Question Running rules in your vehicle?

AV8ERZ

What are your rules in your vehicle with the engine running?

What I am referring to is, if you are parked even for a few minutes to maybe eat a snack, or perhaps wait to pick somebody up etc. Do you make your kids stay buckled? Meaning booster seat or seat belt use, not 5-point harness!
This was brought to my attention yesterday as we completed another day of boating after school, (don't ask!) we just secured the boat for the trip home and with the engine running for air conditioning and while still in park, waiting for my fourteen-year-old god daughter to finish using the facilities, my ten-year-old god son was out of his seat pestering my five-year-old god son? I asked him why was he not buckled? He responded we weren't moving and that his friends mother does not make them stay buckled when they're parked? It annoyed me enough to have to ask because my god-kids know when the engine is running they better be buckled! Is this normal or am I being more strict? What do you require? I am curious, Help!

p.s. everybody that rides in my vehicle knows it CAN'T move until everybody is buckled :)

ADS

TXAggieTech

Usually if we are parked with the car running I make everyone stay buckled just to cut down on the fighting. If we are on the side of the road everyone stays buckled no exceptions.

If we are somewhere where there in nearly zero chance of getting hit (like parked at the RV waiting for DH to do something) then DS is allowed to roam the back seats, just never allowed up front (airbags).

LEAW

Parked in a parking spot or our drive, unbuckled is ok. My kids know they can't open the door until the engine is off. And bugging other kids isn't ok.

But my daughter is the only one who can unbuckle herself right now, so it's not much of an issue. And my kids are both harnessed.

Stopped at the side of the road, you stay buckled.

I've also been known to ask my kids to get buckled and STAY buckled while I run back in the house for something, or run the 6' away to the mailbox to drop in a letter.

Northriver

Everyone must be buckled before I start the car, and with very few exceptions, pretty much everyone stays buckled all the time the engine is running. Too easy to drive off with someone unbuckled if you let people unbuckle. This applies to kids and adults, my parents are the WORST!

NannyMom

The kids remain buckled even if we're just killing time in a parking lot. They still always ask to unbuckle. I'd let them unbuckle if they'd stay sitting in their seats, but they don't. I don't want kids bouncing around the van. And often, we're sitting in the car with the engine off (and windows down).

3plus2isme

If we're parked in a proper parking spot at school or in a parking lot I let them unbuckle.

If we're parked on the side of the road for whatever reason then NO, they can't unbuckle.

If we're parked at the end of the line of cars outside the school I still don't let them unbuckle - I'm always afraid someone will rear-end us. But if another parked car is behind us I'm OK with it.

amy919

Hmmm, this is one I never even thought about! I guess because my kids have never complained or asked to be unbuckled or unbuckle themselves, so we've never really established a rule, per se.

As long as we're in the vehicle, stopped, parked, eating, whatever, everyone remains buckled in their seats until I unlock the doors and open mine. Now that we've finally broken down and bought a minivan, Kaylie can buckle/unbuckle herself. Once we get to school, home, etc., she waits until I unlock the door and always asks if she can get out of her seat. Teagan stays in her seat buckled until I unbuckle her.

So, I guess the rule in my house is, until I am out of the car and the doors are opened, everyone stays in their seats, buckled in at all times.

HEVY

DD has to remain buckled until I tell her she can take it off, which isn't until the car is off and keys are out regardless of where we are.

HisMommy414

I don't have a vehicle of my own, but my parents do. We all live together and since I'm the one who's educated most when it comes to car safety, I make the rules. We don't go until everyone is properly restrained, whether it be me, my mom, my step-dad, or my five month old son. I always put DS in his seat and buckle him up first before anyone even gets in, so I don't need to worry about him just yet. It's my step-dad that has to be monitored since he is so used to not wearing his seat belt. If we're in a parking space waiting for someone, I'll unbuckle. But as soon as I see that person coming back, I immediately buckle back up. If I think I have enough time, I'll get DS out of his seat to change his diaper or make adjustments to his outfit if necessary. He gets put right back in his seat as soon as I'm done though.

I'm sure that when I have my own car the rules will be that the car does not move until everyone is properly restrained. Unless we're in a parking space or somewhere where we will be less likely to get hit, the seat belts and harnesses stay on. If we go to the store, as soon as we get back to the car DS goes right back to his car seat or seat belt.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Nobody unbuckles until we're ready to get out. I've seen accidents in parking lots, driveways, even our enclosed, gated parking garage. If we're sitting in the car, we're buckled (or in the process of getting so.) Period.

ilo

If the car is running everybody will be buckled. If we are waiting on road we will stay buckled. Only if we are properly parked somewhere and waiting longer than 10min we unbuckle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC