, but I would first try their locator on their site.

At USA Baby here where I tried the seat out on my DD first, they only had that cover down. They had the Malibu out, but it was up on a tall shelf, and the Rio was down, where you could pull it out. So, anyway, we went there quite a few times to test it out, and it's pretty smooth. I think the holes were farther apart than those on basket ball shorts, but nothing snaggy or anything like that.

Even with car sickness, if you are really set on getting the Rio, I would just do it. As long as you get it cleaned A.S.A.P. after a mess of any kind, I think it will be ok. We just went to the beach today, and there was sand all embedded in her XT when we got home, so I immediately lugged it inside and got it clean. Good as new!

HTH

Hehe, I know that if I think about mesh shorts, than I think 'soft' and 'silky', but for some reason I can only picture this car seat cover being similar to fish netting. Hahaha! Don't ask. I'm pregnant :rolleyes:. I should see if I can find somewhere in town here that sells them so I can feel one. Do any baby boutiques sell them? Are they really ALL online? Does anyone live in the Dallas area that wants to let me pet their car seat?? Hehe!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I can't handle the feel. Hey, Blondie, you know the one we saw at the car seat clinic? I couldn't handle touching the one either. I hate the feel.

Blondie87

I can't handle the feel. Hey, Blondie, you know the one we saw at the car seat clinic? I couldn't handle touching the one either. I hate the feel.

Yeah.. Hampton is the exact same fabric as my Rio, just different colors. I think they are both fine though.. :) Yeah.. there are more comfortable seats and covers, but I think it works... ;)

jb5416

I think it's super scratchy--put the strap pads up against the side of your neck. I sent ours back because of that and got the boring Nassau.
Jessie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC