I went to a car seat check point today

macmomma

:thumbsup: So, Burlington had a car seat check point today :D
I have to say that they were very thoural ( however you spell that word LOL ), they took the car seat out of the car and inspected it, checked harness etc and even weighted the little guy :)
I had a towel under the car seat to protect the seat and they removed it saying that it can make the car seat slide, after that they cut me a piece of non-skid shelve liner and placed it under the car seat and reinstalled my seat.
They were also happy that he was rear facing:thumbsup:
Somehow they were able to instal the seat without having the knobs of my EFTA dig into the back of the seat- I was VERY happy about that!

Overal it was a very nice experience !

ADS

Pixels

Good!

One thing - shelf liner is no longer recommended. I would rather see a towel than shelf liner. Shelf liner can give you a false sense of a tight install because it won't slide when you give it a shake, but it won't hold in a crash. Also, shelf liner can actually melt into your vehicle seat. A single layer of thin towel won't make the seat any slipperier in a crash.

Oh, and it's "thorough." ;)

macmomma

Good!

One thing - shelf liner is no longer recommended. I would rather see a towel than shelf liner. Shelf liner can give you a false sense of a tight install because it won't slide when you give it a shake, but it won't hold in a crash. Also, shelf liner can actually melt into your vehicle seat. A single layer of thin towel won't make the seat any slipperier in a crash.

Oh, and it's "thorough." ;)

Oh wow- should I be putting the towel back under it now? :confused:
I want it to be tight and not just pretend tight- yikes!

LOL- now that I see the word spelled out correctly I remember it :eek:

Thanks for the feedback!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Also, while it sounds like they did a great check, they should have had you reinstall the seat, not just reinstall it for you. Your hands should be the last to touch the seat, especially if it's doing something different, like the knobs being moved to a new place. That way they know you can recreate it.

I prefer a towel. A thin cheap one. Its versatile and easily washed. And according to the Hitchhiker's Guide it's the one thing you should always have. :)

It sounds like a great check overall, though!!! Far better than most we hear about here.

Wendy

macmomma

They did ask why I was not using the Latch and I told them that I can not get a tight fit with it- one policeman was going to try using the latch to reinstall it but the CPST guy told them not to since I can not do it myself and I could not recreate it if I had to uninstall it.
I had no idea that I should have been the one to check it last- next time I will know:)

I guess I will be putting the towel back under it and remove the shelve liner.

Thanks for the feedback!

HKP1042

That's great. I so wish I could our EFTA in without the kobs digging in rear-facing. It is such a pain to loosen the straps because it is so tight against the seat. We have big plush luxury conversion van seats and I can barely get my hand in there to hit the loosening lever.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
That is great! All Burlington Coat Factory stores that have a Baby Depot were asked to have one. Target date was the 19th. Well, I had another clinic that day, so mine is this coming Saturday!

macmomma

That is great! All Burlington Coat Factory stores that have a Baby Depot were asked to have one. Target date was the 19th. Well, I had another clinic that day, so mine is this coming Saturday!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

macmomma

That's great. I so wish I could our EFTA in without the kobs digging in rear-facing. It is such a pain to loosen the straps because it is so tight against the seat. We have big plush luxury conversion van seats and I can barely get my hand in there to hit the loosening lever.

I know the feeling- I am glad that finally it won't be so hard to turn the knobs on mine.
When I get my new seat the EFTA will go in Hubby's truck FF since it will not fir RF but J. is only in his truck once maybe every other week for short rides so it should be okay.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC