CPS certification course in Dallas, TX?

mom2threeboys

I am really wanting to get certified. Does anyone know if anyone offers a course near Dallas area? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The only organization that certifies techs is Safe Kids, and if you go to http://www.safekids.org/certification/ and click on "find a course" you can see if there's one near you. A quick search didn't show anything, other than Texas is a REALLY big state and some of them are eight hours from you. It's a national certification, so checking Oklahoma and Louisiana may help as well.

I'm surprised there aren't any in Dallas, though.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They are very infrequent in that area, from what I understand. You may have to be patient. Do check Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana as well.

I used to live in the Dallas area and yeah, it's, um, kind of a CPS desert... Of course now I moved to L.A., which is kind of like a CPS black hole. ;) I had to wait a year and a half and drive two hours away to San Diego to get certified. ;)

Really, it's quite common to have to wait for a course in a lot of places. Do make sure in your search you include restricted classes, sometimes you can e-mail and get in with approval anyway.

mom2threeboys

Okay that is where I have been checking and the closest is at least 5 hours away. I have a nursing 14 month old and can not do that right now. I will keep checking for one closer to me or when he gets older I may take a trip. : ) But yeah..I can not believe that DFW doesn't offer them much! Crazy.:(

Thanks for the help.

Joyofbirth

Have you tried contacting the director of SK in Fort-Worth. Her name is Dana something with a W. She asked me to take the course at my last check. I can't because it's too expensive. And I have a nursing baby I can't leave that many hours a day. If you can't find her e-mail on the SK site, I will pm it to you later. I'll have to look for it.

celtic1885

Have you tried contacting the director of SK in Fort-Worth. Her name is Dana something with a W. She asked me to take the course at my last check. I can't because it's too expensive. And I have a nursing baby I can't leave that many hours a day. If you can't find her e-mail on the SK site, I will pm it to you later. I'll have to look for it.

her name is Dana Walraven - she is awesome. Give me a few minutes to go through my emails - I think there is either one starting or just finished....back in a few.

ETA: ok bad news it was this past week in Plano Sept 9-12.
I double checked the website and nothing in N. Texas through the end of the year. I get emails from both Tarrant County and Collin County SK so if I hear anything I'll try to post.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm thinking once a year is probably enough to expect in most areas; let's be honest, in many areas it's hard to get funding and almost as hard to convince enough people to take the training. :( Be patient, though! It is worth it. And if you do contact the SK director, make sure you ask if there is ever a need for volunteers at seat checks to do things like run the check-in table or scribe. You can learn a lot about the process and the CPS community that way. (From what I hear the CPS community in DFW is small but dedicated, but running a very uphill battle...)

mom2threeboys

her name is Dana Walraven - she is awesome. Give me a few minutes to go through my emails - I think there is either one starting or just finished....back in a few.

ETA: ok bad news it was this past week in Plano Sept 9-12.
I double checked the website and nothing in N. Texas through the end of the year. I get emails from both Tarrant County and Collin County SK so if I hear anything I'll try to post.

Oh no bummer! Plano is in my backyard pretty much. I am in Allen. Thanks so much for checking. I will contact Dana with SK and keep looking.

mom2threeboys

I'm thinking once a year is probably enough to expect in most areas; let's be honest, in many areas it's hard to get funding and almost as hard to convince enough people to take the training. :( Be patient, though! It is worth it. And if you do contact the SK director, make sure you ask if there is ever a need for volunteers at seat checks to do things like run the check-in table or scribe. You can learn a lot about the process and the CPS community that way. (From what I hear the CPS community in DFW is small but dedicated, but running a very uphill battle...)

I will do that! I would love to help out in any way. My main goal is to get certified. Mostly for my own kids but I do really want to help others too!

Thanks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC