News Have you seen the newest AOE's? Base NOT removeable!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I kept looking at the new AOE's at BRU and wondering what seemed different about them...sure enough, the bases are slimmer at the back, not as hulking and flat as they were. So a tall fellow was testing out the install today RF and saying how he doesn't fit in front of the seat, needed something small...I was like, "Oh, the base pops right off, it makes it take up much less space...let me show you..." <flip seat upside down, look for the metal pin and plastic tab...find nothing> "Hmm..maybe not...lemme read the manual..." (I know this is hard to picture, a BRU employee reading a manual :whistle:). But anyway, sure enough, it doesn't come off, not even for booster mode.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3697398

Anyway, just had to share my discovery, sorry if someone else has already reported on it (these models have been out for a couple weeks now, the pink one has mesh on the flowery part, the black one is a plaid flat 'cotton' in the middle).

ADS

NannyMom

Ohhh.... I didn't know that. I think the pic makes the seat look kinda pretty. But when I saw it IRL I thought it was awful. :eek: I wonder why they changed the base.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Interesting.

I wonder if it's to improve the lap belt fit as a booster. (I know that was a suggested improvement-- not solution, but improvement-- on carseatblog when we talked about booster fit in the AOE.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Aside from the base making it a major pain to install in so many cars, yeah, I was remembering how it fit better in booster mode with the base on in Kecia's demo. This is a great way to make it even easier for people to use :). I just wish the armrests were optional, that really kills it for 3-across.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Yes, but I know the #1 suggestion when people have trouble installing the seat rear facing is to take off the base. That may make it not recommended at all in my book, kwim? Although, I don't have ANY experience with it, so I go by word of mouth.

Splash

But if the base has changed it might not make a difference in RF install anymore... the seat might be easier to install. Odd that they would change that, though.
But I do wish they'd kill the armrests. I loved that the CA had no armrests.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I like that they changed it. It's confusing to parents to have to take it off to use it as a booster and not be able to take the one off the Summitt etc.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, it's a lot slimmer and more workable than the hulking old base, it might be quite easy to install, not requiring noodles and whatnot. I'm sure we'll start getting reports back from seat checks soon enough :)

Mommy0608

I actually had one of those new-fangled bases at the check event I did Saturday. I didn't know they had those new bases prior to that, so I was a little surprised! It arrived FF for a 1 year old, barely 20lb kid so I had them turn it back RF. I installed it once myself, then had the caregiver install it... we didn't have any problems with it RF, but we did need a noodle (she had very slanted seats). The narrower footprint made the installation much easier than it was with the older, bigger bases. :thumbsup:

oxeye

I had two of the new ones at the check I did yesterday (twins in the same vehicle). Honestly, it was the first RF AO install I've done so I can't even compare it to the old base!!

I wouldn't say it was an easy install, but it wasn't terrible. No noodles needed but the seats ended up around 35 degrees I'd guess. The twins were 10 months old so it was fine.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I actually had one of those new-fangled bases at the check event I did Saturday. I didn't know they had those new bases prior to that, so I was a little surprised! It arrived FF for a 1 year old, barely 20lb kid so I had them turn it back RF. I installed it once myself, then had the caregiver install it... we didn't have any problems with it RF, but we did need a noodle (she had very slanted seats). The narrower footprint made the installation much easier than it was with the older, bigger bases. :thumbsup:

the new ones still have a 22 lb ffing limit, right? not 20?

Mommy2Marcus

I actually really liked my old style AOE......:whistle: :duck: The only thing I didn't like was how soon it was outgrown. Other than that I was happy with it.

I also can not remember having trouble installing it with the base. I never took the base off & I always got an install with less then 1 inch of movement with it. I also mostly used it RF to. So......Who knows. I also had a Safety 1st 3 in 1 that I used with the base one. I installed both in several different cars RF & FF without any trouble.

However I do like the looks of the new ones to. Maybe that will make it better for installing for those that had trouble.

medicmama

CPS Technician
I like that they changed it. It's confusing to parents to have to take it off to use it as a booster and not be able to take the one off the Summitt etc.

I have only done a few installs (new tech) but I think AOE is the swear word of all seats! I had one family that couldn't install the seat(aoe with base) with latch in a new 09 honda oddesy. they took the latch strap from a infant seat and latched it that way.

After I showed them you could take the base off the latch fit with a tight install.

The summit one is the evenflo/eddie bauer one right? That one I looked at and you can't get the base off. not a fantastic fit in the mazda 6 a friend has.
darn thing slides around a bit even with proper installation.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The summit one is the evenflo/eddie bauer one right? That one I looked at and you can't get the base off. not a fantastic fit in the mazda 6 a friend has.
darn thing slides around a bit even with proper installation.

The Summit is by Dorel. Not Evenflo.

tjham

I kept looking at the new AOE's at BRU and wondering what seemed different about them...sure enough, the bases are slimmer at the back, not as hulking and flat as they were. So a tall fellow was testing out the install today RF and saying how he doesn't fit in front of the seat, needed something small...I was like, "Oh, the base pops right off, it makes it take up much less space...let me show you..." <flip seat upside down, look for the metal pin and plastic tab...find nothing> "Hmm..maybe not...lemme read the manual..." (I know this is hard to picture, a BRU employee reading a manual :whistle:). But anyway, sure enough, it doesn't come off, not even for booster mode.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3697398

Interesting! The removable base was one of the only things I LIKED about the AO! I wish the Britax seats had a removable base!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The new base is so low profile, I actually thought it was off the seat one day. Took me a few looks to realize what I was seeing! I really don't think it's going to be a problem that it's not removable, since it's just so much better than that wide obnoxious thing it once was.

Right, the Summit is Eddie Bauer (Dorel), and the base is *even bigger* and not removable. That's one seat that just needs to GO. NOW. The incompatibility with so many cars, the non-usable top slot (that remains unmarked so parents inevitably keep using it, putting their children in peril), and the horrible booster fit (boo on consumer reports for recommending this seat 'without reservation' years ago :thumbsdown:).

I guess I'm a tad irked that they didn't change the lapbelt cutouts on the new AOE's...if you're going to change one detail, why not two? (then it would install better, be less confusing, AND make a somewhat decent booster). Oh well, I ask for the world :rolleyes:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I JUST read a Summit manual (one with the new cover, relabeled and everything) front to back and it said nothing about not using the top slots. Might be worth a call to Dorel to see if they changed that.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, phooey, that means my hopes of it being discontinued or relabeled to 50 pounds are shot to heck :mad::thumbsdown: (It's never had the warning on the seat itself, and the models we have at BRU are a couple years old...is the new manual online or where did you see it?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC