Went to my first seat check today.

Vanessa618

I live in a very rural area and this is the first time I have ever saw a seat check offered, so I decided to check it out. I just got my True Fit from woot.com on Friday so I installed it and went to the check.

The tech did not ask to see DS harnessed in the seat. (I had to get out of my car and go to her car and fill out a form before she came to look at my seat) Okay, not sure if techs usually check for that.

She pulled at the top of the seat and at the belt path and said that it was installed tighter than she could've done herself. That's pretty much all she checked. She didn't lift the cover and check the routing or anything.

She seemed most concerned about looking in my car manual to see if it said "where the safest place was to install a child seat". :confused: (It is installed in the middle) She was also apparantly intrigued by the fact that my manual says that my seatbelts can be either ALR or ELR. Ummm, okay.

She did not ask to look at the car seat manual even though I told her I had it. She didn't know what kind of seat it was so I'm sure she's never installed one.

Overall, I wasn't impressed.

ETA: Oh yeah and she had on the grossest perfume ever and its STILL lingering in my car. LoL

ADS

NannyMom

Was she the only tech there? Was it a Safe Kids Seat Check? She sounds.... uh.... not fully educated :rolleyes:

Vanessa618

Was she the only tech there? Was it a Safe Kids Seat Check? She sounds.... uh.... not fully educated :rolleyes:

She was the only tech there. I don't know if it was safe kids or not. I didn't see that anywhere on anything. She just had on a red shirt that said "Child Passenger Safety Technician". So....I doubt it....

Vanessa618

Bad. Very Bad. You didn't happen to get her name or anything did you? Where was the check at?

I only know her first name was Jody. She did say she was new, but I mean c'mon I would've thought she at least should've checked the routing or something. The check was at National Kids Day event in North Central WV.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
<reminding self not to wear lots of perfume to next seat check>
:thumbsup:

Were they, like, really busy or something? Not that that would be an excuse for such a minimal appointment, but it might explain it :confused:

I guess you just need to get certified ;)

Vanessa618

<reminding self not to wear lots of perfume to next seat check>
:thumbsup:

Were they, like, really busy or something? Not that that would be an excuse for such a minimal appointment, but it might explain it :confused:

I guess you just need to get certified ;)

She wasn't busy at all. I only saw her check 1 other seat in the 2.5 hours I was there. (Let's just say people around here often are not even concerned with seatbelts, let alone carseat. I see A LOT of Tshields and really old car seats being used. I can't be certain of course that they are expired, but I would venture a guess that 90% of them are. :( ) When I approached her she was just sitting in the passenger seat of her car reading. I would love to get certified, I just don't know if there are ever any classes anywhere remotely near me. I live in BFE. LoL I'm hoping to when we move back to FL though after I finish nursing school where I hope to eventually make it to an OB floor. Anyways, I've read the manual front to back on all of my seats a couple of times and I'm pretty confident in my installs, but I still wouldn't pass up a check, haha. If anything, at least maybe she corrected some loose installs today.

ETA: At least she didn't have B.O. haha

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah well, some people just don't have the fire in the belly like we do. I'm sure she DID help some other folks today, but it's hard for 'us' to imagine not being all over an exciting new seat, huh? (or, well, doing a proper seat check routine...but if she was new, she's probably still kind of overwhelmed...I made some humdingers of mistakes my first few checks...)

Yep, better perfume than B.O. LOL!

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Yep, she's really a tech. Or well I should say there is a tech in WV named Jodi. Safekids has her profile. What a disappointing excuse for a check though. If she was new she should have had a senior tech there with her. I know I have to have a senior checker sign off on everything I do, even though I'm usually more knowlegdable than they are.:rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC