Questions about upgrading to Radian XTSL

charissa

DD is 18-months, 32 lbs, 34 1/2 inches tall.

She has limited RF time left in her Britax Marathon and her backup seat, the Cosco Scenera.

If we upgrade to the XTSL and I sell the other two seats, what could I expect to get for them/ask for them?

We shouldn't have any problems RF'ing the XTSL in my 2008 Subaru Impreza, right?

DH has '07 Toyota Tacoma, extended cab. DD has only ridden in the truck twice. We had to put her seat FF there b/c that's the only way it fits in the tiny extended cab. Can she RF in the truck's front seat if we turn off the airbag or are there not latches in the front seat?

When will we need to get a booster? When she is 4? There are no RF boosters are there? I want her to RF as long as possible.

If we take the XTSL on trips, we just have to make sure whatever car we ride in has lower latch anchors right?

Thank you!

ADS

DahliaRW

I don't know about installing the seats or the fit. My guess is if you can get it to install in the center it might fit between the two front seats. But it can be tricky to install with a seatbelt in a Subaru and there is no LATCH in the center. Is there anywhere near you you can go to try out the radian? You might also want to consider the complete air. It'll last longer than the radian rfing and it installs more upright.

As for a booster, most people on this board will say a minimum of 4 and 40lbs, but it's more preferred that she be 5-6 years old. Basically, if your dd can't sit in the booster properly every time, then she's not safe. So it's a maturity issue. But as long as she fits in a harnessed seat, she can stay in it.

charissa

Thank you, Dahlia!

I'm a little confused now though. I read that the Radian XTSL can *only* install in cars made after 2005 with lower anchors/latches. And I'm also confused that you said there are no latches in the center of the Subaru b/c that's where we have her Marathon RF'ing right now--in the center with the latches.

I hope someone can clairfy this for me.

What is the RF weight limit on the complete air? I was told that the radian would last longer for my daughter, than say a Britax Multitech (i'd really wanted to buy one even though they aren't allowed to be used in the US....

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Subaru does not allow you to use the lower anchors in the center. There is no designated center LATCH: there are two sets of lower anchors in the outboard position and you are not allowed to borrow anchors for a center installation.

The XTSL can always install with the vehicle belts. It can be installed with LATCH up to the vehicle LATCH limits in cars made before 09/2005 and up to 80# with LATCH in cars made after 09/2005.

Boosters do not RF. She can RF harnessed to 45# (or head 1" below the shell) in the XTSL and then stay harnessed FFing until she outgrows it, which will probably be by height rather than by weight and probably around 49"-52", depending on build.

charissa

Wow, thank you!

So, yikes! sounds like I need to reinstall her Marathon outboard today? I know another friend who has her DS in the center of her outback, should I tell her too? I guess the owner's manual says not to put them in the center with the latch?

Which outboard side is safer? Behind the passenger?

charissa

Wow, okay, so I just read my manual and sure enough, it says while you *can* install with a seat belt in the center it is not recommended due to the raised seat cushion. :eek: Better late than never, I guess.

Well, so now my question is out of all the higher weight limit rear-facing carseats (including the illegal Swedish Multitech) which one will install best in my compact Impreza outboard on the passenger side leaving the passenger some room? It will have to be passenger side b/c DH is 6'4" and needs to put the driver seat all the way back when he drives. Although I usually sit in the back with DD when he drives so there's rarely ever anyone on the front passenger seat. Should I post a new thread asking this question? Gosh, I knew there was always more to learn about car seat safety and thought I knew a lot, but apparently I knew *very little*. Thank you all for your help! I hope you don't think I'm a complete moron for not knowing all this stuff!

Gosh, this makes me think there needs to be some sort of system in place to educate first time parents about car seat safety. I'd called my local police and state police many many months ago to schedule an appointment to have my car seat installation checked and left several messages and no one ever returned calls to schedule. I doubt if they even would know had I gotten the appointment. Scary stuff!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC