Vent Unbelievable!!!

poohbearkrazy

As I was getting ready to leave from dropping my DS off at school this morning, I saw something that literally made me sick to my stomach. I was walking to my truck and saw a lady carrying a small infant who was asleep in her arms. She walked up to her vehicle and opened the door and I sat there nosily spying to see what kind of car seat she was going to put the sleeping baby into? She had no seat what so ever. She took her sleeping baby (no more than 6-8 months old) And sat him on the back seat and proceeded to put the seat belt around him and them tuck the shoulder portion around behind the seat. The poor baby was just flopping all over. She propped a bunch of blankets around him to help him sit up secure. I sat there with my jaw to the ground and couldn't just sit there and watch her take off with her precious baby in that predicament. I walked up to her as she was getting into the driver seat and stopped her. She spoke no english at all and had no idea what I was saying. I told her that her baby was very unsafe the way she had him and that she needed to get him in a car seat right away. She just gave me a dirty look and rolled her window up. I got back in my vehicle and called the cops, but I wasn't able to follow her because I was sitting on empty. I sure hope that the cops caught up to her and did something about it. I've been sick to my stomach over it all day. When I pulled in my driveway, I just sat there and cried for a few minutes. I HATE STUPID PEOPLE!!!! :mad:

ADS

sholoulou

Wow! I would have walked over to her too.

I would go and buy an infant seat and go to school early and wait for her. If you see her give her the infant seat. Do you know someone who speaks spanish? Maybe have them go with your or at least write a kind note to give her along with seat. Maybe they are are just dirt poor or just uneducated on the whole carseat issue? who knows... praying for that baby until they get a carseat!

monstah

That's sad. If she didn't grow up in America, it's possible she is from somewhere that doesn't use car seats, seatbelts, etc.

If she will be at the school regularly, I would try to find someone (teacher, officer, tech) who speaks her language. I actually believe that with proper communication, she would be happy to learn how to keep her baby safe.

poohbearkrazy

Wow! I would have walked over to her too.

I would go and buy an infant seat and go to school early and wait for her. If you see her give her the infant seat. Do you know someone who speaks spanish? Maybe have them go with your or at least write a kind note to give her along with seat. Maybe they are are just dirt poor or just uneducated on the whole carseat issue? who knows... praying for that baby until they get a carseat!

Problem with this is I don't even have the funds to get my children safe restraints. I called all the local police departments to see if they had any seats and no one does. I also called my WIC office but they don't participate in the restraint program. I guess all I can do is pray :(.

2BunniesMommy

Wow. I was holding my breath as I read that. I think if someone who spoke her language was able to talk to her about it she would (possibly) be more open to suggestion. She was putting the baby in a seatbelt, totally inappropriate, but that tell me she wanted to have the baby safe but just doesn't know how or have the funds. I hope someone is able to help her before anything happens to that baby.

mykidsmylife

Yup I saw that crap all the time in El Paso. It kinda has made me numb.
A mom had her maybe 6-8m old sitting on her lap in a pick-up truck and her maybe 2 yr old sitting beside her. No car seats.
Another mom brought her kids (11m, 2 and 5) to daycare everyday with no car seats. Even when I told her where she could get them free.
Another family had a 7m old on their lap. I watched as the cop I called pulled them over and watched the mom walking down the street to get a car seat, laughing like it was a joke.

I have become numb. I still do care but I can't afford to get myself worked up over the ignorance of others.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC