Few radian questions?

ilo

I'm all new to Radian, and I have some basic questions about it.

Can it use LATCH in the middle seat like you can with Britax seats (of course only if car manual allows it)?

Does it take more room RF than Boulevard?

Does it have more or less legroom than Britax seats?

Does it have RF tether and can it/ should it touch the front seat if RF with higher weight?

How old kids usually fit in it RF or FF?

Do you think kids can make it as long as they can in Britax Multitech?

And about this
"LATCH installation up to 80 lbs, no seat belt required with SuperLATCH"

I thought the LATCH bars inside the car only allowed the install up to 40lbs (or something like that)??

ADS

monstah

Can it use LATCH in the middle seat like you can with Britax seats (of course only if car manual allows it)?
YES (AS LONG AS YOU HAVE CENTER LATCH.)

YES

LOTS MORE

Does it have RF tether and can it/ should it touch the front seat if RF with higher weight?
YES & YES IF THE CAR ALLOWS IT.

OLDER THAN THE BRITAX SEATS

I DUNNO

And about this
I thought the LATCH bars inside the car only allowed the install up to 40lbs (or something like that)??
IT IS A NEW SYSTEM THAT IS NOT AVAILABLE YET.
NOT SURE WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT THAT YET, IF ANYTHING. WE SHOULD KNOW MORE BY MONDAY, I THINK. SOUNDS PRETTY COOL THOUGH.

crunchierthanthou

only if it's a dedicated LATCH position with standard anchor spacing. meaning, no borrowing like you can with a Briatx.

yes, in my experience. the shell is taller and the rf boot often makes it difficult to get more upright.
more, because the shell doesn't have high sides.
it can tether rf. it can be braced if your vehicle allows it (some with advanced airbags don't). it doesn't have to be though.

with the new 40-45 lb limits? easily age 4 for many children.
I don't know. I don't have any direct experience with a Multitech. I do know that the new XTSL is cheaper, legal and will last plenty long. :twocents:
And about this
it still depends on the vehicle manufacturer and their limits on the anchors. I'm not quite sure what they mean by superLATCH.

again, it depends on the vehicle. some state a 40 lb limit, a few more say 48, and a good number either defer to the child restraint manufacturer or don't address it at all.

ilo

only if it's a dedicated LATCH position with standard anchor spacing. meaning, no borrowing like you can with a Briatx.

I need to read my manual once again. It states that all 3 positions can be used with LATCH but it only has the anchors on both sides, not in the middle. I have never measured if the middle space is exactly the same length than outboard positions, probably not. How do you keep the toddlers from touching the seatbelt while driving. Mine is constantly trying to crab it, she catches it with her feet and pulls a little bit to get it in to her hands. There is no way I could use a RF seat with her that is not LATCH.

Are there any cars who has 3 sets of LATCH anchors at the same row?

I don't know. I don't have any direct experience with a Multitech. I do know that the new XTSL is cheaper, legal and will last plenty long. :twocents:

I was asking as we are travelling to Europe when DD will be 3 and could easily bring her multitech. Less than 1 year after that we will move there. So when she outgrows her current 33lbs weight limit we either need to buy new US seat and use it as long as she can (illegally in Europe) or buy Multitech and use it less than 1 year illegally here in US and legally in Europe as long as she fits. I kind of like the Radian better as she could use it FF too.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I need to read my manual once again. It states that all 3 positions can be used with LATCH but it only has the anchors on both sides, not in the middle. I have never measured if the middle space is exactly the same length than outboard positions, probably not. How do you keep the toddlers from touching the seatbelt while driving. Mine is constantly trying to crab it, she catches it with her feet and pulls a little bit to get it in to her hands. There is no way I could use a RF seat with her that is not LATCH.

Buckle the belt in while there's no seat installed, then lock it from the shoulder. Then you install the seat in front of the locked belt. That will keep her from being able to play with it. OR, use the seatbelt to install the seat. Then you have zero concern. If she's playing with the seatbelt next to her, just buckle it in and lock it away from her.

Are there any cars who has 3 sets of LATCH anchors at the same row?

Yes. Some American cars do. There was a list floating around here from a while ago, so it may have changed.

Wendy

crunchierthanthou

ilo, what do you drive?

here's a current list of vehicles with 3 sets of LATCH in the second row from the 2009 LATCH manual (from this thread)-

Acura
07-09 MDX

Buick
MY 08-09 Allure
MY 02-05 Century
MY 02-05 Lesabre
MY 03-05 Park Ave
MY 06-09 LaCrosse
MY 06-09 Lucerne
MY 03-05 Regal

Cadillac
MY 05-09 DTS
MY 02-04 Deville
MY 03-04 Seville
MY 05-09 STS

Chevy:
MY 05-09 Cobalt
MY 02-09 Impala
MY 02-07 Monte Carlo

Dodge:
MY 02-03 Intrepid

Ford
MY 03-09 Expedition

Honda
MY 09 Pilot
MY 06-09 Ridgeline

Jeep:
MY 06-09 Commander

Lincoln:
03-09 Navigator

Pontiac:
MY 02-05 Bonneville
MY 03-08 Grand Prix
MY 08-09 G8

Saturn:
MY 03-07 Ion
MY 02-05 L series (sedan and wagon)
MY 02-07 Vue

Toyota:
MY 08 Sequoia
MY 04-09 Sienna 8 passenger

note: these are the ones that can be used simultaneously if the seats fit side by side. There are a few more than either have shared or overlapping anchors. some smaller GM sedans have overlapping sets and the Honda CR-V and Acura RDX have a shared lower anchor that can only be used for one position at a time.

ilo

Buckle the belt in while there's no seat installed, then lock it from the shoulder. Then you install the seat in front of the locked belt. That will keep her from being able to play with it. OR, use the seatbelt to install the seat. Then you have zero concern. If she's playing with the seatbelt next to her, just buckle it in and lock it away from her.
Thank you, I'll do that.

ilo, what do you drive?

We have 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it clearly states on the manual that you can use LATCH on the center position but not at the same time with side positions. Some ppl seem to think it is not allowed, I don't know why as the manual text is very clear.

This is the exact text from the manual (can be downloaded http://www.manualnguide.com/manual-get/112/ )

All three rear seating positions have lower anchorages that are capable of accommodating LATCH-compatible child seats having flexible, webbing mounted lower attachments.

We have RF Boulevard in the center position installed with LATCH.

crunchierthanthou

Yes, your Boulevard is fine there. The spacing within the 20 inches Britax allows and Jeep says it's okay. On the other hand, the Radian requires standard spacing of 11", so you'd have to use the seatbelt in the center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC