Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Please Help Been looking but with no luck!

I am looking for a carseat for my friends son who is 9yrs old w/ CP! He is 70lbs. She would like something that will Harness him rather than use the lap/ shoulder belt! I had done some looking around myself but the only thing I really have any info on is the Frontier from Britax! Cost is not an issue!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Re: Please Help Been looking but with no luck!

Can you get a sitting height for him? sit against a wall and measure from the floor to his *shoulders*?

That would really help us recommend some seats that might work for him.
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Can you get a sitting height for him? sit against a wall and measure from the floor to his *shoulders*?

That would really help us recommend some seats that might work for him.
    yes please.

There are several tall seats out there with high harness limits that can help a child with CP ride comfortably. The Regent, the Roosevelt....
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

Senior Community Member

Yeah, I was thinking the Roosevelt or the new one from Merritt http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...hlight=merritt
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

If cost is not an issue (or she can get assistance from insurance), I'd recommend a special-needs seat like the Merritt Roosevelt. A Regent might fit now, but won't for all that much longer, I don't think.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

There's also the Recaro Monza, which goes to 110.2 pounds.
    http://www.exomotion.com/th_exomotio...112&Itemid=156

I think with this seat it does harness, but if I remember correctly, you may need to use the vehicle's lap/shoulder belt with the harness. But I'm not 100% sure on that. It would be something to ask about.

Laurie - special needs trained CPST, COTA/L & mom to:
    *Marshall
    08/16/02 ~ 12/22/02
    *Murphy 01/05/05, 50 pounds, GN, Monterey, Vivo
    *Anders 09/11/07, 44 pounds, Monterey, Vivo

What about an 86Y? Or a RSTV? I'm not sure of the weight limits on either, but they may be something to look into.

Katie, momma to Kayleigh 5/9/2006 and Samantha 5/8/2012

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Law View Post
    There's also the Recaro Monza, which goes to 110.2 pounds.
    http://www.exomotion.com/th_exomotio...112&Itemid=156

I think with this seat it does harness, but if I remember correctly, you may need to use the vehicle's lap/shoulder belt with the harness. But I'm not 100% sure on that. It would be something to ask about.
    You are correct. The harness is for positioning only, and the seat performs as a high back booster.

How much muscle tone the child has, how much seated support he needs, and his mobility level should all be considered when choosing a seat for him. If he is non-ambulatory, there are wheel chair transport options that the parents may want to consider as he gets heavier and harder to transfer.
    Last edited by safeinthecar; 09-20-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typo
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

CPS Technician

I'd add the Tomato or the Columbia seat to the consideration.

http://www.adaptivemall.com/safetycarseats1.html

Two of my special needs friends (both 10 yr olds) have the Tomato and have been very happy with it.

cons: It is a heavy thing and requires heavy duty tether after a certain weight (50-60 lbs, IIRC).

pros: It is airline approved. Can be used as a positioning/booster seat by attaching it to a regular chair. Both features are handy for travel (even if it's just to homes that aren't w/c accessible).

AND I second the suggestion to look into a customized van, depending upon the child's need for positioning and support and his ability to assist with transfers in/out of a vehicle.

While travel in a seat is safer than in a WC, once a child reaches a certain height/weight, transferring between the two is very hard on caregivers.