New weight standards coming for Canada!!!

JaRylan

Hello everyone,
I phoned SGI (Saskatchewan Governmnet Insurance) Traffic Safety division today was told "that Transport Canada is going to release an intent to change the standards" in January with an effective date of April 1, 2007. The change that they are requesting is that forward-facing harnessed weight will be 65lbs.

She is going to be calling Transport Canadad to find out if they will be issuing approval stickers for HWH seats that were bought prior to the new standard. Hopefully the answer is yes so that my Radian 65 that was purchased Dec 24th will be good to 65lbs "after" April 1st. Rylan is still under the Canadian limit at the moment.

If anyone would like to call SGI themselves to confirm the Regina number is 751-1200 or 1-800-667-8015.

I posted this under Coffee Break because I didn't want to create any confusion if I haven't worded something correctly.

My other exciting news is that I helped someone (a random stranger) choose a Radian today at Canadian Tire for her 13 month, 26lb boy. I made sure that she had "floppy" seat belts and told her that it has been an issue for installing in some vehicles. She was going immediately to SGI to have them install it rear-facing!

Thanks,
Jacqui

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
That is great that they told you that!

When I talked to our guy at MPI he told me he didn't think they would increase the weight or redifine what a "child" is. I hope he is wrong and that this really does happen!

I'll call him tomorrow to see what he says.

Lea_Ontario

I'm thrilled that they've set a date - I was told a few months ago that they were "looking at" increasing the weight limits here.

BUT - am I going to hold my breath to see it actually come to light in time to help MY kids ?? No.

And, with a 4-yr old with Asperger's Syndrome (that's basically High-functioning Autism), who can't sit still for the life of him, who is already sitting on the 40-lb line - I really REALLY wish I could get a higher harness weight for him.

JaRylan

Hi Kashi,
I know what you mean...I'm after the higher weight harnessed seat because Rylan has Myoclonic Astatic Epilepsy. His daily average for seizures is between 20-40 (have to update the spreadsheets once he is home from visiting with his dad). At one time his average was 250/day. Maybe if I always had an adult sitting beside him in a vehicle we could do the booster. Hmmm, maybe if the weight change doesn't happen I'll ask Transport Canada to find me an adult instead of a HWH seat, lol.

Jacqui

Lea_Ontario

Hi Kashi,
I know what you mean...I'm after the higher weight harnessed seat because Rylan has Myoclonic Astatic Epilepsy. His daily average for seizures is between 20-40 (have to update the spreadsheets once he is home from visiting with his dad). At one time his average was 250/day. Maybe if I always had an adult sitting beside him in a vehicle we could do the booster. Hmmm, maybe if the weight change doesn't happen I'll ask Transport Canada to find me an adult instead of a HWH seat, lol.

Jacqui

Are there no seats in Canada with harnesses for children / adults with disabilities that use a higher weight?

I know a fair amount about the regular-use seats, but not about specialty ones.

JaRylan

There are very few that are affordable. Wascana Rehab is getting a Special Tomato seat in for someone and said that I could come in to look at it (but Rylan doesn't need that kind of support and I think it is $700 or something). Wascana also has 2 seats called the Gorilla that are in use. As soon as those seats are returned they are being destroyed (I told the OT how to do it properly and fun with a sledge hammer). There is the EZOn harness restraint ($300 but there is government funding for it).

If someone did need one of the very expensive seats they could always try applying to http://www.presidentschoice.ca/ChildrensCharity/Default.aspx It is through Presiden'ts Choice (Superstore) and for special needs children.

Have to go, company just arrived.

Jacqui

Lea_Ontario

I'm more just wondering *if* higher weighted seats are available at all.

Because you would expect those seats to have to meet standards of safety, right. So obviously - if there are ANY seats available that legally go beyond 48lbs harnessed, then the ability is already there to certify regular child seats to a higher limit.

Okay - coming out clear as mud.

Basically - if there is a seat (special needs or otherwise) out there already tested and certified for use in Canada - then the ability to test and certify any seat is there.

It's NOT a matter of not having the equipment to test beyond 48lbs.
It's NOT a matter of not realizing that some heavier people need restraining.

It proves that it boils down to politics and red tape.

smurf

I assume that this will mean that US seats rated to 65 lbs will also be rated to 65 lbs here (Radian, Marathon).

I was planning on using my Radians until they no longer fit my kids, shoulder-wise, regardless of weight (yes, I was planning on breaking the law, lol, or at least some kind of rule).

It is great news if it comes to pass.

JaRylan

Isn't red tape and politics fun!

I too was planning on using my Radian for as long as my son fits into it - he can't sit properly in a booster seat therefore he is safer in a harnessed seat, imo and in my circumstance.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Transport Canada is going to release an intent to change the standards" in January with an effective date of April 1, 2007

I talked to the guy at MPI, and he told me he didn't know they had set a date. Oh well, I am hoping for April 1,2007! YIPPEE! I also asked if when this is approved if I could use my marathon up to 65lbs. He said not unless Britax issues new stickers, and they can't issue new stickers unless it is the exact same seat as in the US. He said if I pulled over I could get fined and I said how many police officers look at the weight (or anything but to make sure the child is buckled), and he said if there was a CRS with them at a stop, then they get the police to check and issue a ticket. So if I (myself) am okay to use a MA to 65lbs but my seat says 48lbs and all is good unless I go through a stop what if I am a Canadian CRS (taking the course this month)? Since that would go against what I would tell people should I still do it? Hopefully not within the next two years with I have this problem and by then I am hoping to have another baby, and then get another Marathon or Radian to go to 65lbs for my oldest. So it isn't really an issue right at the moment.

I talked to Britax and they said yes it is the exact same seat :D the only differences is the labels and the translating. They also said they might issue labels but didn't know for sure :(

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Starlight

Senior Community Member
hmmm... if britax didn't give new stickers, i might yank the darn things off... keep the manual (w/ registration/dom) in the house... after all, you know how to use it, LOL.

the last time i took an MA to get it checked, the cpst couldn't find the registration/dom sticker anyway.

skaterbabs

At a check, a seat without stickers is immediately considered unsafe and illegal because the stickers are required by law to be there.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
well, the manuf. need to make them stick better then.

I have an infant seat that we used for less than 7 months starting last Spring. During the summer, the stickers all peeled off. Yes, all of them. Just came right off. I kept them, of course, they're in an envelope in my glove compartment, but if they're required - by law - to be there, than they aren't sticking them well enough.

crystal vowell

well, the manuf. need to make them stick better then.

I have an infant seat that we used for less than 7 months starting last Spring. During the summer, the stickers all peeled off. Yes, all of them. Just came right off. I kept them, of course, they're in an envelope in my glove compartment, but if they're required - by law - to be there, than they aren't sticking them well enough.

I agree. You can put clear tape over them though when you notice they are starting to peel.I don't know the answer about what to do since they completely fell off. What is the brand of infant seat I would call and ask for replacement stickers.

skaterbabs

that sounds like a poor quality glue was used, and may be grounds for a recall. Call them company and complain, and then file a report with NHTSA. AT the very least the manufacturer should provide you with a new set of stickers.

It is acceptible to put clear packing table over them to prevent them from peeling off.

BudgieStew

They better issue new stickers or I will have a fit...we just bought DD's MA in November and she will be in that sucker for years considering that she just turned one. Its not like we will be upgrading our seats or reeplacing our brand spankin new car seats anytime soon.
Same with the Radian we plan on buying for DS next month.

If we have a seat that can go to 65 lbs but because of some stickers its not legal. I will :eek: :mad: :( :eek: :mad: is there an exploding head smilie.

I talked to the guy at MPI, and he told me he didn't know they had set a date. Oh well, I am hoping for April 1,2007! YIPPEE! I also asked if when this is approved if I could use my marathon up to 65lbs. He said not unless Britax issues new stickers, and they can't issue new stickers unless it is the exact same seat as in the US. He said if I pulled over I could get fined and I said how many police officers look at the weight (or anything but to make sure the child is buckled), and he said if there was a CRS with them at a stop, then they get the police to check and issue a ticket. So if I (myself) am okay to use a MA to 65lbs but my seat says 48lbs and all is good unless I go through a stop what if I am a Canadian CRS (taking the course this month)? Since that would go against what I would tell people should I still do it? Hopefully not within the next two years with I have this problem and by then I am hoping to have another baby, and then get another Marathon or Radian to go to 65lbs for my oldest. So it isn't really an issue right at the moment.

I talked to Britax and they said yes it is the exact same seat :D the only differences is the labels and the translating. They also said they might issue labels but didn't know for sure :(

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

canadianmom2three

Russ from Radian assured me they will be issuing new stickers for both the Radian 65, and the Radian Premier (what they will call the Radian 80 in Canada, since it too will be for use only to 65 pounds, but comes with lovely pillows and cushy fabric:rolleyes: )

JaRylan

Update: New weight standards coming for Canada!!!

Hello everyone,
I phoned SGI (Saskatchewan Governmnet Insurance) Traffic Safety division today was told "that Transport Canada is going to release an intent to change the standards" in January with an effective date of April 1, 2007. The change that they are requesting is that forward-facing harnessed weight will be 65lbs.

She is going to be calling Transport Canadad to find out if they will be issuing approval stickers for HWH seats that were bought prior to the new standard. Hopefully the answer is yes so that my Radian 65 that was purchased Dec 24th will be good to 65lbs "after" April 1st. Rylan is still under the Canadian limit at the moment.

If anyone would like to call SGI themselves to confirm the Regina number is 751-1200 or 1-800-667-8015.

I phoned SGI back the other day as I had not heard from them. The lady had talked to Trasnport Canada and they told her that things were being reviewed and that TC was meeting with the American organization about standards and such, possibly on Feb 8th? She also mentioned that Dave from Sunshine Kids had phoned her (asked for her specifically) and asked her about the weight limit being changed, that they had been hearing some rumblings from consumers. She said that he said that if the standard was raised that they would issue stickers. She suggested that I should phone Transport Canada as she wasn't able to find anything concrete.

So I phoned TC and he said that they were reviewing the forward facing limit as well as some other things. That these things take time and that they hoped to have changes in place in March, April, May or June. I asked if it would help if we lobbied our Members of Parliament or wrote letters. He said that TC is aware that the changes are needed and are working on them but that these things take time, yada yada yada...and that sending letters would do nothing to speed up the process as the process was already started.

I asked him what I should do once my special needs child reaches the Canadian ff limit of 48lbs and he said that I should hope that the changes take effect before he does and that if he does go to 48lbs I should phone them back. He's just under the 48 lbs now so I would think I'll be phoning them again soon.

I told him how important this change in weight limit for Canada would be and that it would really affect which car seats people would be buying.

Anyone else want to call TC and see what they get told this week?

Night,
Jacqui

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC