What vehicle for 3 rear facing seats + parents + elderly grandparent??

diaperjoys

My friend has a special needs rear facing toddler (can't get in seat by herself), and is adopting two more little ones who will both need to rear face. In addition, they care for their grandpa who will need an easy transfer into the vehicle.

What vehicle can do this? Loading in and out of a back hatch is probably not a good option, since there will be strollers/wheelchair/walker equipment needing stowage.

Any ideas??

(moderators...not sure where to post this; please move if need be)

ADS

zeo2ski

The elderly parent could ride in the front passenger seat so probably any vehicle can work for that.

Anything with 3 rows will fit them all--2 car seats in the middle row, 1 in the 3rd row center and the non-driver parent can sit in the 3rd row and see everyone.

The problem I see with this situation will be the gear. I'm guessing all 3 kiddos will be in a stroller or carrier which means a double or triple stroller has to fit in the back AND the wheelchair/walker. What vehicle do they have now? What stroller(s) do they have/plan to have?

What kind of price range? Really, anything with a 3rd row is going to be fine as long as they can get the gear in or on the roof or on a hitch mounted carrier.

lpperry

We looked into large vehicles because we need the third row, but we also need a large cargo area because we need to get a stroller, luggage, huge dog back there.

I've been to an auto show for the past few years and have checked out all the SUVs and minivans. Unfortunately, I found that most of the SUV's had very little cargo room if the 3rd row was in use. Also, a lot of the SUV's had horrible 3rd row seats--fine for a carseat, but not good for an adult passenger.

The Honda Pilot, Mazda CX9 had good 3rd row seats, but no good storage room. All of the other SUVs about that size had bad 3rd row seats (like the Suburu Tribeca, Toyota Highlander).

I wouldn't suggest the Pilot or the CX9 even with the good third row seats because with the 3rd row up, neither have cargo space.

If they want an SUV, they'd have to look into something big like a Suburban, Toyota Sequioa, or a Chevy Tahoe.

Really though, they would be best off with a minivan. It would be a lot easier to utilize the 3rd row. And if they are really looking for ease of getting into the 3rd row, the bench seats are better than the captains chairs (or something like the Honda Odyssey, where you can scoot one captain chair into the middle).

My vote would be the Honda Odyssey! The Toyota Sienna would be a good choice too.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
How easy is it for grandpa to get in and out of a vehicle? My grandparents do better getting out of a minivan over a car, jeep or suburban.

I agree that a minivan with a bench 2nd row would probably work best. With LATCH in the 2nd row. Put 2 rf in the 2nd row and othe drivers side 3rd row. Extra parent can sit passenger side 3rd row and have tons of leg room.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I am thinking an 8 passenger sienna. 2 rf in the middle row, and you can flip and fold the other seat to get to the third row, 1 rf back there, then 2 people (or 1 person). Loads of storage because of the floor. Here is a pic:)

duotrunk.jpg

duotrunk5.jpg

zeo2ski

And if they need even more cargo room than that, the suburban has about double that (or a little more than double). I don't have a loaded pic, but I put my 31" double jogger in there the opposite way, so it's against the side window rather than against the back of the seat and it fit's with room to spare.

It is higher to get into than a van. My 86 year old grandparents are able to get in the front seat, but it's more effort than getting into their Saturn Vue. The thing they like is not having to get UP again to get out!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC