Frontier install

tl01

Just curious what part of the Frontier install is the challenging part for everyone. I know so many people have issues with installing this seat and don't like to redo it frequently. So far I haven't had a terribly time with the seat except in my mom's car which I've decided is not compatible with the seat. For me, the hardest part is just routing the belt through the LBP without letting the seat belt retract. I can usually get the seat installed in about 3 minutes.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It's pretty much the same for me, with the main challenge of keeping the seatbelt from retracting and robbing the seatbelt length necessary to route through the long belt path and buckling. Since a second set of hands isn't always around, using a chip clip or binder clip to temporarily hold the seatbelt extended at the shoulder belt's switchable retractor just shy of engaging the retractor's locking mechanism helps. :twocents: I had to reinstall the Frontier without my handy binder clip the other day while keeping an eye on my 4 year old, who was scurrying around the yard blowing bubbles. It took me a couple of attempts before getting it the seatbelt routed and buckled. The kids seem to have hidden the binder clip from me - I'm sure it will turn up after I buy another clip. :rolleyes:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My main problem has been in cars which don't have enough belt to easily use the LBP. Shorter belts make it very difficult, and sometimes you have to use the SBP-- and the SBP is a PITR.

Niea

My main issues is that because I have forward of the bite buckles, its hard to get a tight install using the seatbelt. And because DD is 42lbs and I drive a Honda, it has to be the seatbelt. Thankfully for me the belt is long enough for the LBP because I tried with the SBP and couldn't NOT get it anywhere near tight (like 4-6 inches of movement). It was such a pain to get in there tight that I am loathe to ever remove the seat.

MJL

My Honda also has forward of the bight buckle stalks, not enough belt for the LBP install, and a loose install with the SBP. It took looking through here for every trick in the book LOL to get a good tight install with the SBP. I'm certainly no expert installer, but damn that was really, really hard!

WhatAboutPuppy

My struggle has been... I've never gotten a SBP install with mine. ever. Infact, I stood in the seat and shoved my back against the ceiling and had DH use all his strength to get the belt clicked for LBP cuz SBP wouldn't work... lol

tl01

I was surprised that in my mom's car that I couldn't get it installed with the LBP. If only it had about 2 inches more belt. I sat in the seat and pulled and tugged and it was just too short. Does that happen often?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC