Weight of booster issues?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I was going to get AJ a booster at tax time. He really wants an Oobr, but I read it's super heavy and probably is best used w/ LATCH. Unless I turn Ilana ffing then, there will be no spot for LATCH for his booster. I think the Monterey is really heavy too? Is anyone worried about the weight of the booster behind the child in a crash? Should I just use the GN as a booster and keep it tethered? Any other suggestions? We tried the Vivo and it was nice, but AJ was not impressed. He'd get used to it though. Thoughts?

ADS

all together ooky

The weight of a booster definitely bothers me. To me (and this hasn't been founded) the weight would add to the force put on the child in an accident. Personally, if the booster can't be LATCHed I want it to be light weight. I'm not really up on which boosters would work (we have a Vivo but haven't used it much yet).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Parkway? Maxi Cosi Rodi? (short in the back, but aren't your kids short in the torso? it's at least as tall as a Turbo, and the EU side crash tests look impressive). Those are both lighter seats, I think.

I might say out loud that I don't think booster weight matters, but my car has always been filled with latched or tethered boosters--or really light and unconnected boosters--so hmmm....

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Thanks. We'll see I guess. I just feel bad. He sooooo wanted the Skurvy pattern, there are just no 'cool' boosters out there and he found one he'd be really happy w/ and I said he could have it, but now I'm reconsidering. I hate turning Ilana ffing too just so AJ can have her LATCH spot. :( She'd easily rf till 5 I bet, especially w/ our XT now. I'll look at the Parkway, we at least have that locally.

emandbri

Maybe wait for the cybex X-fix

I am having a hard time finding pictures of kids in it but the lap belt looks lower than the oobr.

here is a picture I found online

http://www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-...7_1253220466_8cad3856c01241a75f62c4560b04e3e4

I haven't seen an oobr yet but I even though the monterey is sturdy I don't think it is as heavy. I had no concerns about using it when not latched and it seems like others are worried about the oobr when not latched.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'm assuming that's supposed to be coming to the US? When? You were o.k. w/ the Monterey w/ no LATCH? Hmmmm. We just have crap as far as boosters go here. It's the Parkway and that's it. I'm wondering if they'll get the Oobr here though.

obamamama

I bought my Monterey, ahem, Liberty's Monterey this week. I don't have LATCH in either car, so I have to just seatbelt it. I thought that part of the safety of a booster is to combine with the weight of the child to create the weight needed to allow the seatbelt to lock in a collision. I don't see anything in the manual saying it HAS to be LATCHed, is that correct?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No, the Monterey doesn't have to be LATCHed in (nor do the other boosters that are LATCHable). The seatbelt will lock in a crash either way. :) The Sunshine Kids engineer indicated during an online continuing education chat hosted on car-seat.org last year that the primary purpose of LATCHing the Monterey is to keep it from being a loose projectile in the car when the booster isn't occupied, and that it wasn't significantly safer to be LATCHed in terms of crash performance when occupied. The chat transcript is archived in the Articles section of the forum at: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=40794

Buckling an unoccupied booster in with the seatbelt would serve the same purpose in a non-LATCH equipped position in the car. I just got a Monterey for DD1 this week and prefer to use it a LATCH-equipped position in our vehicles because I'm sure we would forget to buckle it in when it's unoccupied at some point, and it also seems nicely secure when LATCHed compared to our unLATCHable Parkway that can be tippy.

emandbri

I'm assuming that's supposed to be coming to the US? When? You were o.k. w/ the Monterey w/ no LATCH?

Supposed to be out early 2010. They really do look cool! The first thread posted about them had a cool video that had some crash test videos.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=82794&highlight=cybex&page=2

They might be expensive though. I calculated how much they were in UK in US dollars and they were $170 to $270.

Here is a crash test video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WfDdACxSjA&NR=1"]YouTube - CYBEX Solution X crash video[/ame]

The dummy does move quite a bit to the side at the end but that could be normal, I don't know.

We don't know how the monterey does after impact since the video is cut short

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlI7FI9xBww"]YouTube - Sunshine Kids Monterey Booster Seat Side-Impact Crash Test[/ame]

here is a romer video that is cut a bit shorter than the cybex but longer than the monterey and it looks like the dummy would keep going like the one in the cybex video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvqy98O3MDQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Crashtest of Romer Kid 2-3[/ame]

These could all be meaningless though since we don't know the size of the dummies or speed of the crash. The variables could be completely different and so looking at them side by side might mean nothing at all. The dummy on the monterey looks wider in the shoulders but I am also wondering if the video is squished a bit.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC