Question Australian seat - Britax Safe 'n Sound Maxi Rider

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have a friend who recently moved to Australia and I'm hoping some of you guys with experience over there may be able to answer a couple questions.

This is the seat she has: http://www.britax.com.au/Websites/Business/brproddb.nsf/LUPages/Child Car Seats-Maxi Rider#

Link to instruction manual is on that page there as well. :thumbsup:

Primary question is that the seatbelt doesn't lock and the seat doesn't come with a locking clip. I initially ASSumed that the seat would have built-in lock-offs, but this isn't the case.

So is this normal for an Australian seat? Or is there a piece of the puzzle that I'm missing? Is there something normally done to lock the seatbelt length when the seat is installed or do seats usually have quite a bit of movement and are only steadied by the top tether? There's no mention of how much movement is acceptable once the belt is tightened, so I'm kind of at a loss.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Frontier doesn't have lockoffs or a locking clip, either, and there are still seatbelts in use here in the US that don't lock. I'm wondering if it's not just a Britax thing. ;)

I know you can buy locking clips (including, I think, those cool snappy-clippy ones like the lockoff on the Coccoro, etc.) as an accessory in baby stores in Australia. That's what I'd do.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Frontier doesn't have lockoffs or a locking clip, either, and there are still seatbelts in use here in the US that don't lock. I'm wondering if it's not just a Britax thing. ;)

I know you can buy locking clips (including, I think, those cool snappy-clippy ones like the lockoff on the Coccoro, etc.) as an accessory in baby stores in Australia. That's what I'd do.

The Frontier has instructions for getting a locking clip IIRC in the event that the seatbelt doesn't lock. I know that they allow the use of one anyways.

The person my friend was talking to had never heard of a locking clip and said the seatbelt just locks in a collision. Of course not all store associates/car dealerships are knowledgeable, but it does sound like this guy knew what he was talking about since he was able to compare CDN and AU regulations with my friend and decided that CDN regs were better, lol.

I did come across what it looks like Britax calls a Gated Buckle, so I suggested my friend call Britax. I'll come back and update this thread if I learn more. :thumbsup:

finn

I use a locking clip, I have used one the looks just like the gated buckle, but now i use a snazzy plastic clip, (http://www.exactus.co.nz/content/ourwork/exactusproductslock.htm) they are slightly easier, just kneel on the seat, pull the belt tight, undo the seat belt, put the locking clip on and then do the seat belt back up, check for movement (I use the 1 inch rule), attach the top tether pull tight and your on your way :)

KiwiGem

In my opinion, one thing that the Maxi II's are missing is an internal lock off of some sort. That & maybe a higher harness weight rating but oh well, we can only but hope! The higher price range Safe N Sound convertibles do but not lower end convertibles or the Maxi II & Explorer harnessed boosters.

Most stores that sell the Maxi II will also sell the Safe n Sound brand locking clip which is curved & while it's the worst thing ever to put on seat belts (expect to break a nail or two while doing it) they lock really well!

I've attempted to install a Maxi II in my SIL's car using the Exactus locking clip that Finn suggested, but in this particular car there was no room to put the locking clip on at the latch plate & it got a bit caught up in the belt path (twisting the buckle stalk didn't help) so the flatter SnS locking clip worked better for that particular install.

There are still a lot of makes & models of cars here in New Zealand that don't have locking seatbelts but not enough parents are aware of the need to purchase & use locking clips if they don't come with the seats, so it's not uncommon to check seat installations & have 6 inches or more of sideways movement :thumbsdown:

ben&jakesmum

I use a locking clip, I have used one the looks just like the gated buckle, but now i use a snazzy plastic clip, (http://www.exactus.co.nz/content/ourwork/exactusproductslock.htm) they are slightly easier, just kneel on the seat, pull the belt tight, undo the seat belt, put the locking clip on and then do the seat belt back up, check for movement (I use the 1 inch rule), attach the top tether pull tight and your on your way :)

OMG!!! I love you!!!! We brought our Radian with us when we moved here and when I have to install it, I was literally dreading having to use the standard locking clip. I have never seen these plastic ones before and they look so much easier to use. Off to order some :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC