La-la-la

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I *may* need to think about carseats again. ;)

295g86d.jpg

Presenting..... New car day! We are no longer a single car family!!!!! :D

We got a 2009 Saturn Astra, 5 door. There is a headrest for the middle position, but I took it out to install the radian. Radian installed easily in the middle - good thing because the buckle stalks in the back row are two cables, so I'm thinking it's a good bet twisting wouldn't be allowed... Adjusting the harness is still a complete bugger though, so I think I'm going to need to figure out another option. And Jonas is pretty much at the rf'ing limit of the EFTA - within 1/2lb anyways. The EFTA installed beautifully though and no pool noodle needed. :thumbsup:

So I haven't decided what I'm going to do for seats in there yet. The car is primarily going to be commute, or when kids aren't with us, but we may use it with the kids sometimes so I want to have at least 1 seat in there. Ds could potentially ff if the kids share a seat, but dd is 44lbs now and the EFTA ff'ing limit is 47lbs in Canada. Radian is out - I'm not changing harness height and adding/removing the safe stop on a regular basis. Which leaves the True Fit - but then I'd need another rf'ing seat for our primary vehicle.

So I really do need another carseat, right? :whistle:

I really do wish the EFTA went to 35lbs rf'ing in Canada because having ds in it again reminded me of just how much I truly love it... Anyways, while I mull over car seat combos in my mind, here are some pic's of the kids in their seats. :)

2potgdy.jpg

2hs9r8p.jpg

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Awesome! And WOW Jonas is all grown up! It seems like yesterday that he was still in his SS1!

Holly

Thats awesome!

When I hovered over the post before clicking, I thought you were announcing a pregnancy or something :whistle:

Shanora

LOL....SO not where i thought this thread was going!! Yay on the new car....I can't wait until we have a second car so that we wont have to plan who has what when. Except there will be NO car seats allowed in the second Vehicle....DH is getting his mustang...lol And according to him its just not Cool to have car seats in there....LMAO!!!!

snowbird25ca

Thats awesome!

When I hovered over the post before clicking, I thought you were announcing a pregnancy or something :whistle:

Hahaha, I may have felt like creating a little suspense. :cool:

Awesome! And WOW Jonas is all grown up! It seems like yesterday that he was still in his SS1!

I know, hard to believe huh? You can see the remnants of his last fall on his forehead. They had to glue it back together. And I was shocked at how close he's gotten to outgrowing the EFTA by height too. He really only has about 1" left to go.

LOL....SO not where i thought this thread was going!! Yay on the new car....I can't wait until we have a second car so that we wont have to plan who has what when. Except there will be NO car seats allowed in the second Vehicle....DH is getting his mustang...lol And according to him its just not Cool to have car seats in there....LMAO!!!!

ROFL about the mustang. Transit in the city here just plain sucks, we've done the single car thing for over 6 yrs now, and it is such an amazing feeling of freedom to not have that restriction anymore. :thumbsup:

Shanora

Yeah I can understand about the transit. It only comes to the base like 6 or 7 times in a day.....not reliable enough imo. And to top it off, DH is working this weekend (love the military sometimes...lol) and so he needs to drive the 45 minutes to work both days, and I am NOT getting up at 5:30am to take the van.....thankfully I have no need to go anywhere....but man.....less than a year owing on the van and then DH will be getting his car!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I am so happy for you! Happy new car day!!!

(It is also talk like a pirate day...)

arrrrrrr

snowbird25ca

Complete Air? :whistle:

I had the thought. And hey, with 15% off.... I know it's in a flyer in Oct... maybe it'll go on sale. :whistle:

Yeah I can understand about the transit. It only comes to the base like 6 or 7 times in a day.....not reliable enough imo. And to top it off, DH is working this weekend (love the military sometimes...lol) and so he needs to drive the 45 minutes to work both days, and I am NOT getting up at 5:30am to take the van.....thankfully I have no need to go anywhere....but man.....less than a year owing on the van and then DH will be getting his car!

That was similar with us - dh leaves for work at 5:30 am. It's nice because he's home at 3pm, but most playdates happen in the morning... or are at least pretty much over by the time we could get anywhere. That is really sucky bus service you guys have. It comes by our place every half hour, just takes a lot of transfers to get any place major and I have friends who live opposite side of the city and out of town where bus service wouldn't go.

I am so happy for you! Happy new car day!!!

(It is also talk like a pirate day...)

arrrrrrr

:ROTFLMAO: Last year, I had my dd say to dh when he came in the door on talk like a pirate day: "Ahoy matey, walk the plank!" And she carried it off perfectly. Said like only a 4yr old could say of course, lol.

I hear facebook has a pirate setting. (Totally OT mind you :eek:)

HKP1042

Thats awesome!

Me too. Love the new car. I always love buying a new car and I love it even more when I get to buy new carseats :p LOL

Mommy2Marcus

WOOT! Congrats on the new car! I will be getting a new to me car 1st of the year at tax time. It will have 4 doors at least....LOL....that is pretty much one of the only requirments. I could not however imagine not having a car! Enjoy!

As for Jonas! He has gotten so big since even I have started here. WOW. I am also shocked about how much he has grown since I last seen him in the EFTA!

MustangMama

DH is getting his mustang...lol And according to him its just not Cool to have car seats in there....LMAO!!!!

Hey now :cool:

I would like to have a chat with him.

You gotta tell him if he drives the coolest car he has to have one of the coolest seats on the market :)

I think it is even cooler to have car seats in sports cars. ALL the kids at DD's school yell at me when I pick her up "SWEET CAR!!". One of her little friends even asked if she could drive my car! I said to call me when she was 16.

snowbird25ca

Thanks guys. Yeah, Jonas is growing like a weed. A good weed of course. :p

I'm in the debate right now of trying to figure out if 1 seat in there will be good enough since it's going to be rare that we'll take the car if both kids are going to be with us.

It's funny - it took quite awhile for me to feel comfortable with the size of our Outlook, but driving a smaller vehicle there's absolutely no adjustment. And smaller parking spots are a fun thing too. :p

Mommy2Marcus - I probably had too many requirements in my mind. :eek: I wanted ABS, and lap/shoulder belts in all back seat positions, preferably with adjustable headrests in all 3 positions as well. Which pretty much meant it had to be a relatively new vehicle. We got a really good deal though which meant our payments on the car are pretty close to what they would've been on a used car, so I can't complain about that at all. :thumbsup:

canadiangie

Hey Trudy,

Congrats on the new ride. :)

I just wanted to chime in about you pondering whether you'll need two seats in what you're guessing will be the lesser used vehicle.

About a year ago dh and I bought a smaller commuter car. It was to be dh's, primarily to get him to work and back, little errands, etc.

Well, it wasn't long before it just seemed to make more sense for us to take the "commuter car" over the large SUV, *unless* we knew we'd need the extra cargo room -- big Costco trip, dog with us, travelling, etc. Even now I almost always opt to use the car (I do a ton of driving), and dh takes the SUV to work (it sits all day, so it makes more sense for him to take the thirsty ride).

I can honestly say that we drive the smaller, more fun, more fuel efficient commuter car about 90% of the time when we're all together. It just makes more sense in terms of fuel, and it's easier to park downtown, etc.

Who knows if this might happen for you too, but I just wanted to mention it...

(I vote for a second seat is the long and the short of it ;))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC