2 MAs on plane?

Mommy090804

Gosh, it's been a really long time since I've been on, and I have a lot of "catch-up" reading to do. I do have a question that I need help with. We are booking a vacation, and I need help with seating arrangements.

I have almost always used carseats on the plane, with the exception of using the CAReS harnesses last February for both kids. This time we are flying a 3-3 configuration for the four members of our family. I was going to tell the travel agent to book us 3-1 in the same aisle, however I am not sure what we are doing for carseats.

DD will be 5.5 during the trip, and still rides in her MA. She has flown in a carseat as recently as a month ago with no problems. We will be renting a car at our destination.

DS will be 3.5 and is quite small (still RFs). I was planning on taking their MAs like we always do, since they are so easy to install in rental cars, and we have done it on planes and cars soooo many times.

However, where do I sit the kids on the plane?

Three options that I can think of:

1. Sit all in one aisle, with DS by the window. However, I am pretty sure that the two MAs would not install beside each other.

2. Put DS by the window, and have DD sit in a lab belt. What do I do with her MA?

3. Sit in the same row, but two of us on each side by the window. Not really an option because it puts both of us adults in the middle seat next to another adult, which can be very uncomfortable for a six hour flight.

4. Bring a MA and a Radian, and have the two kids sit beside each other. Risk having problems convincing the FA that we are allowed to have two seats beside each other. Also risk convincing the FA that DD can sit in a seat. She is currently approaching the 40lb mark. At least we could put the Radian in the overhead bin if there was a fuss. We would also have to install the Radian in a rental car, which we have never done.

It looks like 4 might be our only option. Does anyone else have any other ideas or comments? Will DD be able to sit in a carseat on the airplane? It is so much more comfortable for her, especially when she falls asleep.

We have to bring two carseats because of the rental car, and will not gate check a carseat.

Thanks so much for your input and help. I need to book the airline tickets tomorrow.

ADS

Jan06twinmom

Shelley -

The best solution we've found is for DH and I to sit in separate rows - one in front of the other. We put the kids next to the window with our DS who was ff in a Radian in front and our DD who was rf in a Decathlon behind DS. Then we also didn't have the issue of someone trying to recline the seat into a rf car seat. That means DH and I were sitting in the middle seat. We found that we could hand things back and forth pretty easily.

We've had other flights where we were in the same row and that didn't work as well for us. We had both kids by the windows and DH and I were in the center seats. But then we had people in the aisle seats next to us. Every time we needed to communicate or pass something back and forth, we had two other people and the aisle to deal with!

Here's the FAA info. Look at p. 13, #19 for some info about car seat location.

HTH

Melanie

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Here's the FAA info. :)

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

I agree, I'd put one child and parent in front of the other. And book the aisle and window seats when you arrange your travel. The middle is the last to fill up, and you may get three seats for two people. And if not, NO ONE is going to be upset about not being in the middle seat. And yeah, get used to the middle seat. Piper rode in a seat on a plane for 6.5 years (they don't weigh them and the Radian is FAA approved to 65 pounds, so it's not like they could do anything to you anyway about it) and the middle doesn't phase me anymore. Not for any length trip. Heck, I flew from Cincinnati (or was it Cleveland?) to Seattle in the middle with Piper at the window and our four cats in two carriers underneath the seats in front of us. Pregnant. And believe you me, the middle seat wasn't a concern. You just get used to it.

With our newest coming any day now, and our first trip planned for December with her (cross country), we'll be doing Nathan and Piper in the row in front of us and the baby and me behind them. We're flying at the holidays, so we won't get an empty seat between us, but you can believe I'm going to try!!

Wendy

Mommy090804

Thank you both for your input. I do have printed copies of the documentation.

Just to clarify - according to the FAA regulations, you are allowed to have two carseats in the same row as long as the adult has access to both children.

As well, my 40lb 5.5 year old is allowed to sit in a carseat on the plane as long as she is within the weight and height limit of the carseat, or does it depend on the airline (US carriers)?

I am still not sure if I am going to bring a Radian. I do love the fact that she would be able to use the tray table on the plane. As far as installing it FFing with LATCH in a rental car - it shouldn't be that difficult.

I may try to book the aisle and window seats. It's DH that dislikes sitting next to another adult when he is in the middle beside a carseat. I am pretty small so it's not usually a big deal. The last time he sat beside a very large gentleman who started drinking rye very early into the flight and didn't smell so good by the time we arrived. However, that doesn't compare to Wendy's experience with four cats! (I've been away a while and just remember you announcing your pregnancy - best of luck this next week or so!)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thank you both for your input. I do have printed copies of the documentation.

Just to clarify - according to the FAA regulations, you are allowed to have two carseats in the same row as long as the adult has access to both children.

As well, my 40lb 5.5 year old is allowed to sit in a carseat on the plane as long as she is within the weight and height limit of the carseat, or does it depend on the airline (US carriers)?

You're absolutely correct on both. If they state it's the airline policy, ask politely to see their manual where it says that so that way you've seen documentation on both and you know better for the future. They'll educate themselves in the process. I would put the rear facing child by the window and the Radian in the middle if they're together.

They may ask to see the stickers on the seats that state they're FAA approved (it'll be on the outside of the seat, in red writing saying, "This restraint is approved for use in motor vehicles and aircraft." Know where that is, in case they ask, as they are justified in looking for it. Then know where the weight limits are listed, in case they do fuss about weights. But they shouldn't. Not in the US. The seats are FAA approved to be used to their limits.

I am still not sure if I am going to bring a Radian. I do love the fact that she would be able to use the tray table on the plane. As far as installing it FFing with LATCH in a rental car - it shouldn't be that difficult.

I've gotten the Radian in some odd cars (Japanese market Honda Civic with no LATCH or even tethers, Chinese Volkswagen Santana taxi cab front seat locking clip install). American cars with LATCH, other than the Lincoln Towncar, are generally a breeze. Just don't get a Honda, Acura, Saab, Mercedes, or Porsche as they have 40 or 39 pound LATCH limits. Most rental places do American cars, which are pretty good on LATCH positioning and weight limits in the back, so it's generally not a concern.

I may try to book the aisle and window seats. It's DH that dislikes sitting next to another adult when he is in the middle beside a carseat. I am pretty small so it's not usually a big deal. The last time he sat beside a very large gentleman who started drinking rye very early into the flight and didn't smell so good by the time we arrived. However, that doesn't compare to Wendy's experience with four cats! (I've been away a while and just remember you announcing your pregnancy - best of luck this next week or so!)

Ewwwwwwww. There are always downsides. If you're traveling at off hours or days, booking the aisle and window may save you the hassle of sitting next to someone at all, which would be nice. :) And remember, the Rye Guy, and my four cats, make for a great story later. It's just a few hours, even a cross country trip, and it'll be over soon. Then the story lasts forever. :)

And thanks! Hopefully soon.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC