Question oobr seat depth and comfort

twokidstwodogs

So I'm considering buying an Oobr (Julius!) but am a bit worried about the seat depth, particularly for older kids using it in backless mode. We currently have an Ollie, which my tall 7 year-old finds very comfortable, but it seems as though the Oobr is a fair bit shallower than the Ollie. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether a child who is close to passing the 5-step test would find the Oobr too small as a backless booster? TIA!

ADS

twokidstwodogs

I based it on the measurements that hsjwmom very helpfully provided on another thread and comparing them with Olli measurements. The cushion depth on the Olli is 13.1 inches, while it looks like the Oobr's is closer to 12 inches. (I did not go out and measure my own Olli; I just pulled comprehensive measurements from SafeandSecurebaby.com, figuring they would be accurate.) I also got the sense that hsjwmom found the Oobr to be shallower and narrower than the Olli, but perhaps that is wrong?

I need an extra backless booster now for DD1's friends, but would like to buy the Oobr so I have it for DD#2 when she's ready for one. I just worried that it wouldn't be that comfortable in backless mode for bigger kids. But maybe it doesn't matter for occasional carpools. We own two Ollis, so DD#2 will never even have to use the Oobr in backless mode as her main seat. (I'm assuming DD#1 will pass the 5-step test in my car before DD#2 is out of a HBB.) But I'd like to know before I drop that kind of cash on a booster!

hsjwmom

I haven't had dd try it out backless, but the seat on it is definitely narrower than the Olli. DD is used to it now and says she is very comfortable. I think she just had to get used to it feeling different from her old BG, which was width adjustable. It does seem more shallow than the Olli, but it doesn't seem to bother dd anymore. :shrug-shoulders: I tried letting her use a footstool and she hated it! She said it made her even more uncomfortable. :rolleyes: Anyway, I love the rigid LATCH and how well made this seat is, so I'm pretty sure we're keeping it.

OP, for your situation, I would really try to find somewhere that carries the Oobr so you can try it out.

ETA: We're planning to go on a day trip tomorrow, but I'll see if I can measure the seat depth with the back off. I suspect it may gain some depth without the back.

twokidstwodogs

Thanks, that is helpful. I hadn't thought about the fact that it would gain depth with the back off, but it makes sense.

I haven't yet found any place that plans to carry the Oobr, despite the fact that I live in a large metro area with lots of fancy baby stores. Too expensive, I guess, and not enough people interested in LATCH-able boosters.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the Oobr. When DD#2 ends up using a HBB full-time, we can always switch to our Compass B510s for long trips, if she finds them more comfortable. The Oobr looks perfect for most of the driving we do.

J

jakurtz

I just received the oobr from elitecarseats.com. I'm sending it back since the depth of the seat is way too short for my 4-year-old who is 42 inches tall. I didn't measure the seat before I wrapped it back up, but it was definitely a significant amount shorter than the Britax Frontier that he is currently using. I would say that his legs were about 2 inches longer (from hip to knee) than the seat. So, his upper leg was overhanging the seat by about 2 whole inches. He claimed it felt okay, but it looked a little uncomfortable to me. I guess you gain 2 inches when you take the back off of the oobr, but if I wanted no back, I would have just purchased the olli. The seat is really nice and high quality - I just wish it were a little bigger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC