What does the inside of your car look like?

Lys

Senior Community Member
I have a few IRL friends whose vehicle's always look like they have just about everything their child has to their name laying around the floorboard of their car.
I keep telling them how dangerous this is. That any of those objects could become projectiles in an accident.
They tease me all the time because there is literally nothing in my car ( besides of course Ian's Regent). And they want to know how I manage.
So, I'm curious about everyone else's car.
Is it bare of anything, has everything but the kitchen sink, or somwhere in between?

ADS

Simplysomething

The inside of my car...

the booster and the carseat
the diaper bag sits on the floor under the babys seat.

And lots of random toys that have been brought into the car, including that damned glowworm and possibly a rescue hero.

Also, lots of tiny bits of paper and crumbs. And lots of reciepts.

It's a mess. Like a giant garbage can. Gross. I should have vacuumed it out this weekend, but oh well. I'll do it tomorrow, maybe.

SPJ&E

I do my best to keep everything out of the floor and either in the trunk or just not in the car at all, but it somehow manages to pile-up sometimes! For the most part though, there isn't much...maybe a pair of shoes, a toboggan, a baby sock, and a roll of paper towels, lol.

I always have the paper towels there because Pacey gets carsick about once a month...I don't really think those would be a really dangerous projectile though!

My partner's car is a mess...but I anytime we go in that car, I just grab everything out of the floor and throw it in the trunk.

SPJ&E

Oh and of course the crumbs and receipts, lol...and the carseats...didn't think to mention those. The diaper bag usually goes in the trunk, but sometimes goes in the back floor.

lovinwaves

I have an immaculate car (99% of the time). I am a clean freak, especially when it comes to vehicles. It might be because my parents own carwashes though. I have nothing absolutely nothing in my car, but my cell phone charger, Diaper Bag, Maclaren, & Peg Perego. I don't even keep things in the cubby holes. My van has a million of those, but I am afraid once I start putting stuff in there I won't be able to stop LOL! :D Oh, each of the kids gets to carry a little car with them while I am driving, but that's it. We don't eat or drink in our cars either, unless absolutely necessary, well the kids get to have water. But, breastfeeding IS allowed LOL :D

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Nice and clean! Granted, I don't have kids, but little piles of life in my car drive me nuts (a messy desk drives me nuts too). All I have in there is a water bottle, and an ice scraper and dust mitt thingy. The scraper and mitt hang out between my seat and doorjamb. My sunglasses live on the passenger seat too.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
A carseat, crumbs, dirt, dust, gum, a bobby pin, maybe a couple of receipts in the door, CD's in the console, dusting glove in the glove compartment. That's about all!

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
Yesterday my car was a disaster...I was traveling with a friend, both of us have 2 kids each...four kids 4 and under. The floor was covered in sippies, M&M's, crumbs, blankets, etc. Today, my car is immaculate b/c I spent an hour this morning cleaning it all out, shampooing the carpets even!

Usually, though, there are a couple blankets if it's winter, at least one pair of socks (b/c my 2yo refuses to keep her shoes and socks on in the car!) a book or two, and my purse. We keep it pretty clean!

Lara

The carseat of course. Mabe a couple books... she likes to read to herself, a few CD's for those times there is nothing good on the radio, the mei tai, my purse and everything else goes in the trunk (lets not get into what is in there! :eek:)

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Oyyy, what a day to ask this question.

Dh and I took all the Christmas stuff down yesterday and today, and loaded it into the back of my van to take to storage... So, 1st row... tons of reciepts, crumbs, etc, most likely a half empty can of soda, diaper bag (never leaves the car), maya wrap, my fleece coat... 2nd row... 2 carseats, lightweight coats for both kids, misc small toys, an umbrella, a bottle of water, blankets, used napkins/tissues, crumbs... 3rd row/trunk (3rd row is folded down)... christmas crap, stroller, dh's jacket, 2 toys to return to walmart... the headrest i had to remove to install one of the carseats, 1st aid kit...

Needless to say... my van is not safe today.

Lovinwaves: No breastfeeding while driving/moving! (duh, but just in case!)

I'll clean it tomorrow, i swear.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I always have the paper towels there because Pacey gets carsick about once a month...I don't really think those would be a really dangerous projectile though!

We have the car sick problem as well. I usually keep a ice cream pail with the lid (for easier clean up) (not in there right now though, but it should be) and a box of kleenex, paper towel is a great idea!

Lovinwaves: No breastfeeding while driving/moving! (duh, but just in case!)
I used to all the time on long trips. I found a way that worked and we ALL stayed buckled!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I try to keep it clear. There are some things that are always in there that give it a cluttered look, but are not dangerous. My gym things, a towel, my gloves and wrist supports, some knee supports, a sweatshirt, etc. My purse stays in the car. Piper's seat, of course. My yoga mat and some light things are in the back. There's usually at least one pair of shoes. Piper takes them off all the time and we leave them in there so if we go somewhere that requires them she can put them on.

Otherwise, though, I *try* to keep it clean. If there's stuff in the car it's in the footwell or on the floor or in the trunk. Whatever Piper is playing with is on the seat with her, and sometimes light things like my purse or my gym stuff are on the passenger seat.

Wendy

Morganthe

LOL what a time to ask this question! :D Up to yesterday my car was a complete disaster thanks to that road trip we took last week. DH complains, but never cleans out unless specifically requested :rolleyes:

Even though the back area was covered with stuff, it was all soft. :D I pulled out an entire trash bag of extra clothes, coats, and footwear that were down in the foot well. Some empty plastic water bottles were down there too with LOTS Of crumbs! I don't know what it is with DH, but whenever he gives dd something to eat from a quick store, it's crumby & messy. I hate it, but what can I do?

Now the poor car just needs a good vacumming & wash. All straightened up. DD's infant-toddler leap pad is in its bag down behind passenger seat, some small soft toys and that's about it. Diaper backpack is about the only item that travels with us in the cabin. It's behind me in the footwell or on the front passenger floor. The big quilt & stroller is in the trunk. My wallet, sunglasses, & gloves are next to me. Not much, eh. Everything is so close and dd is mature enough, she doesn't need to eat or drink in the car anymore. Even then, she just uses the same water flask I have.

The only thing I really occasionally worry about is the sheer amount of books I have on library day. We're definitely book addicts. (grin)

Usually mine's messy with lots of fun projectiles floating about. We're trying to be more conscious of that nowadays, though, and right this moment my van is pretty cleaned out from when we got back from our holiday trip 10 days ago. :)

*2 conv. seats: Dc#5's Radian, Dc#6's AOE.
*2 PWs
*diaper bag with extra clothes, first aid, baby carrier (doubles as a light blanket/shawl on occasion), stuff I rarely get into these days, but am ALWAYS glad I keep it stowed there for those occasions I do need it.
*cellphone chargers, stowed in small cubby up front along with some AA batteries and a few other small items
*fire extinguisher, hiding stowed under front passenger seat
*roll of paper towels in storage cubby alongside bench seats, driver's side.
*DVD player installed overhead
*2 headsets for DVD player, stowed with paper towels
*various papers, coloring books, plastic grocery bags for trash use, stuffed in the pockets on the backs of the driver's & passenger's seats.

Normally there is an umbrella stroller in the back end (safe from becoming a projectile there AFAIK), various small toys & books the kids bring along and forget to bring in, and paper junk between the two front seats that ends up sliding around anyway. But for right now, we're clean. :D

But I'm not going to talk about how very badly the carpeting/upholstery needs to be vacuumed/cleaned. ;)

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Well, I have 5 carseats: Cosco Protek HBB, BV, Touriva, WZ, Intera. I know there is way too much stuff in my van, its a mess all time, but not usually with hard things, other than the kids books. I have plenty of junk mail that has gotten lost under the seats, A garbage bag that I stuff garbage into anytime we're stopped or waiting anywhere (of course garbage that is only right there within my reach, so the back is still a mess). We also have a little plastic potty chair for emergencies. There are lots of crumbs on the floor, maybe a french fry here or there (and we only have them less than once a month!), cheerios and Kix, and every once in a while I find a really old sippy cup that has been lost in the back for way too long (yuck!) Last night I found a shoe and a sandal, so I brought those into the house. Its amazing how stuff seems to get lost back there!

Shaunam

The regent on one side, a toy caddy type thing strapped to the front seat on the opposite side. Usually blankets and jackets in the backseat. Food wrappers in the front from DH. He's the only one who eats in the car. I made a "no food for Adrian in the car" rule after I had to take the seat apart and dig animal crackers and chicken nuggets out of there. EW! Plus I worry about him choking. He has oral issues that make him choke more than your average 2 year old. Maybe a sippy cup or two on the floor. We only own like 3 sippies though. LOL Usually the front passenger seat has our junk mail on the floor because I'd rather it litter our car than our house. :p

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What I am REALLY bad about doing is putting my work "stuff" in the backseat and not in the trunk.

Almost everyday, I put my VERY heavy laptop and bookbag in the floorboard behind my seat, and my purse in the backseat. I REALLY need to be better about putting that stuff in my trunk.

Right now, I have a raincoat on the backseat, a textbook on the floorboard (need to move that!), a Target bag with baby clothes in the backseat, and a bunch of stuff in the cubby in the front seat (an MP3 player, two CDs, the charger for my cell phone, a hairbrush, a ChapStick, a lipstick, a pair of sunglasses, and a bunch of other stuff). I REALLY need to move all that stuff!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Mine is 95% of the time spotless. A messy car drives me nuts and stresses me out for some reason. I have 3 carseats in the back and leave my diaper bag/purse on the floor behind the drivers seat. Then I have 2 strollers in the cargo area and a baby bjorn. Up in the drivers cockpit there is nothing. If I need to charge my phone I plug it in but when not in use it is stowed in the center console(same with my ipod, DVD's, and other random items). And I vacuum it out once a week because the black interior is wayyy less forgiving then the light gray interior my Sienna had.

What is the consensus on those seat-back hanging organizer thingies? Safe, not, or safer-than-just-lying-around-at-least?

I forgot about a couple of things in my van-- a large First Aid kit and a caution triangle stand thingie to place on the road in case of a breakdown/accident/whatever. Both are the size of large books, and are stuffed together under the outer part of the rear bench seat, where they are basically wedged. Don't know how safe that is, but they didn't move when we had our accident last summer.

We also have a small stowage compartment to the side of our back end, where we keep some other emergency items, like jumper cables, ice scraper, a few tools...

smurf

Carseats.
Children in carseats.
Loose Cheerios around carseats (they seem to multiply when no one's looking).
Mommy with huge belly in driver's seat.
Soft Kleenex package.
Ice scraper and soft cloth for wiping sunglasses in driver's door stowaway.
Windshield liquid and stroller in trunk.

Pretty boring, huh?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC