Are additional local fees normal for certification?

TheNimpsGirl

So I think that in the near future I would like to be a tech. I don't know when that will happen due to varouis logistics (DS being little, DH going back to school, etc) but I've been thinking more and more about it.

Thinking more and more about it I started looking at the courses in my area and they all have additional local fees. Is this normal? The lowest is $20 and the highest is $125, which of course happens to be the only one near me :rolleyes: The course fee alone, which aparently recently went up to $75 is a good chunk of change already but then another fee plus gas and depending on where it is a hotel room for that many nights, is getting expensive. I just wanna know if I should just expect this though no matter where the course is because if so I'm gonna have to save up slowly for it.

Also, they have three coming up within the next two months and then none till next summer time. Is it normal to have hardly any courses to begin with and then so far between? I have been in contact with a local instructer who is woooonderful and has helped me with some questions so I suppose I could always contact her and see if she has any insight, but I was just wondering.

Thanks!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
All the ones around me are free, other than the normal Safe Kids charge. Someone tried to charge, but it failed miserably.

TheNimpsGirl

That seems great to me, but in Los Angeles the only one near me is $900. :mad:

:eek: Holy cow!

And hmm to the fees. I guess I didn't expect them was all. It may just have to wait a bit longer then because we're trying to save up for a house and saving on top for something else takes use farther away from that. Oh well, I'll just keep my eyes open for them and hope it works out eventually. Thanks!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
around here it is not the norm to charge extra fees....when i was looking, i did come across one, but dismissed it out of hand due the fees.

NVMBR02

Around here there is usually a local fee of $60-$90. I was able to find one without the local fees though, that was offered yearly.

celtic1885

The one I took only had the SK fees, but I think it depends on whether the "group" doing the testing has grants to subsidize the classes. $900 is crazy!

As for the frequency - that is a total hit or miss. I live in the Dallas metrolplex - there is nothing scheduled around here at least through December. HOWEVER! I would check the website for classes regularly. The one I went to hadn't been on there for months and showed up a month or two before the actual class. I think sometimes, again, it's a matter of funding and "need". The Dallas area's tend to show up unexpectedly which is why when I was looking for a class I checked 2 times a day, in the morning and at night. Also make sure to check the option for controlled classes - mine was a controlled class but the instructor let me have a spot.

Good luck!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My class didn't have local fees, but it's not at all uncommon. Like someone said, it depends on how the organization funds the training. Given the current state of the economy, I would imagine there will be fewer classes and higher fees.

Definitely keep checking the website. Out here classes aren't often added until a month or two out.

As to the $900 LA class (plus SafeKids fee), they do offer a scholarship. It still winds up being like $400 or $500 though. The plus side is that the instructors are absolutely up-to-date on everything and are huge proponents of ERF and EH. (It's through SafetyBeltSafe.)

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
the ones by me never have local fees, but this week they are having a class a little more in the middle of nowhere than usual and are charging $40 in "local fees" so they feed everyone decent food for the week...since leaving for lunch would take a while.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It depends on the area and how much funding they can get. My class got some funding and charged a $100 additional fee. Most of that went to supplies (everything from food for breakfast for the class and water bottles to post-it notes to pens to notebooks for our manuals to photocopies to the LATCH manuals we were given to supplies for the check event.)

There's a class sometimes given in the L.A. area that charges a $900 local fee. (They have no underwriting whatsoever.)

Nisha

Ask them if they can waive the local fee! That's what I did, because I'm a SAHM and couldn't afford to do it on my own.
The local fee covered the meals and things like that, IIRC.

Also, the 2 closest Safe Kids Colations to me split the rest of my certification fee, as long as I committed to helping them out whenever I could, which of course is why I got certified in the first place!

jodibug

Mine was just the $60 SK fee, but then the local coalition reimbursed me for agreeing to work events with them.

So the class was nothing, just gas to drive an hour each way for four days.

And a week of my vacation time at work.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
As to the $900 LA class (plus SafeKids fee), they do offer a scholarship. It still winds up being like $400 or $500 though. The plus side is that the instructors are absolutely up-to-date on everything and are huge proponents of ERF and EH. (It's through SafetyBeltSafe.)

:thumbsup: You won't get a better CPS training than through these instructors. They're the ones who developed the 5-step test, created the color pictorial, issue the manufacturers' instructions CD every other year, have the technical encyclopedia on their web site, etc. I believe in addition to the scholarship, the fee is forgiven if you work checkup events for them.

We sometimes charge a fee for our classes, sometimes not. When we charge, we offer more than coffee for breakfast (someone will bring bagels/pastries and other snacks) and we'll buy a lunch or two. That $60 really doesn't go very far. We actually get more complaints on our evals when we provide food, so we try not to go there, even though we think we're providing a service.

scoutingbear

That seems great to me, but in Los Angeles the only one near me is $900. :mad:

And this is precisely the reason that here I sit...waiting for a semi close one to come up that isn't that particular one. :( I just don't have an extra $950 laying around!

ETA: Okay...so now I've read the other posts. Scholarship? Hmmm...helps a bit. Waiving the fee would be better. :whistle: We could sure use someone where I work!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I believe in addition to the scholarship, the fee is forgiven if you work checkup events for them.

I think the deal with the scholarship is that it gets reduced to $4/500, but in return you have to work X number of events. I don't think it's possible to have the whole amount waived.

If I weren't already certified, I would scrape up the $400 or $500 just to get certified with them. (I don't say that based on hearsay. I've done work with the organization and they really are the best.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC