Pickup truck, how to seat child?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Hopefully, this won't actually happen, but daughter (age 7.5, stats in siggy) may have to take two short rides in a pickup next week. It's a newish truck, no extended cab, not three-across, and I think it's a Ford but not completely sure.

Would it be better to have her harnessed in a Nauti and closer to the airbag or in a backless booster farther from the airbag?

ADS

lynsgirl

Personally, I'd go for harnessed. Not only does it offer more protection than the seatbelt, but the seat itself has more SIP than a backless. If there's a tether (which I'm assuming, based on your description of "newish"), so much the better. Just my :twocents: :)

Pixels

Because the back of the harnessed seat would move the child forward a couple of inches compared to a backless.

My vote is harnessed. When making the tough choice of which child to put in front of the airbag when the vehicle is full and one has to go up front, we always choose the harnessed child and leave a boostered child in back. Why? Because it's safer.

amyd

Because the back of the harnessed seat would move the child forward a couple of inches compared to a backless.

My vote is harnessed. When making the tough choice of which child to put in front of the airbag when the vehicle is full and one has to go up front, we always choose the harnessed child and leave a boostered child in back. Why? Because it's safer.

Gotcha...I was thinking that she was referring to actually moving the vehicle seat. I'd definitely harness in that situation:thumbsup:

valleyfam

NOT A TECH - Just what I would choose - harnessed. I'm guessing too but would assume you can turn off the air bag (I know mixed opinions on that) and top tether. Just from watching the crash test videos I'd choose harnessed over no back booster in any situation assuming of course the child fit the harnessed seat and it could be installed correctly. Hopefully you can avoid the scenario but it's what I would choose to do in a pinch. Good luck.

Elizabeths_Daddy

I drive a newer (2005) Ford f-150 (mine is an extended cab). I read in a service bulletin In these trucks (2004 and up) the air bag gets turned off automaticaly if the passenger does NOT weight ~100lbs.

Have you installed the seat in the truck to see what happens? There is a light on my dash that indicates when the Airbag is disabled.

EDIT: Here is the text from my owners manual:

The front passenger sensing system is designed to meet the regulatory
requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 208
and is designed to turn off the front passenger’s frontal airbag if:

• the front passenger seat is unoccupied, or has small/medium objects in
the front seat,
• the system determines that an infant is present in a rear-facing infant
seat that is installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions,
• the system determines that a small child is present in a forward-facing
child restraint that is installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions,
• the system determines that a small child is present in a booster seat,
• a front passenger takes his/her weight off of the seat for a period of time.
• A smaller person, such as a child who has outgrown child restraints,
or a small adult occupies the front passenger seat.

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, you should be able to turn off the air back. Also, with an air bag, always harnessed, not booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC