15 Month Old not yet at bottom slots...

Blondie87

So, when I first put my 15 month old in the Marathon, he's right at the slots, after driving for a little bit, he is below. I showed Judi, and she said since he is over 1, she'd be okay with it... since he's not too much below.

I just think it's crazy that at 15 months he can't "technically" ride RFing in the seat, but can be FF! Well.. once he gains a pound or 2.

10124_246940265245_650315245_860682.jpg

slot.jpg
slot2.jpg

The slot is a tiny bit above the cover slot. My finger is in the slot in the second pic. Would you be comfortable with this? It should be fine right?

ADS

MOM25BOYS

My DS5 is the same way in the Marathon and the RA50. He is more below in the RA50 and just about right at the 1st slots or a smidge above now at 18mths. Crazy I know that a child of that age still hasn't reached the slots. Good to know though that I am not the only one who has a kid with a short torso. :p I am not a tech, but I am ok with it. He fit the same way in the TF also so I don't have much of an option really. :rolleyes:

MySillyKids

My DD is 19 months, and still not at the bottom slots on her MA either. She's on the second slots in the myRide though.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Yep, ds was well over a year before technically coming even with the bottom slots in his aoe(same height as Ma)..heck, even now at 20 months, he's just barely over...I can't imagine when he will need the 2 nd slots...when he's 3?

Stresch

We had the same issue. However, at the time Britax was okay with using the bottom slots while still under them. I don't even know when my daughter reached them. We also moved them up before she was completely "at" the second slots because, due to the angle of the bottom slots (and the chest clip), the straps were falling off her shoulders.

Of course my teeny short torsoed girl wasn't actually at 20 pounds until 2 years (which is when they started weighing her with clothes on).

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My 23 m/o still needs the first slots on her MA. :)

Wow! I knew Jonas was long in the torso, but he was bordering on needing 2nd from bottom slots when I tried him in the MA at 4mos.

OP - I agree, the fit looks fine on him and he's pretty close to being even.

fyrfightermomma

I think my kids were on the first slot until well after age 2. Yeah, its crazy. I never even tried to put them in it until over a year when they were a smidge below. I'd be fine with that. Straps are tight, he isn't gonna ramp up very much. Yikes though! They gotta do something about that seat or include some infant padding or something.

arly1983

HOLY COW! S is ALMOST at the second from the bottom slots on his RA. It was so close that I moved them up :eek: (bad mama). He is in the TF RFing now and almost needs the second from bottom slots without the padding (BTW, THICK!!!) I am hoping that his torso grows a smidge before he hits 22 lbs and I switch him back to the RA.

(I need to be able have the kids go behind his seat for as long as possible and the TF without headrest offers a bit more room than the RA but he is 20.5 lbs now)

Spam

Wow, that's a short torso... or A's is super long.. he's almost on the 3rd on the TF and just a smidge below the 4th on the RN, His blvd is cranked so the wings almost line up the shell :eek:

all together ooky

Wow! What a short torso. Both my kids are long torsoed-I've always wished for a short torsoed child so didn't have to worry about outgrowing seats by height. Nora's 17 months and has been in the second slots since before she was a year. But she was tall to begin with-she actually fit as a newborn-yeah, one of the few.

Pixels

Personally, I don't consider that "at," I consider it below.

Would I be comfortable with it? Depends who I'm talking to. You? Yeah, I'm okay with it. I know the harness will be tightened properly, chest clip in proper place, blah blah blah. Random parent at BRU who more likely than not will have 3-5 misuses? Maybe not. I'd probably encourage them to get a different seat that fits their child properly.

Would I tell any parent that their 15mo 20 pounder who is slightly below the bottom slots needs to FF their child because their child doesn't fit RFing? No way, no how. I'd emphasize proper harness tightness and positioning and let it slide.

Seriously, Britax, fix those bottom slots. I have reservations about suggesting a Britax convertible to anyone for a child under a year to a year and a half, unless I can personally see the child in the seat.

Blondie, do you know what size onesies he wears? For comparison purposes. I know DD's onesie size but I don't know her torso height.

abigaylebelle

I put my 2.5yo ds in a ma at target and he was really just above the bottom slots. I agree that britax needs to lower bottom slots. The roundabout seems to be a little lower than the ma, blvd is about the same as ma, and the diplomat is very high. As in my 2 yo at the time was not yet even with the lowest slot position in the diplomat. I used the ra before he was technically even with the slot but in retrospect I should've just continued to use his infant seat until he truly fit.

snowbird25ca

Well, on the flip side, any infant who doesn't fit in a Britax convertible also won't have outgrown their infant seat yet unless he/she is over 22lbs. Britax convertibles won't fit the vast majority of newborns, but unless a kid either a) has an exceptionally long neck and head or b) is going to exceed 22lbs while still having lots of height growing room in the infant only seat, then they'll fit perfectly fine by the time a child is transitioning from an infant seat to a convertible seat. :thumbsup:

Pixels

Since Britax rates their convertibles from 5 pounds, they should be usable from 5 pounds. That means from birth, for most babies. :twocents:

snowbird25ca

Since Britax rates their convertibles from 5 pounds, they should be usable from 5 pounds. That means from birth, for most babies. :twocents:

Many of the convertible seats rated from 5lbs don't actually fit 5lb babies. In fact only Evenflo and Graco, plus the Scenera (and maybe the Avenue?) actually fit newborns. Actually, the Coccoro fits a newborn too. So I guess about 50/50 may be more accurate representation.

No seat fits every child, so while maybe annoying, I think it's just another case of making sure a seat fits a child before purchasing.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to rate them from 10lbs starting weight, but then the parents with 6lb kids who actually fit would be complaining. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC