hmmm... I love the trunki... love the idea of this... but...

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
They show the kid sitting on it, and it looks like it would be extremely hard to buckle, and that an awful lot of kids would have the belt going over the armrests. That would be worse than no booster at all.

obamamama

Perfect, make the kids carry their own carseat around everywhere. And, with the pocket for stuff, you'll always have crushed goldfish and melted crayons!
:thumbsdown: Not for everyone, I guess.

F

ford124

As this is such an important purchase for many families moving on to the next level. I feel you can not judge this product by looking at an image! I can assure all members of Car Seat.org that as with all car seats the new BoostApak from Trunki has passed all of the safety requirements. Therefore it is safe.

Secondly I am currently road testing this ingenious booster seat with my daughter. Its not only safe and comfortable, it allows me to drop her to school with her car seat and I'm safe in the knowledge that when she is collected from school at the end of the day she will have the correct seat restraint.

I have also taken on a recent holiday and used in my hire car in France. Not sure if anyone has hired a car abroad, but in my experience the seats provided are often very worn and I'm reluctant to use.

One of the main reasons/barriers a child seat is not used is their portability and this is a way of improving that?

Please don't judge a book by its cover before reading it:)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks for finding this thread and providing us with some first hand feedback. Are you affiliated with the company or did you happen to be selected to personally try out the product and provide product feedback as a parent and consumer?

steph_s

I have a few "issues" with this seat!

-Most important issue. Children are HARD on their backpacks! It is NOT a good idea to have their car seats strapped to their backpacks. How many times have your kids tossed their bag somewhere, dropped it on the ground, ect? Hello broken seat!

-Traveling with the seat.. is it so hard to carry a no back booster seat? Seriously they are light as a feather so there is no need to rent a car seat (which btw is super dangerous to begin with you don't know if that seat was damaged, expired or recalled!) No one who knows an ounce about car seats would ever rent a seat of unknown origin.

Ditto I would like to know if you work for the company or how you came about "testing" this product?

monstah

No need to be so harsh just yet. No one from this site has gotten their hands on one. Until it is available in the US and we get to play with it, I don't think it is fair to judge it so negatively. It looks like a pretty cool concept to me and the belt fit looks good.

Ford124 - I hope we didn't scare you off. Any "insider" information is always appreciated here. If you could tell us more about this product, how you got one, how the seatbelt fits your child, etc. we would be all ears. :D

DahliaRW

I do wish it were a hbb with some head protection. To me, without that, it's totally not worth using this over just using a backless booster if I want something that portable.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I do wish it were a hbb with some head protection. To me, without that, it's totally not worth using this over just using a backless booster if I want something that portable.

Right, but the whole idea is that a kid can haul this around school, much more conveniently than a regular ol' Turbo or something.

Morganthe

I was intrigued until the kid opened up the 'pack' and it's hollow for 'stuff'. That cannot be safe in a high speed, high velocity accident. :(

If it was solid and the base a bit bigger, I'd probably be all for it.

I see a lot of kids hauling no back boosters on to the bus so they can go to friends' houses after school. They're a lot larger in the seat area and still light weight. I can purchase a no-back booster at Rofu Kinderland, Real, Edeka, any German or French Walmart-type store for the equivalent of $11 -- run around 7 euros. Heck, I have one as a spare.

It's really not that much of an "Imporant next step" decision. :shrug-shoulders: Nothing like the choice on what to get for a REAL full back solid booster seat costing a lot of money. This is designed for temporary use.

So, imo, it's too 'perchy'. Too high for a narrow base + needs to be solid. I would not use it.
No bashing or anti-new item sentiments at all to it. It's a cute idea, but one that needs to be tweaked a bit.

LOL, I have hired vehicles in Europe. I've always used my daughter's own seat. :shrug-shoulders: Same as in the US. Would not use an American rental company's seat either. Don't trust a safety seat that's not my own. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd want to see how it was constructed for sure, I agree, the hollow thing bugs me a bit. It looks like long-legged kids especially would be quite uncomfortable because of the shape-- look at the legs. Probably fine for kids who have a 5 minute carpool home after a church activity or soccer practice-- but defnitely not great for kids who have a 25-30 minute ride home. I do like that it has a belt adjuster for the shoulder portion and seems to hold the lap belt nicely on most kids.

Maedze

I really strongly dislike people who are clearly being paid to promote a product trying to act as though they've accidentally stumbled on a three month old thread and want to offer their honest opinion :rolleyes:

It's deceitful, and insults the intelligence of everyone involved. :twocents:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Most boosters are hollow or partially hollow - the turbo comes to mind - they are light weight for a reason. If they were solid, they would be much heavier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC