Seat Check Saturday download!

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
We had a super busy seat check today. The rain was threatening most of the day but held off until the end. It actually made it far cooler and much more pleasant.

I checked a ton of seats and had more tough decisions in one day then I ever like to see. The very first car I had was a mom with 6 kids (luckily only 4 present) in a 5 passeneger suv. Middle seat belt was broken. It was lap only and mom had it rigged with a rope so that it would stay tight. Tough decision. We put the 6 year old (who needed a booster) in the lap only position, oldest was in front. 18ish mos old in a Chase and the 2.5 year old in a hbb.:( Mom swore she was going on Monday to get the center seatbelt fixed but we just could not install a seat there because it just didn't work. Now I'm wondering if a belt shortening clip would have fixed it. Not sure. I wanted to cry about the 2.5 year old in the booster but he was 40+ and we had no hwh available.

I also had a mom with an infant seat with no chest clip. She didn't want to give it up for a new seat so she left in the seat with clip. I encouraged her to get a new one from Graco. The 2 year old came with no seat.

There are just too many kids with no seats. I replaced every seat or provided a new seat to every single child I saw (except the infant). The past 3 seat checks I have done most kids have come through with no seat at all.

Anyone else do a check this weekend?

ADS

oxeye

Wow, those are some major tough choices. :(

I did a check this morning, not nearly as eventful. 3 infant seats and 3 Alpha Omegas. Everyone except 1 was very receptive to ERF which made me thrilled. Two of the AOs came in RF in a truck with a very creative install - using the center LATCH anchors AND the seatbelt anchor. There was no slack in the LATCH strap and we nearly had to cut the strap to get it out. We finally did it with one of us standing in the seat braced against the roof and the other trying to free the LATCH hook. I am still not sure how the parents got it in there!

U

Unregistered1

I had a big day for tough choices. I'll be posting (with pictures!) in CMC or SCM sometime this weekend for privacy reasons. Long story short, we replaced more seats today than I remember ever replacing at an event before... and most of them were not paid for so we were at a huge loss. Very frustrating day. Even had one child drive into the check, car seat in the car, standing up on the back seat. Why even go to a car seat check, buy a car seat at all, if the child isn't going to be in it?! It doesn't protect them just by being in the car. Baffles me.

NannyMom

My Seat Check Saturday will be next week. The county I'll be helping in couldn't do it this week (no idea why). This will be my first community check since being certified 1yr ago (this week!).

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We had a crazy event too. I saw 12 kids and provided 11 seats for those 12 kids.

One car had 4 boys ages 4, 6, 8, 10 (10 yo up front). The only kid in a seat was the 4yo in a NBB. We put him in a HBB and provided NBB for the other 3. Another Suburban had 5 kids: 6 mo, 3y, almost 4, 5, and 6. We provided 4 seats for her. Mom said the 3yo was 20 lbs so I put her RF and t he tech who was scribing flipped out and called over 2 other techs.

Raegansmom4

Didn't have any "tough decisions" today thank goodness. Worst was the forward-facing infant seat. 7 expired seats.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I was so tempted to stop at the check at the rest area on the garden state parkway (bloomfield area). But it was past the exit we usually get off. Maybe I should have? Was anyone from here, there? I didn't think I wanted to argue about keeping my 2.5 year old rf or the tether issue. The big van only has britax in it, interestingly enough. That will need to be remedied soon since 2.5 year old is 30 pounds with shirt and dry diaper.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC