Choices for keeping my 4 year old harnessed.

HKP1042

Choices for keeping my 4 year old harnessed. Apex 65?

Ok Ds is 4.5 and looks likehe is starting to get too tall for his car seat. He has an Evenflo Triumph (older 2005 version). He still has a little room but not sure how long it will last if he has a growth spurt. I want to get another high slot harness for my car without breaking the bank. Then I will put the Triumph in DH's truck and move his Chase to my MIL's car because the crappy seat she has is right at shoulder level now. In a perfect wold I would but a Nautilus for each car but money is super tight. Oh he is only like 34 lbs. or so so weight isn't a huge factor more so the higher harness slots.

So my choices are (in a resonable price range):
Graco Nautilus
Apex 65
Possibly the New Evenflo Generations (comes out in Oct.) if they raise the harness slots and don't raise the price too much.

The Nautilus is my first choice but if the Apex 65 and the Generations are good seats as well I would love to save some money and put it towards bills.

I know everyone loves the Nautilus.

Does anyone have an Apex 65 and what do you like/dislike about it?

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have an Apex. The top slots are not as high as the Nautilus, but around the height of the Marathon, or a little higher, I think. It's a wide seat. It needs vehicle support behind it; if you have low seat backs and no headrests it's unusable for older/taller kids. It's very cushy and kids like sitting in it (the ones I've had in it, anyway.) It has been pretty easy to install everywhere I've tried it (with seatbelt, haven't used LATCH.) It sounds like your son has a short torso, so he might actually have plenty of time in it. It doesn't tend to make a great booster for smaller kids, though, although for really wide kids it's okay.

HKP1042

If you can wait until Oct 1, you might consider the Chase 65. At $99, it is still less expensive than the nauti

I think we are going with the Evenflo Generations 65. I idn't know they made a Chase 65. Are the harness slots higher than the regular Chase? We have a regular Chase in DH's truck and he loves that seat but ds doesn't have long left in it.

disbugsmomma

Pretty sure the pp meant the Generations 65. :thumbsup: The Apex is a snap to install with latch too, at least in a Dodge truck. I have never installed it anywhere else.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Though it won't last as long as the Nautilus, just thought I'd mention if you need/could use another Chase, they're on sale at Target right now for $50.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Re: Choices for keeping my 4 year old harnessed. Apex 65?

your 4.5 year old fits into an old triumph??????

not to be a bother, but do you have a pic? The problem with the old triumph isn't the top slots, its the fact the shell is so short. The seat is outgrown either when the weight limit is reached, (which clearly hasn't happened here), when the shoulders go over the top slots, which i assume hasn't happened, OR, when the tops of the ears go over the shell. Are you sure his head isn't going over the top of the shell? The top slots in the triumph are all but useles, because by the time the childs shoulders are high enough to need them, then by extension, the childs head is already too high shell-wise, and thus, the seat is outgrown. does that make sense?

Or..you might just have a tiny, short-torsoed little kid, in which case...WHEEE! you won the carseat lottery, LOL!

I think having a giant child has completely jaded my sense of perception, LOL....dd wouldn't have fit into and old triumph at 2....

HKP1042

Re: Choices for keeping my 4 year old harnessed. Apex 65?

your 4.5 year old fits into an old triumph??????

not to be a bother, but do you have a pic? The problem with the old triumph isn't the top slots, its the fact the shell is so short. The seat is outgrown either when the weight limit is reached, (which clearly hasn't happened here), when the shoulders go over the top slots, which i assume hasn't happened, OR, when the tops of the ears go over the shell. Are you sure his head isn't going over the top of the shell? The top slots in the triumph are all but useles, because by the time the childs shoulders are high enough to need them, then by extension, the childs head is already too high shell-wise, and thus, the seat is outgrown. does that make sense?

Or..you might just have a tiny, short-torsoed little kid, in which case...WHEEE! you won the carseat lottery, LOL!

I think having a giant child has completely jaded my sense of perception, LOL....dd wouldn't have fit into and old triumph at 2....

Yes LOL he is little (and the funny part is he is my bigger child of the 3 for their age). I will post a pic when I get home from work. His ears are still below the top of the shell on the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC