Would you buy a carseat off of craigslist??

sholoulou

I found a regent on craigslist.. It looks in perfect condition. They said it was an extra seat and used about 10 times. No accidents and they are the only owner. Would you buy a seat off of craigslist?

ADS

Qarin

I wouldn't. People... say a lot of things, but my unfortunate experience is that they are not always saying the same truth as I would use.

What I like to suggest, about used seats, is: would you trust the previous owners with your child's life? I've gotten seats from friends, friends I would trust with my childrens lives, people I would leave my children overnight with and feel confident that they would be healthy and safe the next morning (though not necessarily happy, being left with random friends of mine!). I've never met someone via Craigslist who I had that level of trust with immediately...

BigDaddy

I would never buy a seat off of there, unless I were going to discard it and keep the cover. The seat could have been in an accident and still appear to be fine.

If the price seems too good to resist, my first thought would be that it had been in an accident, gotten replaced by the insurance company, and they were trying to sell it rather than destroy it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I can think of 2 scenarios in which I would buy seats off Craigslist:

-the seat would not be used to transport any children, such as buying it for the cover, buying for demonstration purposes only, buying for my kids to play with, etc. (I have a European Chicco seat that came to me this way-- it came with a C1 stroller with carrycot (not sold in the US) for $40. :D )

OR

-seat was brand new and seller could show me (and I could independently verify) current credentials as a certified CPST. (I figure CPSTs should know that you need to obtain seats from trustworthy sources, etc. And I'd still talk with them about it before buying.)

Raegansmom4

-the seat would not be used to transport any children, such as buying it for the cover, buying for demonstration purposes only, buying for my kids to play with, etc. (I have a European Chicco seat that came to me this way-- it came with a C1 stroller with carrycot (not sold in the US) for $40. :D )

OR

-seat was brand new and seller could show me (and I could independently verify) current credentials as a certified CPST. (I figure CPSTs should know that you need to obtain seats from trustworthy sources, etc. And I'd still talk with them about it before buying.)

Yup. My CPST credentials was also the only way a woman's shelter would accept a car seat from me that I no longer needed. Which is great that they have a no-used-car-seat policy!

NannyMom

OR

There was a woman in my CPST class I wouldn't trust to get a seat from. She's also the same woman that had her 30 pound 3 year old in a backless booster because she never got around to putting the other carseat back in her car :rolleyes: So..... I doubt I'd even trust a seat from a CPST. Unless I could find them here ;)

Connor's Mom

There was a woman in my CPST class I wouldn't trust to get a seat from. She's also the same woman that had her 30 pound 3 year old in a backless booster because she never got around to putting the other carseat back in her car :rolleyes: So..... I doubt I'd even trust a seat from a CPST. Unless I could find them here ;)

That was what I was ganna say, lol. Why is a CPST exempt from the stranger deal? they can lie just as easy. And I think we all know someone that even though they have those 4 letters behind their name, they don't follow best practice or even the law. :shrug-shoulders:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

That's why I would talk to them first. ;) And not let on that I'm a CPST and scope out their knowledge before showing up. And I'd still want the seat to have all tags attached, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC