Question Would you get the new Radian XTSL in my case?

Would you get a Radian XTSL for a child that has already been FF for quite a while?

• Yes

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters

toothfairymama

My daughter is 4 years and 1 month old. She weighs 38 pounds and is 41 inches tall and her torso height is 15 inches. I just heard about the Radian XTSL with the 45 pound rear-facing limit last night and I immediately wanted one. She's been forward facing since 2 years, 8 months and I'm just wondering if it would be dumb to rear-face her again. I don't know if it matters but she is not opposed to RFing at all, in fact when she sat in the my ride and I told her that she could use it "backwards" in the car she was really excited. When I told her we weren't going to buy it she put on her sad face and said "I wanna sit backwards."

ADS

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I would, but I really like the idea of RF'ing and going straight to a booster. However, I think she is very safe FF and wouldn't think twice about a child that age FF.

melniemi

Not sure, but probably not. If she had just turned 3, yes. But over 4? Probably not. My dd1 had to be turned due to weight at 2y7m and asked to rf for almost 2 years. Said her legs hurt. But now she's 43#s and over 5. I won't bother getting her one to rf in. She might end up with one eventually depending on when she outgrows her ma.

Would your dd have enough room above her head to rf?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's not dumb if it's what you want and she's okay with it, but I personally would not spend $300 on a new seat to RF a physically and developmentally typical 4yo.

NannyMom

Is it finacially difficult to spend the money? Are you ok with spending $300 on a seat and have her decide she hated RF a month later?

I probably would, if it wasn't finacially difficult. But I wouldn't do it because I think she's unsafe FF. I will likely end up buying a few of these seats when DD gets close to her 35 pound seat limits :whistle: I will buy new seats to RF longer until she's 4. After that, she can RF if she fits. (and with a 45 pound Radian, she can fit until she's 8)

toothfairymama

I could buy one, but it would cause some drama with my mom. My parents have pretty much been supporting my daughter and I while I'm in college so basically anything I buy has to be approved by her. However I am going to be getting an $1100 overage check from the student loans I took out probably next Monday and I could buy it with that. But that is where my mom will freak out. Because even though it's my money I'm spending, it means I will run out of money faster and have to get money from her and my dad. And she doesn't GET car seat safety AT ALL. She called me crazy for RFing my daughter at 2.5 and taking off her coat before she got in the car seat. And this summer when I was not with my parents and my daughter one day, my mom thought it would be okay to let my almost 4 year old ride in NOTHING BUT A SEATBELT. My dad knew I would flip out so he didn't let her do it. It absolutely kills me that she doesn't take me seriously. I mean it's fine if she doesn't understand my rules as long as she follows them. Sorry this turned into a rant...

But anyway, I'm not going to spend the money on a $300 seat because my daughter is normal healthy 4 year old who is fine FF.

Suzibeck

I voted "no" but only after reading your follow-up post. Under those circumstances, I wouldn't buy the seat. If I had lots of money to spare, I would certainly consider it. My 7yo would love to still be rf and she begs me to import a seat so she can go back rfing. I doubt she would fit height wise even if I did however. When my MA expires in Aug, I will be looking at the new seats that rf longer to use for my baby, but I'll only buy if our money situation has improved. We can get by with just her TF and that will take her until about age 5 at her current growth rate. I really don't see a need to rf her longer than that.

emandbri

I have a feeling that so many people will want these seats that you would have no problem selling it after she reaches 45 lbs.

katiesmommy

This is a difficult one for me because I'm struggling with it as well. Though missymoo is still under 35lbs, but in order to continue to rearface her I would have to get another radian. We have an xt, but it's the only seat that will work in my truck and only works forward facing (tiny truck). I'm leaning towards no though.

nomatt

What are the top harness heights in the new seat? Anyone know? That would sway my opinion too - would the height/top of seat requirement be met before the weight limit?

I also agree, with the money situation, I wouldn't move healthy 4 yo to rear facing.

Sandy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC