Question Need help with DOM concerns on a new purchase

Elizabeths_Daddy

We purchased a Recaro Como from Diapers.com last week for my Wives Jeep and DD loved the seat. It has a DOM of 05 20 09. Since we had such a great experience with Diapers.com and Elizabeth loved her new seat so much we decided to order a second seat at the $145 closeout price for my truck. The second seat arrived today with a DOM of 07-09-07. This means that this seat only has ~4 years left till it expires.

I called Diapers.com to see what our options are if we decided to return the seat due to its age. The CS representative said she would have to call Recaro tomorrow to determine what could be done about the age of the seat. She should be returning my call tomorrow afternoon.

My DD is 2y 5m old, she weights 28lbs., stands 36 inches. I do not know her torso measurements.

Now on to the questions: With all of this said do you think she will out grow this seat before the Expiration date in 2013? Should I consider keeping this seat if that is my only option? Has anyone dealt with Diapers.com or Recaro regarding a similar situation, if so what should we expect?

Thanks Eric

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Her shoulders and legs will probably be uncomfortable by the time she approaches 5.5 years old. My very petite 5 year old was snug in the shoulders when we tried out the Como, and she was already past the normal leg support. She had to put her legs out to the side to get additional support.

A regular priced Como is $250. If you divide that by 72 (number of usable months), and then multiple it by what you have left on that seat, $145 is a great price for the remainder of the time.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It is very unlikely that a 6.5yo would still be comfortable in a Como.

Closeout prices often come with older DOMs. The price you got seems fair to me. Since you like the seat, I'd consider keeping it.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
For the price we paid its a solid seat that DD loves.

Well, that's what counts. Sometimes we can drive ourselves crazy wondering if there's a better deal out there, or if the price per usable month is a penny or two higher. If you can afford the seat, you're all happy with it, and you (well, she) will outgrow it before it expires, you're good. IMnsHO, of course. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC