? out of curiosity

HKP1042

For those whose kids rear-face in some seats and FF in others why?

Is it that they rear-face in the car they are in the most and forward face in other cars? Just curious....LOL

ADS

arly1983

For those whose kids rear-face in some seats and FF in others why?

I don't have that situation now but have in the past.

For me, it was because my daughter was 34 lbs and I had a 33 lb RFing limit in one car and a 35 lb RFing limit in another car.

I am sure there are more people with this situation now that the 40 lb RFing limit seats are out.

emandbri

Elizabeth is rear-facing in my van but forward facing in Brian's car which she rides in about 2 or 3 times a month. In the van I have a radian that goes to 40 lbs rear-facing and my other seats go to 35 lbs rear-facing (except for the my ride which doesn't fit in his car). I can't justify buying yet another seat to keep her rear-facing in a car 2 or 3 times a month when she is over 3 and 36 lbs.

Nisha

Trey rides FF in the pickup because there is no way any car seat will fit RF in the back seat. He COULD ride RF in the front passenger seat (there's no passenger air bag) but that would leave me with no head rest and a lap only belt.

He rides RF in the other vehicles.

Dillipop

Gilbey is 3+ right now. He rides rfing in my car, which is the vehicle he rides in 95% of the time.

In dh's car, we switched him forward right around his 3rd birthday. He is now in a ffing only seat and he and Dillon can switch back and forth between the seats in dh's car.

He has been ffing in my mom's car the longest. Since he was 2.5 and he got a bit tall for the uptown/scenera that we were using in her car. Plus, my mom would remove the seats often, so when we got together and used her car, I'd have to reinstall. It is much quicker to install the uptown ffing (30 sec) versus rfing in her car. :eek:

We do have 1 seat that he could still rf in in one of the vehicles. But he is in them so rarely that we only keep him rfing in mine.

AtTheSouthDam

Ciara has ridden FF in grandma's and auntie's cars because neither car seat will fit RF in the TA or the mustang. It has only been one trip in each thus far and trading cars isn't an option as I cannot drive a manual :eek:

menfusse

My dd rides RF in our car and FF in my in law's car. She has her one day a week. It's difficult for my mother in law to reach the adjuster when that seat is RF and her hands are quite stiff/weak from arthritis. That being said, if she was younger, we'd make adjustments, as she only went FF in the last 4 months or so, so she was already over 3 by that time.

Stretchy Glue

I have a friend who has a 25 lbs 15 month old. In the main car she is rf in a MA, but in her DH's truck (extended cab Dodge with only one back door that opens) she is ff in a RA between two brothers who are in boosters. They smaller of the 2 couldn't get over or under the rf seat, and needed a shoulder belt.

armywife12

Caleb is currently rear facing in the Myride in my van and rear facing in the true Fit installed in hubby's Neon. Caleb is about 33-34lbs right now so he'll reach 35lbs in about a month probably. When he hits 35lbs, he'll go forward in the Frontier we have for him and that will be installed in my 08 Caravan while he continues to rear face in the Myride in daddy's little Neon. Although he rides most of the time in my van, I feel that the van is safer than the Neon so I'd rather have him rear face in that vehicle and forward face in mine. He is 25 months old today.

fyrfightermomma

For us it was logistics. My husband has a small car. The younger child needed to be RFing no matter what. The older one was about 2 1/2, the baby just a little over one. We just couldn't fit two rear facing convertibles and still have him drive. So she went forward facing in his car she rode in about 3 times monthly and stayed RFing in mine

In my parents care, my father is very obese. Hence the seat must be ALL the way back. There isn't a way to put two RFing seats in. Again, the younger child won out so in their car she went FFing

After age 3, for friends taking her and convenience she went FFing but stayed RFing in my car. My friends could install a FFing seat but had a hard time installing a RFing seat properly.

So thats why for me :)

DahliaRW

Because I can't afford 2 40lb rfing seats for my tall ds2 who is 32lbs. He rides rfing in my car, which he rides in the most. He rides ffing in my dh's car which he's in less than once a week. I have a MA for that car that is only rfing to 33lbs, which he's close to plus he's *really* close to maxing out the rfing height on it. Since he was so close I just flipped him since it's a pain for me to check his fit every time he rides with dh. In my car I would have left that seat rfing until I absolutely couldn't anymore if there wasn't another option. Fortunately now he's in a CA in my car and will be for a long time. He also rides ffing in a scenera in my in-laws car, which he's in maybe twice a year! Just logistics. Too much of a pain to continually move one seat, and ffing only in cars he doesn't ride in much and therefore is less likely to be ffing in an accident then if his seat were ffing in my car.

itzmeigh

Jacob did it. For him he was RFing in my car that he was in 99% of the time and FFing with my mom because they have a 2 door and it was just too hard on them to deal with RFing. I think he also road with DH FFing. But honestly it was like only 1% of the time he was ever in another car, He just almost never ride with anyone else.

Right now at 4 years old and almost 40 pounds he even rides in a booster for 1 mile on about 7 Fridays when my Mom picks him up from school. Yet he rides in a harness any other time.

It just wouldn't be worth it for me to install a seat in her car and for her to have to climb back there and deal with getting him in and out. The booster is easier. But it is so rare and there is almost no other traffic that I'm not that concerned.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My 3 year old is currently rear-facing in our car, but FF in others'. We only have one 40 lb. RF seat. (That will change soon, but as all the 40+ lb. RF seats will be in our car, she will still be RF only in our car most of the time.) She's at an age where RF is safEST but I'm okay with "safe enough" in a FF 5-point harness in most people's cars-- since she's hardly ever in them.

Mommy2Marcus

Mine is b/c my son was pretty close to the RF limits over last winter & also b/c my DH had a really hard time getting him properly straped in right while RF in his 2 door. So I felt with as close as he was to the RF limit & with DH having a really hard time strapping him in right he was safer in a properly installed FF seat with a properly tightened harness at the time. He also only rides occasionally in DH's car.

When I turned him back RF in my car, I left him FF in the other 2 cars he rides in. He rides a few times a week with DH from my MIL's house which is 2.5 miles down the road on back roads that you can only drive 25 MPH on & very occasionally from work to home when we meet up at work. The with my MIL he rides maybe 3-4 times a month in her car at most. So I felt okay with him FF with her.

As for my car, he rides in it 95% of the time. He runs errands with me & all sorts of other things. Also if we go on long trips we take DH's car & if we do he goes back RF for the long trip.

Lea_Ontario

He's FF now in both vehicles :( but for a long time, Bear was RF in our main vehicle (van) in a seat with a 35-lb RF limit, and FF in our secondary vehicle (car) in a seat that has a 30-lb RF limit.

Can't afford even one 40-lb RF limit seats :( and he'd still have to be FF in the car because there is NO way the true fit will fit in a 3-across in the car.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I only have one seat my ds CAN rear face in, so it's in the least safe vehicle - and he is outboard, with dd center.

He is forward facing in my van because my van is one of the safest vehicles on the market and even though he rides with me more, I want him RFing with my mom - she isn't as good of a driver and her vehicles isn't as safe.

HKP1042

Thanks I was just curious. DH has been fighting me tooth and nail to turn DS around in his truck. He is 2 but only 20 lbs. I have debated turning him just in the truck and keeping him RF in my van for as long as possible.

I did turn him in my moms car (just the weekend that she was watching him) because they are carseat challenged so I wanted to make it as easy as possible for them to buckle him properly.

lynsgirl

Currently, my ds3 (will be 3 in a month) rides RF w/me or with dh, but if he is in my mom's car, he is FF. I have a MA at her house and if I or my sister install it, my mom can use it correctly. If I had it RF, I really doubt she'd have him buckled up properly and she'd get waaay more annoyed with the whole thing than it's worth. Since he is rarely in her car, I'd rather he be in a properly used seat when he is with her.

On occasion, dh has had to install a seat for ds3 in his car when I am not around. His car is the car from he!! to install RF seats in. It's a bear to install anything in any direction in the center, which is often where ds3's seat is. The times he's had to install a seat, he's had a MA and he's installed it FF outboard. The man even remembered the tether last time. It was all very, very good. I was happy :love:. It's been a long time coming.

vonfirmath

My son rides forward facing at childcare because I'd rather they use a seat properly forward facing than improperly rear facing. And while I'm confiden they know how to use the seat the way they are used to, I am not at all confident in their ability to use it rear-facing properly. So we decided not to push the issue for the little time he is in their car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC