Re: Infant seats on Shopping Carts

Lucy_R

I was just thinking, what if someone has twins? My husband's boss and his wife have 5 month old twins, and I've seen her shopping, and there is one carseat in the cart, and one on top. How else would you do it? I can't having twins and two other kids(they have two older dd's)and fussing with a sling or anything.

ADS

ErinGoBragh

Twins in a stroller and groceries in a cart. I can't imagine that she can fit very many groceries in a cart with both seats.

Evolily

One twin in a baby carrier, other twin in the seat in the cart.

danivdp

I don't shop with kids. Leave 'em at home. A babysitter is totally worth the $$ to get my shopping done in peace.

aisraeltax

i would wear one on front and one on back...after 3 months. first 3 months, i would send dh to the food store.

Maedze

i would wear one on front and one on back...after 3 months. first 3 months, i would send dh to the food store.

Eh, I tried that maneuver once. It was not practical, or doable in any way, shape or form. Barely got across the parking lot before I had to turn back. Ouch :eek:

aisraeltax

Eh, I tried that maneuver once. It was not practical, or doable in any way, shape or form. Barely got across the parking lot before I had to turn back. Ouch :eek:

i do it with an Ergo and a Beco all the time with my 2. but i have been doing it for a few years so maybe im just used to it. its the most practical thing for me.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

I was just thinking, what if someone has twins? My husband's boss and his wife have 5 month old twins, and I've seen her shopping, and there is one carseat in the cart, and one on top. How else would you do it? I can't having twins and two other kids(they have two older dd's)and fussing with a sling or anything.

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, so I want to point out that it is NOT safe to put an infant seat on top of a cart. They are not designed for it, and it is not at all uncommon for kids to fall out of the seat or for the seat to fall off the cart.

If you use an infant seat with a cart, the seat should go in the basket part. With twins, that probably wouldn't work.

I either just wouldn't shop, or would use a sling/etc for one and put the other IN (not ON) the cart, or use a stroller and just grab a few items.

xxluckychicxx

What I do with my 2 (not twins, but close in age) is put them in a double stroller and pull the cart. Works wonders :thumbsup: Its really not hard to manuver and both kids are strapped down better and more comfortable than in the cart anyways.

monstah

DS (almost 4) usually sits in the main basket or walks. DD1 (almost 2) gets the seat. Then DD2 gets put into a baby carrier.
It's not twins, but we still have the same problem, no where to put the baby while shopping. Even when we are alone, I never put the baby on top of the cart.
:thumbsup:

Blondie87

I pretty much have twins right nows... 3 weeks apart. They are also older (14 & 15 months) but I put one in my Moby and one in the cart.

If DH is with me, he either has his own cart with a kid or holds A, since she wouldn't last long in the cart anyways.

A backpack carrier would be alot easier for her to deal with than a wrap or something, since her babies are infants and she also has older kids. Maybe a Beco, Ergo, or Mei Tai. Then she can put one in the cart and one in the carrier.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician

Definitely wear one, if not both. It's what I do now, with an infant and toddler. But then, I wear a lot, so that's my instinct over anything else. (I HATE carrying the bucket -- went to a convertible around 4 mos -- and have grown to loathe the stroller as well.) I've also been known to take six kids grocery shopping with me, so I think you just learn to do what you have to do... with twin, young infants, I think I'd put one in a sling on my front, and the other in the bucket in the cart. The only other option I can think of would be to take a double stroller and use the basket under it for groceries, which would work for a quick run. (FTR... it's much easier to have babe in a carrier and chase older kids than to have to remain tethered to the cart to make sure the bucket doesn't topple off the top of it... which, incidentally, also makes it hard to get groceries off of the shelf. I tried it once, and have you ever tried to explain to a four year old WHICH box of mac 'n' cheese you want?! LOL!)

aja

i put the twins in our double stroller and hang big ikea shopping bags from the handles. the heavy stuff (soda, milk) goes in the basket under the stroller. i can buy a weeks worth of groceries this way easily. :thumbsup:

eta: i have had my shopping cart tip over in a parking lot (with older kids sitting in it - but no infant carriers) and it was scary. i cannot imagine if i'd had a tiny baby on the top of it.

Last edited:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member

I do have twins, and usually we just do 2 carts. Even when it's just me by myself. Push one cart and pull the other. IIRC, you can fit 2 infant seats sideways in the cart...and then have an empty cart for the groceries. Or one infant seat in each cart if that's what you prefer. We didn't use infant seats for long with the twins since they were 8mo when we got them....and rarely took them out of the car.

Pixels

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, so I want to point out that it is NOT safe to put an infant seat on top of a cart. They are not designed for it, and it is not at all uncommon for kids to fall out of the seat or for the seat to fall off the cart.

I just want to point out that BabyTrend seats ARE designed to be put on top of a cart. It's specifically addressed in the manual.

oxeye

I just want to point out that BabyTrend seats ARE designed to be put on top of a cart. It's specifically addressed in the manual.

I still recommend against it. My first infant seat was a Baby Trend it was absolutely not secure on top of a shopping cart. There is also the issue of the tippiness of the cart with the seat up there.

Just a bad idea overall, IMO.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member

<Shrug> I don't recall our Baby Trend Latch Loc being particularly easy to fit atop of a shopping cart when we tried it out of curiosity, and even if it did hook onto the top seemingly securely, it still makes the cart top heavy to do so. Also, unless you're really tall to see over the infant seat, how would one see to properly steer the cart any way? ;) Seeing as the Baby Trend seats are relatively narrow, fitting one in the main basket is fairly workable. :twocents:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

Seats also allow you to FF a 20 pound, 365 day old child. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC