Can I tether an outboard seat in the 3rd row of an '05 Honda Odyssey?

granolamama

I've asked this before, but it got buried in other threads. My 2005 Odyssey has top tether latches only in the 2nd row outboard seats, and 3rd row center. Because I have 4 kids back there, I don't think I could put most seats in the center and still fit the other kids. So, can I put a FF harnessed seat 3rd row outboard, and tether it in the center, or is that a bad idea? I'm not doing this currently, but wanted to know for future reference. I read on the Odyclub board that the '05 cannot have more top tether latches put in, but the '06 can?? Right now I have a 3yo in a Regent and an almost 12yo in the 2nd row captain's chairs, and a 6yo and a 9yo both in high-backed boosters in the 3rd row.

Also, is it possible to have top tethers added to a 1992 Dodge Dakota pickup truck? My 3 oldest occasionally ride in that with their dad, the 9yo and 6yo in their BPBs (only one at a time, since it's only a 3-seater, and the center is lap belt only). I know you can't tether most BPBs, but I'd like to know for future reference.

Thanks,
Helen

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately, Honda decontented the Odyssey in 2005. They added the 3rd row outboard tether anchors again in 2006. Also: http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

My LATCH manual says the 1988-1999 Dakota can have 2 anchor points adde on the back wall for the passenger side and center seats. You will need to ask your dealer. One install should be free per Chrysler service bulletin 23-08-00 Rev. A. The part number should be 05014765AA.

R

Rennphile

I have an '05 Odyssey and the issue of no outboard tether anchors is a real bother given that I will soon have 4 children under the age of 5. I know one option is to switch my oldest to a booster seat, however I have a Britax Marathon for him and I'm inclined to believe that a 5 point harness is safer than using the 3 point belt. In reading the Britax user manuals they seem to support this view as well.

Is there really no workaround to this problem?

Also, can anyone comment on the (lack of?) prudence in using the tether anchor for the center seat in the 3rd row for one of the outboard seats?

Thanks in advance.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Using an anchor from an adjacent seating position is not ideal and would offer less protection. Even so, it is probably better than using no tether at all in most cases. You would have to consult your vehicle and carseat owner's manuals for guidance to see if there are any warnings in doing so.

What you should never do is to attach more than one top tether to the same anchor.

R

Rennphile

Using an anchor from an adjacent seating position is not ideal and would offer less protection. Even so, it is probably better than using no tether at all in most cases. You would have to consult your vehicle and carseat owner's manuals for guidance to see if there are any warnings in doing so.

What you should never do is to attach more than one top tether to the same anchor.

Thanks Darren. In this case, I would have two forward facing carseats in the 3rd row and would like to tether them both so I may be stuck.

It amazes me that Honda would provide for 3 tether anchors for the 3rd row in the 2nd generation Odyssey as well as the '06 and beyond yet the '05 only has one.

Anyone else have any other suggestions? Thanks so much!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It is possible to install custom tether anchors in many vehicles. If you or a friend/relative are comfortable drilling into the vehicle sheet metal and installing an anchor system, you can purchase third party anchor hardware and do it yourself. You may also be able to find a mechanic to do this. I can provide more information if this turns out to be the best solution for you.ft

KsJET

It is possible to install custom tether anchors in many vehicles. If you or a friend/relative are comfortable drilling into the vehicle sheet metal and installing an anchor system, you can purchase third party anchor hardware and do it yourself. You may also be able to find a mechanic to do this. I can provide more information if this turns out to be the best solution for you.ft

I have the exact same problem in my '05 Town & Country and would love info on adding another anchor point in the 3rd row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC