Need recommendatiosn for a seat in Europe

zosiasmama

Hey all!
I am American but I live in Poland.

I need two recommendations.

1. My son is 18 months and 12 kilos. We have a Concord Ultimax right now for him, but I hate this seat. What I really want is the Sunshine Kids Radian65. but I do not think it is available in Europe...so sad. So what else would I like? I love that the Radian can be RF for so long.

2. My daughter is 3 and a half and 18 kilos. I need a seat for my mother in law to use in her car. She is currently FF and I am ok with her staying FF.

I so appreciate any advice, I feel a bit like a fish out of water searching through all of these seats that I know nothing about!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Since you live in Poland, you need to buy EU approved seats. (The only exception is if you are there under a diplomatic or military visa.)

Good news! EU approved seats includes Swedish seats, which can RF even longer than the new Radians!

I don't know about your 3 1/2 year old (I would have her RF-- I just turned my 3 1/2 year old back around!) other than that at least one Swedish seat does allow FF as well as RF to a higher weight limit (25 kilos). Oh, and I hear that Safe Traffic System is planning on bringing their vests worldwide within the next year or so, but we don't know if that is really happening. I don't know, other than that, what is available and will defer to someone who does. :) All I can say is that I definitely wouldn't booster her, and since most EU seats do not use top tethers, and your MIL probably doesn't have anchors in her car anyway, I wouldn't want her in a FF harness, I'd put her RF if possible (and it would be possible, most probably) until she was old and big enough to go in a booster. :)

Check out www.carseat.se, which is owned by one of our members, AdventureDad, who is very helpful, and they are also a sponsor of car-seat.org. :)

Adventuredad

Swedish seats are just like guru Ketchupqueen says certified for use all over Europe. We recommend rear facing to at least 4 years of age so my recommendations are based on that. May I ask what car you drive? Do you have Isofix? ARe your kids very tall? Most Swedish seats allow rear facing to 55 lbs and that includes two seats, Britax Two-Way and Britax Multi Tech, which can later on be used forward facing.

Your younger son will be fine in any of the rear facing Swedish seats. Izikid and Maxi Cosi Mobi take up most room and are best installed in front seat (airbag deactivated, this is as safe as rear seat). Most of the other seats fit fine in mid-size or smaller cars.

Multi Tech and Two-Way allow most kids to sit rear facing past 5 years of age and need relatively little space despite being larger seats. A mid size car will be fine and there will still be room in the front.

If you have a small car, Britax Hi-Way or DuoLogic II by Akta/Graco is recommend since these seats are the most compact rear facing seats on the market.

I would recommend your older daughter to sit rear facing but if you want to go FF then Britax Kid Fix (Isofix seat) would be the safest. This is a high back booster. I think 3.5 is too early to sit FF though and would recommend a rear facing seat instead.

Other good FF high back boosters would be Britax Kid Plus and Britax Adventure. These are installed with seat belt only and might be easier for your mothers car.

If you still want to go FF and want a harnessed seat Britax Two-Way is your only choice. It's the only seat in Europe which allow FF to 55 lbs with harness (also Rf to 55 lbs and FF with seat belt to 55 lbs. Please note that a harnessed seat is not any safer than a high back booster but some parents prefer it anyway.

Please ask here or email hakan@carseat.se if you have more questions

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Please note that a harnessed seat is not any safer than a high back booster but some parents prefer it anyway.

Please note: AD is correct that a high-back booster is not less safe than a harnessed seat for an older child. Younger children, such as your daughter, are not old enough to use a booster properly, either to have it fit properly or to stay seated properly. Also, skeletal development is not as advanced as it is in a 5-6 year old or even a 4 year old, and at 3, the more points the forces are spread across, the better. That is why I recommend a 5-point harness for a 3 year old.

However, all evidence indicates that even safer than a forward-facing 5 point harness for a 3 year old, is a rear-facing 5-point harness for a 3 year old. If a parent has access to a rear-facing seat that will fit their 3 year old, they should rear-face their three year old for optimum safety. If there are no rear-facing seats available that fit, they should use a forward-facing harness if available. A high back booster should only be used if there is no harnessed seat that will fit the child available (and special needs seats should be explored before this option is tried except in dire emergency situations.) In Europe, you have access to the way to keep your child safEST. So the number 1 safest choice is available; I would choose number 1. :)

zosiasmama

Thanks so much everyone!

To answer Adventuredad's questions:
We drive a Skoda Superb.
We do have Isofix.
My duaghter is rather tall for her age.

I will check into those seats. And yes I do want to get my daughter a seat where she can be rear facing again.

I do have one question. Which seats can I use on an airplane?
We travel at least once a year back to the states and I like to keep them in car seats on the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC