Carseat documentation to print

vonfirmath

Okay, I thought I had these links already, but I am having difficulty finding them.

What documentation do you need to take when travelling with a car seat on an airplane?

Is there documentation saying you can install it rear-facing if within the limits?

ADS

TheNimpsGirl

I have the following links. Are these what you are looking for?

Use of Child Restraint Systems on Aircraft - it's from the FDA and is a long pdf file

Regulatory Requirements Regarding Accommodation of Child Restraint Systems - also from the FAA, this is a one page pdf that says in plain language that no one can prohibit a child who has a seat of their own from using their child restraint

Also bring your car seat manual and have it open to the page where it says it is approved for air craft use. High light if you feel the need. I'd also print out whatever carrier your usings rules on child restraints if they have a policy on-line you can find.

vonfirmath

I've got those two, thanks! Thought there was a 3rd I needed to carry.

Yeah, better have the manual. The sticker airplane approval is not at all easy to find (though I will make sure I know where that is too)

InternationalMama

I thought I'd warn you that when I talked to our head flight attendant about the second document he said that just because it says that a seat -can- be moved to the bulkhead and that it -can- be installed aft-facing doesn't mean that he has to let me do it. He said ultimately it is his call and if he says it needs to be forward-facing or that it needs to be in a non-bulkhead row then it does.

I was using a Graco convertible and my son was under 1 year, but over 9 kg and the Graco manual does not have an age limit only a weight limit so following the manual the seat could be installed FF for my son.

vonfirmath

Yeah, I don't read that second link as requiring them to allow rear-facing either. Just a requirement to allow use of car seat.

He's 2 -- so. If I have to install the car seat face forward, do I need to change all the harnesses, etc. Or, for just on the plane, could I make the parental decision to install the way it is since I'll be putting it back rear facing when I get off?

aeormsby

I don't usually change the harness if I FF my RF LO on a plane. Especially if they are close to the slot. My DS will probably be FF in his Uptown on a plane on Sat. He's not much over the 2nd slot when RF, so he'll probably be right at it when FF because the recline angle is different. I will also be going against the 34" min to FF, I think he's about 22lbs by now. This is just for on the plane, he's 21 months and will probably be RF in the car for 2 more years.

I usually RF him on the plane, but it's me with the 2 kids on my own this time. And DD uses a Cares harness so I think it will be easier to keep them both happy if I can seat the DVD player on the tray for them both to watch :)

Ann

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC